• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Dad, Ed Walline, used to load up the dogs and take them to the beach because the gulf water was excellent for their skin problems. He didn't have a permit, and they weren't leashed. He would have been upset about glass on the beach, and smoking pot, but then again, they've been smoking pot on the beach as long as I can remember. In fact, they used to find bales washed up, used to be how they would deliver it, remote, quiet beach.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Does anyone know why there is no enforcement for basic ordinances like glass on the beach? Is the SO afraid of offending tourists, or do they not have the man power, or is it because offenders don't typically bring their IDs to the beach, or something else?

I would bet if you looked up citations for glass on the beach you'd find zero tickets.

A little late to the party, but we see PLENTY of citations for glass on the beach.
When you go hunting, do you shoot one deer or the whole herd?
Just sayin...

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Walked yesterday in Seacrest which I do several times a week and there were more unleashed and unsupervised dogs to count! Was chased by one and even saw a dog fight at the waters edge and the barking continued for a long time. There were five dogs all together there, all unleashed and another dog just came walking by not with it's owner at all. Aside from being a safety issue, many people don't want the dogs or barking at the beach and owners usually don't clean up after their pets either. This has been a rant of mine for years but see no change in sight. I was just saying that those people within the law are always inconvenienced by those who do not follow it. That alone is irritating. I understand they patrol other areas but not my stretch of beach in Seacrest. They need to be there at about 3:30 when the permitted dogs are allowed on the beach but we get all of them and frankly, I have never seen one on a leash yet!!! This is not the same place it used to be years ago. Even off season there are too many people on the beach now and too many dogs! And sorry, the above comment about hunting does not apply here. I'm just sayin too......... If you are going to ticket some, you need to ticket the whole herd!

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
The dogs leave far less crap on the beaches than the tourdist....and at least their mess is biodegradable. Let's focus on the big trash issues first. I would prefer banning those kiddie shovel and pales and those portable homes/covers that the tourdist bring and leave.....

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Last time I checked this was about enforcing the Beach Ordinance. The dog problem is just one item mentioned in the ordinance. I was not focused as much on their mess and yes, I know it is biodegradable but it can also contain parasites and some can be transmitted to humans. Thanks for making me think of that also. I walk in bare feet and so do several of my friends. Do you want to wear shoes to the beach? I certainly don't. Clearly that in itself is a safety issue as well as unsupervised and unleashed dogs that are NOT in control by their owners. Kiddie pales and shovels do not even compare.

Last edited:

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Oh please. You are concerned about the handful of dog crap on our 25+miles of beach and the potential of parasites and disease? That's hilarious. You have a FAR greater chance of parasites and disease from the dead crabs,fish,shells,etc that are on the beaches and in the water. Perhaps you should wear a biohazard suit to protect you from the dangers on the beach...:roll:

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
I agree with all you Sowallers.........Sunday someone was walking their dog on the beach around noon and I didn't see a pooper scooper in hand.

I think the county should have better control over the issues mentioned regarding our beaches.
Let's stay on it!