• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Darrin Miller

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2020
SRB
My family is thinking of buying a home in this area. Do we know when the lake will flow into the Gulf at Eastern Lake Outlet? Is it for the summer and does that just happen naturally at different times or is it done manually? It is incredible when it ties together.
Thanks
D Miller

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Eastern Lake breaks out periodically depending on rainfall and storms. Roughly about once a month. This particular time, it had to be dug out because tropical storm Cristobal deposited a lot of sand at the outfall. Also, during a normal breakout it usually gushes out in a torrent for about a day. This time, unusually high tides kept the outflow down to a very mild flow. It’s always changing, which makes it beautiful. All the lakes along 30-A break out from time to time.

Darrin Miller

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2020
SRB
Eastern Lake breaks out periodically depending on rainfall and storms. Roughly about once a month. This particular time, it had to be dug out because tropical storm Cristobal deposited a lot of sand at the outfall. Also, during a normal breakout it usually gushes out in a torrent for about a day. This time, unusually high tides kept the outflow down to a very mild flow. It’s always changing, which makes it beautiful. All the lakes along 30-A break out from time to time.
W

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
It's really spectacular and more rare when the gulf flows back into the lake. It was doing that last weekend at Grayton Beach.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Best of Inlet.jpg It might flow out for several days until the lake and gulf are at equilibrium. Then the Gulf's waves will gradually build up a berm. Then rainfall gradually builds the lake up a foot or two and it happens again.

Attachments

• Best of Inlet.jpg
    Best of Inlet.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 2

Darrin Miller

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2020
SRB
It promotes the best of all worlds... ocean kayaking, snorkeling, lake kayaking, paddle boarding. Etc
Anywhere else that is similar on 30A?

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
It promotes the best of all worlds... ocean kayaking, snorkeling, lake kayaking, paddle boarding. Etc
Anywhere else that is similar on 30A?

yes, on the eastern end of 30A, Lake Powell's outfall is really nice as well. Can be accessed via Camp Helen State Park, or cross the bridge and take your first right into the Carillon development. Tell the guard you want to goto the Public Beach Access at Pinnacle Port (the high rise that you see going over the bridge). You will get a parking permit and drive thru Carillon and park in the designated Public Access spots. Head to beach and go west towards the outfall area. You will see the old pier pilings standing tall on the beach. It's a grayt place to walk around, even when the lake is not open! There's 8 public parking spaces, and a nice adventure. We are about a mile east of there, so i visit once or twice when we are in town. If the water is calm, i will put my kayak in on the beach, paddle down to the outfall, and then portage into the lake.

Occasionally, on some old beat up vehicle, you can spot a sticker with something like "Keep Lake Powell Open" or similar ; -)

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
Counting down the days til I’m back down there.

I read recently on here about locals only parking in Grayton. Are those 3-4 parking spots next to the boat launch now locals only? I will try to find the thread and ask there as well. I’m launching early so grabbing one of those has always been helpful.