• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Without any enforcement this summer, the beaches of South Walton are going to be an absolute mess.

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Hopefully, some of our news hounds that frequent this site will see this thread and do a story for all the local newspapers, radio, television and internet sites. It would be a proactive attempt to keep the problem from getting worse. I imagine our friends all along the Emerald Coast are having some of the same problems. Freedom Newspapers is a chain and could get wide coverage from Pensacola to Apalachicola. Our local tv stations out of Panama City Beach and Panama City, get fairly wide coverage. Pensacola and Tallahassee media should pick up on it, too. Maybe Turtle Watch will put out a press release repeating why this is so important.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I wonder where I could score some Remove It tags???

I was just thinking the same thing.

Do the tags have info on why it is important to remove the items from the beach? Without the thought behind the rule, people won't get it.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
IMO locals take care of the beach all year, picking up trash, and discarded and no longer needed beach chairs, toys, etc. It seems that out of towner/staters, with no tie to the area, simply leave their brains at home, they are on vacation and anything goes. The lack of regard for our beaches, roads and locals just fries me. Pick up your tents, bottles, cigarette butts, diapers, etc... when you leave the beach...no excuses!!!

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
The tags have a case number assigned to them. While I'm not against home-grown tags, I doubt a non law enforcement person could get their hands on the genuine article.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Thinking about the lack of tagging issue and those throwing around the idea of home made tags I remembered "shame" is a powerful motivator. I was thinking along the lines of those judges who make convicted shoplifters and such wear "I stole from this store" signs outside the stores in lieu of serving time.

What about a similar tag for items left on the beach? Something like....

"Please excuse our mess. We left all our crap out last night because beach ordinances don't apply to us." - This message approved by the Big Brother Beach Patrol and baby turtles.