• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddy

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
For those of us out of town can someone please let us know the thread of discussions and any decisons reached at the emergency meeting? Thanks.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Apparently there are a great deal of people that showed up for the meeting. My husband was standing quite a ways from the door -on the outside.

He said it got started by someone trying to "sell" something to renourish the beaches with - and someone said something about the meeting being about the sand - he got disgusted and left so I am in the dark as well.

Maybe they ARE all behind bars - the sheriff's office is just across the street!!!

Let us know if we need to go down and get out about 500 people!!!

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
A message that strongly needs to get to everyone is for the kids & adults to stay off the dunes. There were children playing on the newly dumped sand yesterday at our walkover.

I know some people don't know but from what I have seen, you get yelled at even louder than before if you are on the dunes.

Our "Stay off the Dunes" signs got washed away with Arlene!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just returned from the 3.5 hr meeting. I bypassed getting groceries because I know you guys are hungry for the scoop. No one is in jail... yet, and hopefully, no one will have to go.

Summary:
The Commissioners voted 3:1 (Ro Cutchens voted against) in favor of Comm. Jones' motion to remove all dirt dumped onto the Beaches that does not meet 6.2 or higher on the chart. Since the County approved the dirt dumping, the County will pay to have any dirt not meeting that lowered standard removed. My understanding is that this dirt includes any dirt used to sure-up home structures that does not meet the 6.2 > earlier requirement.

Any new sand used to fill for emergency stability fill will have to meet a 7.2 > on the scale, and this is for unwashed sand. On top of that, a minimum of 3' of a top coat of sand will have to meet a standard of 8.1 > on the Munsell (sp?) scale.

Basically, the standards were lowered from 8.1 to 6.2 on the color chart, with the higher number being more white, in a quick and emergency panic. Now, they are raising that substandard 6.2 to 7.2 with a top coat of white stuff.

I finally met Kurt! :clap_1:

Kudos to Cindy Meadows for having the balls (I mean that in the best way) to stand up for the People of Walton County. It was weird that her motion, which was less than the motion by Larry Jones, was voted down, but Larry's was approved. I guess my ex-wife is correct, that you need a penis to get things done. I still say that Cindy has the biggest balls of them all -- you know what I mean. Thanks Cindy!

Jail time may come, if they continue to say that the brown dirt meets is a 6.2 minimum. I will definitely be in violation of removing sand from the beaches.

Also, I must say that I am proud of Ed Berry, co-owner of For the Health of It, located in Blue Mountain, for suggesting that the Commissioners think long term, and hire experts to look into new ways of resolving the problem, instead of placing very expensive bandages on symptoms of the problems. Go Ed! If you guys don't already support Ed and Rachael's business, you should begin now at For the Health of It or do so on your next visit. They are much more than a Massage Therapy Clinic and Health Food Store -- They are our community. Also remember to support others, like Celeste Cobena, The Soap Peddler, whose products are carried by For the Health of It and other local stores, for speaking up and voicing her well noted opinion. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
seagrover said:
Apparently there are a great deal of people that showed up for the meeting. My husband was standing quite a ways from the door -on the outside.

He said it got started by someone trying to "sell" something to renourish the beaches with - and someone said something about the meeting being about the sand - he got disgusted and left so I am in the dark as well.

Maybe they ARE all behind bars - the sheriff's office is just across the street!!!

Let us know if we need to go down and get out about 500 people!!!

This sounds encouraging...masses of sand huggers!!! If there is any justice, those that "okayed" the brown sand/soil will be the ones in jail! Sounds like there was a snake oil salesman in the audience! Wonder what that was all about? Stay strong for the beaches!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Results of the meeting - The short story:

The brown soil at, and adjacent to, the Hwy 83 access in Blue Mountain Beach will be removed. Any soil anywhere in the county that has already been placed on the beach must meet 6.2 or higher on the Munsell scale or be removed.

The standard that was relaxed from the longstanding 8.1 on the Munsell scale to 6.2 about 10 days ago, has been raised to a 7.2 (or higher) and must be capped by 3 feet of 8.1 or higher. So any new soil brought on to the beach must be 7.2 or higher.

The soil that is 7.2 (or higher) can only be used shore up imperiled structures (although there is no hard and fast rule to exactly where and how much), not used to build new dunes.

Samples for approval will not be washed and dried before being subjectively compared to the Munsell scale, but rather examined in an unaltered state.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Whoa SJ....you snuck in there before I finished my hang in there post for those of us waiting for your report! I need to read it again. Thanks so much for putting us before your tummy!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
WOW!! You met Kurt?!?! :lol:

Seriously, thanks so much for the update. It seems like reason is prevailing somewhat. I would have loved to have been there. Did Ro Cutchins speak? Were the concerns about his possible profit aired at the meeting? Were the commissioners contrite?

I'd obviously like to know more details on the outrage/browbeating, etc, but the hard facts are good enough for me. Thanks for the update! Now go get something to eat!! :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Smiling JOe said:
Just returned from the 3.5 hr meeting. I bypassed getting groceries because I know you guys are hungry for the scoop. No one is in jail... yet, and hopefully, no one will have to go.

Summary:
The Commissioners voted 3:1 (Ro Cutchens voted against) in favor of Comm. Jones' motion to remove all dirt dumped onto the Beaches that does not meet 6.2 or higher on the chart. Since the County approved the dirt dumping, the County will pay to have any dirt not meeting that lowered standard removed. My understanding is that this dirt includes any dirt used to sure-up home structures that does not meet the 6.2 > earlier requirement.

Any new sand used to fill for emergency stability fill will have to meet a 7.2 > on the scale, and this is for unwashed sand. On top of that, a minimum of 3' of a top coat of sand will have to meet a standard of 8.1 > on the Munson (sp?) scale.

Basically, the standards were lowered from 8.1 to 6.2 on the color chart, with the higher number being more white, in a quick and emergency panic. Now, they are raising that substandard 6.2 to 7.2 with a top coat of white stuff.

There are some angry people around, and the over-flowing Courtroom, lost a few folks after the break.

I finally met Kurt! :clap_1:

Thanks SJ - I was writing at the same time you were.

Joe was smiling. ;-)

KansasBorn/30ABound

Beach Lover
Apr 9, 2005
Atchison, Kansas
Thanks Kurt and SJ for your reports! I am only a visitor to the area but it is so special to our family that we were praying that they would fix this dark sand/dirt problem. It was a terrible mistake...glad that is how they finally saw the error of their ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.