Enter Key

Discussion in 'SoWal Site Help & Announcements' started by Beach Runner, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    For some reason when I make a post and hit the Enter key, it doesn't send the newline character. It just converts to a space. I've never had this problem before on sowal.com/bb. I'm not having the problem elsewhere.

2. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

I think I had that problem once but don't remember what is was. Might have been a different browser. I use chrome now. What do you use?

3. Beach Runner

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I use IE because I use a laptop owned by my employer, and IE is the browser that is installed on our computers. They control what we install.

4. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

OMG! I didn't know employers could do that!

5. Beach Runner

Yes. They set up your computer so that you have to log in as admin to install software. They don't give you the admin password. Many employers restrict which websites employees can access while connected at work. I've read that some employers even push out software that allows them to watch employees on the cameras on their monitors. So I put masking tape over my camera just in case, and I keep the sound off.

6. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Wow! Sounds like you need to carry your own laptop.

7. librarian

librarian Beach Lover

If I remember u r at a university /college?

At my college I have a bit more control as I have to perform some IT stuff myself but due to USG and other security audits they are really limiting admin rights. However you are perfectly OK to request chrome and Firefox for a couple of reasons: 1 to see how your students might view something (if not teaching replace students with clients) and 2 because at times (varies with version of java etc) Firefox works better with some resources including library and (in the past) Ga View

8. Beach Runner

I'll ask I.T. now they have completed rolling out hundreds of machines with thin client technology. (What a nightmare! The software for my robotics class -- and for other prof's classes -- won't work on the thin clients. They had to set up a lab for me with the old desktops. The library is having problems too.) I'm teaching web programming in the fall, so I'll need to have multiple browsers installed so that the students can see how things can render differently. Run-on paragraph due to dysfunctional Enter key: I'd still like my Enter key to work in sowal.com/bb when using IE. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

It is a known bug for Win8 IE10. I implemented some code that may fix it - let me know.

10. Beach Runner

Does the Enter key now work? Let's see. I'm just about to press it.
    Woo-hoo! It works! Thanks, Kurt.

11. Beach Runner

It works! Thanks!