• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
has anyone heard anything about the County and the private property owner recently coming to terms for the County to acquire the beach parcel at the Eastern Lake outflow (19-3S-18-16080-000-0130) that is directly south of the Walton County Port Authority parcel containing the Eastern Lake beach access?

I heard this was the case from two different sources a few weeks ago while spending time on the isthmus. We haven't seen any of the "no trespassing" signs or the signs restricting people to use a certain beach chair vendor this year; in fact, we haven't seen many vendor beach chair setups on the parcel this year.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The county voted to approve the purchase about a month ago. It probably hasn't been finalized but I haven't heard anything else about it.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
They have been dealing with two parcels in that area, one on either side of the lake outfall. They approved a contract for purchase of the Russell property on June 14, which is believe is adjacent to the Port Authority property. They are supposed to take up a contract on the other property,at the county commission meeting on Tuesday. It has been stated that the TDC is funding these purchases.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Miznotebook: I was under the impression that the Harrell property to the west of the inlet was secured well before the Russell property on the east side. I have never known you to be wrong with the facts, so I'm hoping it's me this time.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
They've been working to get the Harrell/Head property for quite some time, but the purchase contract has not been approved yet. It's on the agenda for Tuesday's meeting. The asking price went up after the contract on the Russell property was approved.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Such a travesty that any property anywhere near an outfall was ever made private.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
The property I'm referring to is the beachfront lot - fronting the Gulf of Mexico and adjacent to (and currently owned by/with) the long-time renovation project house at 187 San Roy Dr. Is it being acquired along with the above-referenced parking parcels?

Will the Harrell & Head acquisitions include the two existing houses which, depending on the pattern of the outflow, sometimes nearly hang over the lake?