• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
State begins investigation of Walton sheriff

A complaint claims Ralph Johnson used public money to pay private legal fees

Andy Meinen

Wednesday January 30th, 2008

Comment on this Story | Read Comments

DeFUNIAK SPRINGS ? The Florida Elections Commission has determined that a complaint filed against Walton County Sheriff Ralph Johnson is ?legally sufficient? to investigate.

Santa Rosa Beach resident Carol Purdy filed the complaint last month, alleging that Johnson used taxpayers? money to pay private legal fees.

Purdy received a letter dated Jan. 28 from the elections commission stating that, ?Staff has reviewed the complaint and found that it is legally sufficient. Therefore, staff will investigate ??

DOCUMENT: Read the Florida Election Commission's letter

The Daily News obtained a copy of the letter sent by Johnson?s attorney, James Murray, to the county in July stating that Walton County Finance Director Bill Imfeld was violating the federal Hatch Act because he was running for sheriff.

The Hatch Act prohibits county and state employees who handle federal money from running for elected office. Imfeld said he oversees federal grant paperwork for the county but has no authority over the funds. The letter led to Imfeld dropping out of the race.

Murray stated in a previous interview that he sends his bills to the Sheriff?s Office.

Purdy said that is unethical because Johnson should not use public money to further his election campaign.

?It?s my tax dollars,? she said.

Telephone messages left for Johnson seeking comment Wednesday morning and afternoon were not returned.

Murray said previously that he isn?t sure how much money he billed the Sheriff?s Office to research the Hatch Act, but that he charges $75 an hour for government work.

Pasty Rushing, the state elections commission?s clerk, said active investigations are confidential But when the investigation is complete, a copy of the inquiry will be sent to Johnson, who will have 14 days to respond to the commission. After that, the commission?s general counsel will recommend what action to take. Johnson will be notified again and will have 14 days to respond, Rushing said.

State begins investigation of Walton sheriff

A complaint claims Ralph Johnson used public money to pay private legal fees

Andy Meinen

Wednesday January 30th, 2008

Comment on this Story | Read Comments

The elections commission will then hold a probable cause hearing, when Johnson can defend himself before the commission decides whether to dismiss the case or find Johnson in violation of Florida law, Rushing said.

Purdy said she is not supporting Imfeld or any other candidate for sheriff. She said she was just concerned about the possible violations that Johnson could have committed.

?I don?t even know Johnson,? she said. ?I wouldn?t recognize him if he walked up. There was so much talk about it, and somebody had to do something about it.?

Daily News Staff Writer Andy Meinen can be reached at 654-6905

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it would appear that what some had thought was a waste of time has now moved to the next level. People of Walton County need to take this activity seriously and understand that this is a serious investigation, with serious allegations.

You, the voter, the tax-payer, the citizen have been screwed by the current administration. They removed two very qualified officers (the federal law suit will cost the County big $$$), they mismanage finances, they use your tax money to remove the most qualified candidate from the election, they install a test track with out following proper procedure, what else is it going to take? 2008 is time for CHANGE.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Now I know the State has too much time on their hands. The wasting of dollars has now gone to a whole new level.

If you recall in one of my prior posts, I told you this day was coming... Sorry you feel that the investigation into the possible corruption in Walton County is a waste. We will just agree to disagree.

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
There is another thread running on here somewhere with an article called the permitted and the unpermitted by Bruce Collier ran in the DFS Herald in Dec., about this track.

What is this driving track deal? I just read the ethics article and 'bout fell off the chair. Is this current Sheriff really this bad? So many things are all hear say, but now a State Investigation? What is going on here?:angry: