• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Glass and bare feet do not go well together at all. The people that litter are the same people that are not particularly careful with glass containers. A friend of mine had his foot sliced open and an emergency room visit from broken glass on the beach. Can really ruin your day.

If everyone picked up their own trash and carried it off the beach, there'd be no need for silly ordinances. Unless we all turn Japanese overnight, I don't see that happening.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
I remember more enforcement against glass bottles and dogs on the beach before the lifeguards were present. There were more frequent patrols of the beach by the sheriff's officers back then. You could not have glass bottles on the beach without getting caught back then. There is not the same level of deterring today.

Yankeegal

Beach Comber
Mar 4, 2011
I often see the Beach Patrol out and about, once the beaches are busier. And I have seen people receive citations for bottles, told they need to remove their dogs, etc.

I would sincerenly doubt that a dog permit would covers rental visitors. I think that any people who are claiming that should have their permit canceled, and not be allowed to get another one.

Now, I just wish that something could be done about finding the person who walked off with my husband's NFL Crocs yesterday afternoon...

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
The county is looking at a new dogs on the beach ordinance on March 22nd. Perhaps this is a good time to let our Commissioners know that dogs are running loose, glass bottles are out, and I have even seen non permitted cars on beach overlooked by a roving beach patrol. These guys need to let folks know that they are patroling and not just taking a "fun ride" up and down the beach. There are many beaches that do not have life guards...perhaps our beach patrol could focus more on those that do not have life guards to remind folks of the rules. I just came in from 5 hours on the beach..not one patrol in sight, dogs running everwhere...glass bottles galore and two cars without permits....

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
First rule during our busy time here is NEVER leave your shoes in view at a beach walkover. I had new flip flops taken twice and I either hide them under the walkover or take them with me. The worst part was that I had to walk home in bare feet and that was very painful.
Spoke to someone at the Sheriff's Dept. just yesterday and they said lots of beach goers were being cut by glass on the beach lately. They are going to increase their tickets for bottles because some injuries were serious.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Oops, sorry meant to respond to this as well. Yes, some rentals leave a dog permit inside the unit for all dog owners to use while staying here. I know it's not legal but done all the time. Most units that advertise "dog friendly" do this and it's not unusual.

deasnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 21, 2010
How about punishing the offenders instead of passing restrictions on people that follow the rules. Otherwise, I could say kids should not be allowed in pools because some are actually using the bathroom in the water.

Freedom along with enforcement of rules that are balanced to allow us all to enjoy the beach without harming or imposing undue hardship would be my suggestion. Provide citizens opportunities to snap pics of offenders and get a reward for catching these folks that do not clean up. Their dogs, their glass and their trash. Anywhere in the county not just the beach.

What kind of savage lets their mutt pinch a loaf on the beach!?! Anybody caught doing that should have their mugshot taken and posted in the paper along with the offending dog and the pile. It's disgusting. My friends give me lip about my personal view that dogs don't belong on these beaches, permit or no, but one or two of them have had nothing kind to say about the matter while hopping along on one foot trying to find something to scrape the yuck (left behind by somebody's 'best friend') from between their toes. It's all fun and games until you realize what you just stepped in.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Many people think it is cute to let their dog roam and crap - and not just tourists, locals as well.

I say crack down on items left on the beach and glass. Always a fan of earning revenue while punishing wrongdoers!