• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
It's true! :clap_1: The new school will be open for business on Friday, August 5th! Granted, that's WAY too early for school to start :sosad: :sosad: , but at least it's in their new location.

You heard it here first folks -

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
It's behind Butler. The schools will share the gym and media center (what we used to call the library). It will house grades 6,7 & 8 and is already close to capacity. South Walton High School will now have the use of their entire building, as they had been sharing space with the middle school kids for the past two years.

The administrations at both Emerald Coast and South Walton are very academically oriented. We're very excited about these positive changes.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
they weren't sure if it would be ready by the 1st day of school, but were planning to move in as soon as possible after school started. Thankfully we don't have to worry about those contingency plans. :clap_1:

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
We were excited about our daughter going to kindergarten at Butler this year, until we found out there was a Middle School going in behind it. It seems a little scary knowing that 5 year olds and 14 year olds are going to be intermingling, and sharing some of the same facilities. Especially if, as you are saying, that it is going to be at capacity.

I haven't spoken with any other parents about it but I will bet that is going to be a big concern.

mtnmama

Beach Crab
Jul 13, 2005
Do ya'll need any Elementary School teachers in South Walton, or is the demand for teachers low?

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
OnMackBayou said:
We were excited about our daughter going to kindergarten at Butler this year, until we found out there was a Middle School going in behind it. It seems a little scary knowing that 5 year olds and 14 year olds are going to be intermingling, and sharing some of the same facilities. Especially if, as you are saying, that it is going to be at capacity.

I haven't spoken with any other parents about it but I will bet that is going to be a big concern.

As I understand it, there will be no intermingling of the Elementary and Middle Schools. The gym and library will be shared, but the sharing will be scheduled in a way that the different age groups will not come in contact with each other. There is also constant teacher supervision in both the gym and library. There shouldn't be any problems even if a stray 8th grader has to return a book during a time when younger students are in the library.

This issue was a big concern when the middle school was proposed, but I think most parents are fine with it now because they school(s) won't let any problems develop.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
Thanks CCK for allaying our fears regarding the new Middle School. I have met John Haro several times and he doesn't seem to be the type to put up with any nonsense.

We just recently moved here full time and have had the opportunity to meet 3 or 4 other parents with children about the same age as our 5 year old daughter. Without exception they all intend to send their children to Bay Elementary, even though it means driving an extra 10-15 miles each way, every day. None of them have anything negative to say about Butler, just the opposite in fact. But if actions speak louder than words then I would have to be deaf not to get the message.

I just don't know the real reasons behind the message. Other than they really like Bay and may have some concerns about sending their young children to a school where they will be sharing facilities with much older kids.

My wife and I would love to hear from any other parents in the area who are deciding, or have already decided where to send their 5 or 6 year olds to school, since apparently we do have a choice.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I just wanted to say this. I live in a very small community here in Alabama. My son goes to a school that is K-8 grade. He will be in 7th grade this year and started there in kindergarten. K-5 is in one part of the campus, then they have the junior high building. They all eat in the same cafeteria and use the same gym. There has never been a problem with the older kids interacting with the younger ones. Their schedules are so different. It has been a blessing for my son to attend K-7 with the same group of kids. They are all very close, like family. Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that it has not been a problem in my community with the junior high and elementary in the same location. Hope all works out for all of you!!!!