Emerald Coast Middle School

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by sunshine, Jul 28, 2005.

1. sunshine

sunshine Beach Lover

It's true! :clap_1: The new school will be open for business on Friday, August 5th! Granted, that's WAY too early for school to start :sosad: :sosad: , but at least it's in their new location.

You heard it here first folks -

2. SoWalSally

SoWalSally Beach Fanatic

Is that the new one beside Butler?

3. sunshine

sunshine Beach Lover

It's behind Butler. The schools will share the gym and media center (what we used to call the library). It will house grades 6,7 & 8 and is already close to capacity. South Walton High School will now have the use of their entire building, as they had been sharing space with the middle school kids for the past two years.

The administrations at both Emerald Coast and South Walton are very academically oriented. We're very excited about these positive changes.

4. SoWalSally

SoWalSally Beach Fanatic

Sounds good! So the news is that they weren't sure it would open for this year?

5. sunshine

sunshine Beach Lover

they weren't sure if it would be ready by the 1st day of school, but were planning to move in as soon as possible after school started. Thankfully we don't have to worry about those contingency plans. :clap_1:

6. OnMackBayou

OnMackBayou Beach Lover

We were excited about our daughter going to kindergarten at Butler this year, until we found out there was a Middle School going in behind it. It seems a little scary knowing that 5 year olds and 14 year olds are going to be intermingling, and sharing some of the same facilities. Especially if, as you are saying, that it is going to be at capacity.

I haven't spoken with any other parents about it but I will bet that is going to be a big concern.

7. mtnmama

mtnmama Beach Crab

Do ya'll need any Elementary School teachers in South Walton, or is the demand for teachers low?

8. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

As I understand it, there will be no intermingling of the Elementary and Middle Schools. The gym and library will be shared, but the sharing will be scheduled in a way that the different age groups will not come in contact with each other. There is also constant teacher supervision in both the gym and library. There shouldn't be any problems even if a stray 8th grader has to return a book during a time when younger students are in the library.

This issue was a big concern when the middle school was proposed, but I think most parents are fine with it now because they school(s) won't let any problems develop.

9. OnMackBayou

OnMackBayou Beach Lover

Thanks CCK for allaying our fears regarding the new Middle School. I have met John Haro several times and he doesn't seem to be the type to put up with any nonsense.

We just recently moved here full time and have had the opportunity to meet 3 or 4 other parents with children about the same age as our 5 year old daughter. Without exception they all intend to send their children to Bay Elementary, even though it means driving an extra 10-15 miles each way, every day. None of them have anything negative to say about Butler, just the opposite in fact. But if actions speak louder than words then I would have to be deaf not to get the message.

I just don't know the real reasons behind the message. Other than they really like Bay and may have some concerns about sending their young children to a school where they will be sharing facilities with much older kids.

My wife and I would love to hear from any other parents in the area who are deciding, or have already decided where to send their 5 or 6 year olds to school, since apparently we do have a choice.

10. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

I just wanted to say this. I live in a very small community here in Alabama. My son goes to a school that is K-8 grade. He will be in 7th grade this year and started there in kindergarten. K-5 is in one part of the campus, then they have the junior high building. They all eat in the same cafeteria and use the same gym. There has never been a problem with the older kids interacting with the younger ones. Their schedules are so different. It has been a blessing for my son to attend K-7 with the same group of kids. They are all very close, like family. Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that it has not been a problem in my community with the junior high and elementary in the same location. Hope all works out for all of you!!!!

11. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The plan I read about not too long ago was for there to be lines drawn and kids would not have a choice where to go. Maybe that hasn't been implemented yet.

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Nor was it in my small private school where we had K-12 grades in the same school. K was in its own building, grades 1- 6 in one building, with 7-12 in another, sharing the same gym, lunch room, etc., with separate playgrounds for grades 1-3, 4-6, and 7-12 have P.E.
    It was like having a big family.

13. Camp Creek Kid

There are boundaries and busing is not provided if you choose to go out of your boundary. However, year there is busing for K-1 zoned for Bay who choose to go to Butler because there is already busing provided for the older (elementary) kids.

Next year the two schools will be totally separate. Families can choose to attend a school out of their zoning if there is room. However, all students living within the boundaries of a school will have first priority. The ability of students to go to a school out of their zoning is reevaluated yearly on a space available basis.

I have children who went to both Butler and Bay and feel that they are equal. At this time, Butler has better facilities and Bay has better (smaller) class sizes. I recommend, that since all other things are equal, that families go to the school that is closest to their home. This helps socially and makes it more convenient for play dates, etc. It is important for children to form friendships with children in their neighborhoods.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  14. sunshine

sunshine Beach Lover

The only shared facilities are the gym and library. The middle school is a completely separate building with it's own entrance, drive, etc. They won't even be sharing the bus with the elementary school. Additionally, the middle school students will be in uniforms, so it will be very clear if one of these big bad eighth graders strays from the approved path.
    Dr. Haro, the principal is a no-nonsense guy; I truly doubt that he will be at all tolerant of students not being where they belong.
    For the parent concerned about whether to attend Butler or to transfer to Bay, I'm sure that you and your child will be happy and comfortable at Butler.

15. Camp Creek Kid

Also, keep in mind that if you choose to transfer from one school to another, the transfer is good only for the current school year. The transfers are reevaluated yearly. If there is no room for a child living out of the school boundaries, they will be sent back to the school they were originally zoned for.

16. OnMackBayou

OnMackBayou Beach Lover

Thanks for all of the excellent information.

We looked all over the U.S. for the best place to live. South Florida, North Carolina, California, Texas. A big part of that was trying to find a place where the public schools were well supported.

There is no doubt in my mind we found the exact perfect plot of land in the whole wide world, (for us). The fact that it was fairly close to Butler made it even better. We just want little princess to enjoy her school years as much as possible.

17. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

I went to a Catholic K-8 school in the 70s and 80s. One smallish building, but even then, the only time the older kids and the younger kids were ever really together were for assemblies and for mass.

Okaloosa County still has a couple of K-12 schools in the north part of the county. Parents there generally give them very good marks, and I've heard of parents who are zoned for Crestview area schools that send their kids to Baker instead because they prefer the smaller school and what they see as more of a family-like environment there.

18. sunshine

sunshine Beach Lover

Calling all Volunteers!

The school needs volunteers on Monday, and probably through the week to help with many things like uniform sales, helping teachers unload their boxes, textbook organization, etc. etc.
    Uniform (shirt) sales are Monday through Thursday, from 10 - 2 each day, and Tuesday from 5 - 7.
    If you can - PM me to let me know that you can help and I'll try to have it a little organized.

Thanks -

19. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Hey Sunshine (or anyone who knows) -

Are they planning an orientation?
    I know we have to go out there and purchase the uniform shirts prior to Friday, but we have questions about the bus schedules, athletics, etc...

20. sunshine

sunshine Beach Lover

As far as I know (as a volunteer parent), because of the construction time frame, orientation will be after school starts. We're hoping that transportation gets the bus schedules to us so that we can hand them out with the shirts.

I was there yesterday and the school looks great! If you have any extra time this week come on over and lend a hand - there's still a lot of work to do to get it ready.