• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay
There will be an important public meeting held tomorrow, Thursday, Feb. 9th from 6 PM ? 8:30 PM at the Seagrove Baptist Church. The engineering firm, Preble-Rish, will be there to discuss the sand removal from the mouth of Eastern Lake and their proposal for the outflow of Eastern Lake. This is a meeting to get neighborhood input. It is hoped that some of our commissioners and other interested parties from the county will be there. ELNA is strongly encouraging attendance by it?s? members and anyone else in the community, that may be interested. Please plan on attending and call you friends and neighbors (ELNA members and non-members) and ask them to attend. It is vital that we have a good showing!!

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
Re: Eastern Lake Neighborhood Assoc. (ELNA) meeting - 2/9/06

I own a home off of Eastern Lake and live out of state and will not be able to attend. Can you please explain why this meeting was called. This is the first I have heard of anything involving engineers and Eastern Lake.

Thank you.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay

Wastin Away said:
I own a home off of Eastern Lake and live out of state and will not be able to attend. Can you please explain why this meeting was called. This is the first I have heard of anything involving engineers and Eastern Lake.

Thank you.

Hi,

I don't have all the details, but a LOT of sand has accumulated at the outflow of Eastern Lake, which has blocked the lake from opening and closing naturally. The influx of sand has apparently happened both naturally and from beachfront homeowners bringing in sand. The lake has been unable to open in quite some time and an engineering team wants to open up the lake manually but to a greater extent than ELNA deems necessary and they feel would cause even further harm to the lake. The lake is rising and many of the docks on the lake are under water .. there's also a lot of additional run-off into the lake now with all the new construction going on and with the outflow being blocked the lake is unable to "cleanse" itself and a lot of algae has appeared along with dead-fish!

For full details, please contact Jeanne Wilson, jeannie@sugarsandproperties.com, she's the Secretary for ELNA and if you're an Eastern Lake neighborhood home owner, it would be good for you to become part of this association. They send out e-mail updates regularly on the "goings-on" in the area.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington

Thanks for the info Lois. We will definitely attend. There have been many problems with the lake and if something is not done soon it could actually "die" from what I understand. I can only hope that our commissioner makes this meeting as he has missed other important meeting s in the past regarding EL.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Surely this has happened more than once over the past 10,000 years.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington

Kurt, I don't think it has been this bad in many, many years. I know the couple that own the house at the mouth of the lake and the gulf and he has not seen this kind of problem since they have owned there house.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Franny said:
Kurt, I don't think it has been this bad in many, many years. I know the couple that own the house at the mouth of the lake and the gulf and he has not seen this kind of problem since they have owned there house.

I would be interested to know from some of the old timers if they've seen it this way. I suspect the answer would be no. Might have to go back a hundred years or more, but it is a cycle.

Please let us know the results of the meeting.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I wonder if Mr CJ will be able to attend this meeting. :dunno: CJ, if Mr CJ is ever going to get on board, this would be an opportune time.;-)

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

Not sure I understand the need for dredging at the moment. I walk that part of the beach once or twice a week and I'd say the outflow from the lake right now is wide, deep, and fast flowing as I've seen it since I've been here (2 years). In other words, it was definitely not blocked as of day before yesterday.

Lois

Beach Lover
Aug 23, 2005
On the bay

TreeFrog said:
Not sure I understand the need for dredging at the moment. I walk that part of the beach once or twice a week and I'd say the outflow from the lake right now is wide, deep, and fast flowing as I've seen it since I've been here (2 years). In other words, it was definitely not blocked as of day before yesterday.

That's good news Tree Frog. When ELNA held their meeting a couple of weeks ago that was not the case and the "Old Timers" were VERY concerned. They had some great stories to tell of their lifetime on the lake and it was sad to hear that there are currently no fish or crabs to speak of. One woman said she saw a construction guy empty a bucket of paint in the lake :pissed: she of course reported it but, of course, nothing could be done at that point.