1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Powered Bicycles

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Wildernester, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Wildernester

Wildernester Beach Lover

If motorized vehicles are not permitted on the bike/walking paths along 30A, 395, 283, 393, etc., does that mean that electric powered bicycles cannot be operated on the paths?

2. TJMay

TJMay Beach Lover

I have an electric bicycle and I ride on tne bike path.

After all, it is a bicycle. It has an electric motor and a battery. Its called an electric assist and has a top speed of about 18 mph going downhill.

I’m cautious and courteous of others using the bike path and present no danger to anyone else or myself.

Our communities and statutes need to keep up with changing society.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Duchess

Duchess Beach Lover

I do not think they should be allowed on the bike paths. I have seen people on the electric bikes FLY by people; it's not safe. Just a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Forget about keeping up with "changing society"--they are motorized vehicles, period.

• Like Like x 1
  4. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

Does it have a motor? Then it's motorized.

• Like Like x 1
  5. deborsk

deborsk Beach Lover

My friend was hit head on and knocked off her bike while riding on the path near Grayton State Park by someone texting on a regular bike. Can you imagine someone texting on an electric bike? yikes !! I think I will stay off the bike path this summer and stick to the feeder paths that go toward Hwy98 instead.

6. Wildernester

Wildernester Beach Lover

I tend to agree with the view that a bicycle with an electric motor is a motorized vehicle and should not be operated on the paths.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seagrovestateofmind

Seagrovestateofmind Beach Lover

Can the bike be tagged for street use? If not, the path would be their only choice.

8. TJMay

TJMay Beach Lover

Not sure that’s true.

An electric assist bike that will go 20mph or less is street legal, so I am told...

9. bob bob

bob bob Beach Lover

Doesn't make any more sense than allowing scooters. If everyone riding them rode them slow when others are on the path it would be ok but that won't happen so they are dangerous. Just like someone riding 20mph on a pedal bike.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stone packard

stone packard Beach Comber

I think the "electric assist" feature exempts them from being motorized vehicles subject to licensing. That being said, a lot of cyclists don't follow law and the rules of the road while riding and many don't even stop for stop signs and the number of bicycle riders on public roads in South Walton County is becoming a problem.

11. DestinBrew

DestinBrew Beach Comber

I have a sondors fat tire e-bike that I would love to take on the beach in the early morning or late afternoon...tons of people do this on the west coast it seems... is that allowed in the area?

btw, you can pedal these ebikes as well (pedal assist) and also control the throttle, so you can go slow and fast.... just like a real bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. soappedaler

soappedaler Beach Fanatic

Florida statue states that an electric bicycle that goes less than 20 mph is a bicycle and is subject to all bicycle laws. They are allowed on the multiuse path. Gas powered bicycles are not.

13. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Don't see why not.

As long as you let me borrow it. :D