Eleven Fla Counties forbid teaching of Evolution

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by futurebeachbum, Jan 12, 2008.

1. futurebeachbum

futurebeachbum Beach Fanatic

Here's an interesting Article.

Apparently, the school boards of 11 counties in Florida have passed resolutions against the imposition of the teaching of evolution in their curriculums.

2. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

Do you have any other sources on that, other than a blog?

3. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

If this wasn't so pathetic, I could laugh.

4. futurebeachbum

futurebeachbum Beach Fanatic

The link in the story is to the OpEd article in the Miami Herald.

5. NoHall

Never mind. Here's the article from the [ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Taylor+County+School+District%22+evolution&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a"]Herald-Tribune[/ame].

Why does this have to be such a bizarre, unintelligent, emotional debate? Stick to the ever-lovin' facts, and your butt is covered as an educator, whether you're teaching the theory of evolution, the theory of intelligent design, the Big Bang theory, or strict creationism (which suggests that the world is flat and has four literal corners.)

If I had kids, I would want them to know all of them. Intelligent design has holes in it that its adherents fill with faith. Evolution--there has been no evidence of a Missing Link (and the link we're missing is a pretty big one) so its adherents have quite a bit of their own faith. A theist science teacher can easily show what we know for a fact about evolution without ever teaching the kids that humans did evolve from the apes. There is plenty of evidence for evolution within the species without making a leap to evolution of the species.

Likewise it is easy enough for an atheist teacher to point out how perfectly the universe functions. It is no leap of faith to recognize that the universe has an intelligent design, whether that comes of a designer or if it has evolved that way.

Until we have a scientifically-proven LAW, the kids need to know the theories if only to know why none of them are laws. Maybe one of the little darlings will figure it out someday.

6. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I personally think that the letter here should be forwarded.
    This was even discussed at the American Academy Of Religion last year.....link here

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  7. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    But the difference here is between science and faith. Evolution is a theory, not a law, but there is enough scientific evidence that it qualifies as an actual scientific theory. Intelligent Design is an IDEA -- much like the idea of the flying spaghetti monster, or the parable of Anansi the spider and his sons helping create the moon. Now, I happen to have faith that some level of intelligent design actually took place, but it is faith, not science. Science belongs in science classes, and religion belongs in religion classes.

My son goes to an Episcopal school and they teach evolution. In religion class they learn the Bible. Public schools of course cannot operate this way, but I see no problem with teaching the gaps in the theory of evolution, and the fact that we have no idea what may have caused the big bang or what started everything in the first place. Citing ID or the flying spaghetti monster as possibilities or "ideas" of where it all started is fine. But ID is not science. I don't understand why it is so hard to make the distinction.

8. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Excellent post.

9. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

TFT .... :clap:

10. NoHall

Good point. Since my high school avoided the problem altogether, I wasn't faced with the problem until my philosophy classes in college...

...where we would have thrown anyone out on his ear who compared ID with the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Anansi the Spider. Non sequitur...

11. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    Actually, you're right, Anansi was a bad example. :D We do know that Anansi did not create the moon. I will have to look more into this flying spaghetti monster theory. My question is, Who created the spaghetti?

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

good post, TFT. I attended a private school, and our science teacher, who was a heavy smoker, was still able to teach us about the problems of smoking, and no one in my class was a regular smoker, at least until after graduating high school. The same lady was also our biology teacher, teaching us about things such as the Theory of Evolution. On the flip-side, every morning in homeroom during our Senior year, she rotated through the roll, asking us to read a short passage from the Bible. It IS possible to study both, with the idea that there are many questions left unanswered.

13. NoHall

It evolved.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I often make my own.

15. NoHall

And what does this tell us about SJ's metaphysical beliefs?

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

:dunno: They are based on many hours of watching cooking shows on TV. :dunno:

17. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I agree with you TFT..that the 2 are totally different subjects. But since public schools HAVE to separate school/church the issue should not even be an issue. They are just trying to find a way around the laws in order to teach religion in public schools. But the reason I brought up FSM is that who is to say which ID theory (God,FSM,Aliens,Allah,etc) do they want to teach? Since most proponents of ID believe the "designer" to be the GOD of Christianity, it is obvious to me that there will be no level playing field as far as the "designer" is concerned.

18. hnooe

hnooe Beach Fanatic

I think man's thirst for knowledge, experimentation, development of theories, etc. is the definition of Intelligent Design.

God also gave us science, and the actual "unfolding" of a science-based theory of Evolution by man, to me, IS the devine, intelligent, and religious (or spiritual) experience of it.

I realize this may only make sense to me :roll:

19. NoHall

It makes sense to a lot of people, but falls under the larger category of philosophy rather than physical science...

20. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

This sounds like a bunch of monkey business.