Ebro Greyhounds

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by rolling dune, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rolling dune

rolling dune Beach Lover

I am wondering what our community feels about the recent discovery of the atrocity that has occured at Ebro. Having rescued many ex-racers from this track in the 90s, I can't help but wonder just how long this has been going on with no oversight by the owners of the track. The river has been a convenient source of disposal for many years from what I have been told. Ebro has been referred to as "The Last Chance Cafe" for dogs unfortunate enough to end up there. These dogs make the most loyal and loving pets ever. Calm and grateful to have a forever home. They are transported from track to track and handled by strangers their entire life. When they actually know love...you see it in their eyes. Please think about adopting one of these graceful ex-racers. Ebro does have an active adoption program.

2. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

According to reports the management was not aware of this situation and the criminal went so far as to mask the smell by placing rotting meat in a refrigerator outside the kennels which were under his control.

3. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

Dog racing should be banned. It's not "sport."

4. Koa

Koa Beach Fanatic

What did they find? I heard something like 33 dead greyhounds and additionally, multiple emaciated greyhounds. Is that correct?

Thinking about the big picture, I'm not sure what all goes on in dog racing, but the racing itself doesn't seem bad. However, it does seem that dog tracks often have connections to abuse of animals, and that is terrible. Years ago, there was talk of similar abuse in horse racing, but I don't hear about that anymore. I guess horses cost too much where dogs are less pricey.

Speaking as someone who has adopted three dogs (not from dog tracks), I can tell you in general that dogs know when they are rescued and make the most loving pets. I used to think it would be cool to have a particular breed or two of dogs, but after going to a shelter and adopting, I don't think I could ever buy a dog from a breeder.

5. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

I'll tell ya exactly how I feel about it. We drove by Ebro a couple of weeks ago and I thought "cool, we should go to a race sometime" Now, I wouldn't think of going there to support it.

Now, about the suspect. (If you're one of those pansies that doesn't condone violence for any reason, you need not read any further)

When I saw the photo of the suspect this is what I thought:
    Here's a guy who looks as if he eats very well, and very often. I would like to cram his fat ass in a dog carrier with a child abuser or some other equally disgusting scumbag, and duct tape them together at the neck, put them in a filthy stall and shut the door, and never come back.

There, I said it. Ya'll have a good day. :wave:

6. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

This breaks my heart. My parents rescued 3 Greyhounds in the past. They were the sweetest most gentle animals I have ever seen. They lived to ripe old ages with my parents.

I can't believe how these animals are treated. I to believe this practice of dog racing should be stopped! The animals are treated so poorly and are killed if not adopted after their "prime". I agree with SSB, this jerk needs to be starved and duct taped and left for dead in a too small kennel! Makes me so freaking mad that a human could do this to a helpless animal!

7. Koa

Koa Beach Fanatic

from Ch7, WJHG (video on link):

Panama City - More new developments Tuesday in the case of a man accused of killing more than 3 dozen Ebro greyhound racing dogs.

A greyhound adoption agency says the suspect, Ronald Williams, turned over a number of dogs for adoption aside from those that died.

A state regulatory agency that oversees dog racing is taking action.

Rodger Spencer with the Greyhound Pets of America says he's familiar with Ronald Williams.

The organization works with facilities like Ebro Greyhound Park to find homes for the dogs.

Spencer says Williams called the organization last week taking 8 of his dogs for adoption.

He says Williams claimed to have 10 total.

Spencer took 8 of the dogs, some nearly 15 pounds underweight.

"After he turned the 8 dogs over to us, he was stating to us and to others on the track that all he had left was two dogs. During that week witnesses would see him let out those two dogs and we assumed that's all he had."

Spencer and his colleagues notified a state inspector, which checked the kennel last Friday night.

That's when he discovered the 37 dead dogs.

Most of the dead looked like they'd starved to death.

Some of them had duct tape around their necks making it hard to breathe.

Five dogs were still alive.

Spencer claims Williams tried to mask the smell of the dead dogs from Ebro track officials and other dog owners.

"He actually placed an inoperative freezer outside his kennel and put rotten meat in it to, we assume., try and hide the smell of what was coming from inside the kennel, unfortunately," said Spencer.

It's safe to say his greyhound racing days in Florida may be over.

Tuesday the State Department of Business and Professional Regulation issued an emergency suspension of Williams' greyhound license.

"At this point, he's not able to work and we're moving to make sure that he cannot ever work again in Florida in the pari-mutuel wagering industry," said Jenn Meale.

Williams is being held in the Washington County Jail on 37 counts of animal cruelty.

His bond is 57,000 dollars and he could face more charges.

Sunday night, a Walton County Animal Control officer discovered the corpses of at least 8 dead greyhounds under the Highway 20 bridge on the Walton County side of the Choctawhatchee river.

They've now found a tattoo inside the ear of one of those dogs.

The information has been sent to the National Greyhound Association.

If they identify the dog as one of Williams', he could be facing even more charges.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  8. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

What a psycho! :eek:

Hope he rots in jail before he rots in hell.

9. sunspotbaby

Suspect: Dogs were fine 2 day ago. :pissed:

Trainer claimed dogs were OK two days before deaths | dogs, ebro, trainer - News - The News Herald

10. kathydwells

"It's safe to say his greyhound racing days in Florida may be over."

MAY BE OVER? Seriously? I would think that would have read "ARE" over, there should be no MAY to it.

11. Koa

Koa Beach Fanatic

awaiting trial and conviction, I'm sure, before making promises. (innocent until PROVEN guilty.

12. sunspotbaby

I hope the authorities are checking the kennel in Alabama. He can't be feeding those dogs either, especially while he's behind bars in Florida.

13. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Call CNN right now

Publicity of the bad kind is our best weapon against this type of abuse. Ebro park claims ignorance and no responsibility because the kennels were leased. Something is really fishy here and deserves some REAL investigation. Not just the perp that was arrested, the park as a whole should be turned inside out to untill we know the whole story. I just don't believe that this creep acted without anybody at the park knowing that something was amiss. My husband has spoken with the racing commision and the inspector. There excuse for lack of knowlege was "the door was locked". Pathetic! National coverage will bring well deserved heat to the industry in general, and Ebro in particular. Call the CNN news line at 404-827-1500.

14. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

a protest is scheduled for 1:30 sat. 11/6 (tomorrow) at the track

15. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

this is marty. the EBRO CARD ROOM is run at the same location, same people making money from the dog racing make money from the card room. this place should be boycotted along with the dog races at ebro. i know some sowalers are regulars there. they should be ashamed to return to the ebro card room.

16. rolling dune

rolling dune Beach Lover

Me again...For those unfamiliar with the "sport" of Greyhound racing, most are "retired" by the age of 3. Although some are fortunate to be adopted into loving homes, there are untold thousands that are destroyed each year. They are treated as a commodity. When they loose too often, they are no longer useful. There are decent trainers and then you have someone like this who comes along and exposes the industry for what it really is. I did meet a trainer at Ebro years ago that would contact me when he had dogs who were no longer moneymakers and he would meet me at the Ebro Motel and sneak them to me to go to an adoption program in Atlanta when I lived there. He is the one who told me about the convenience of the river.

17. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

You take pictures for a living, so do paparazzi, should we protest and boycott you?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  18. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Why would he sneak them to you? Based on your accounts why wouldn't the owners/trainers leave them in the parking lot?

I understand that there is a stigma associated with racing dogs. However, at the same time, I have to ask have you ever walked a greyhound without a leash? These dogs are bread to do what they do and it's even more cruel to entrust them to a 'forever home' that kennels them or lives in an area where the dog cannot run. It's akin to taking a chef out of a restaurant and serving them Hamburger Helper for the rest of there lives.

This entire incident was the work of one individual who went out of his way to cover up what he was doing.

The management at Ebro is distraught over this, not due to the negative publicity, but due to the treatment of the dogs. They are in the process of correcting the supervision of the dogs.

If you don't agree then by all means continue to raise hell and protest, keep in mind that Ebro is one of the largest employers in that area and many families will be affected by your snap judgment.

19. kathydwells

I love you, but I have to respectively disagree with you on this. We had three Greyhounds and all of them were very laid back and never wanted "run". They were let off leash in our yard and never tried to "run". Hell, they were sick of running. They were made to do it so much at the track! The were content to lay around and just be loved by their humans, and love them back which they did with such gratitude in their hearts!

"A very common misconception regarding Greyhounds is that they are hyperactive. In retired racing Greyhounds, this is usually never the case. Greyhounds can live comfortably as apartment dogs, as they do not require much space and sleep close to 18 hours per day. In fact, due to their calm temperament, Greyhounds can make better "apartment dogs" than smaller, more active breeds."

The management at Ebro should be upset about what happened with these dogs. I am sure if they dug a little more they will find others who have mistreated and neglected their animals as well.

I hate that the people who work there will be hurt, I hate they have to work there. But, I feel very strongly that dog racing should be illegal and I will never waiver from that. Keep the card room open, but quit the dog racing!

20. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

My friend and I are going to the Rally at Ebro today with our two Grey's and to my knowledge it begins at 1:00. And everything that was said here is true about Greyhounds. They make absolutely wonderful pets and are so grateful for the love and care you send their way. Honey is our first but would do it again in a heartbeat. We have owned several breeds over the years but in my opinion, Greyhounds are the best.
    Do you know this monster Williams has been a Greyhound trainer for 17 years!!! Yes, SEVENTEEN years and he also has dogs in Alabama currently and has two brothers who are trainers as well. Makes me wonder what happened to all the dogs that were in his care over his 17 year career but I don't want to go there. He was also in trouble with authorities twice for drugging his dogs and his license SHOULD have been pulled then too but it wasn't. He is the scum of the earth and frankly, they should keep him on a special diet in prison. No food, no water, only duct tape!!!