• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The smells, sights and sounds of fall are just around the corner. The 2015 Walton County Fair kicks off Monday, October 5th.

Walton County Fair Association Vice President Danny Glidewell said they are working to hard to make this year’s event a success. “Contrary to the rumors, we will be open for business and ready to go on Monday, October 5th,” said Glidewell.

Glidwell said some people may have been nervous about all the construction but assured the public they will be ready. “We have lots of entertainment and exhibits lined up and this will be a great time for the whole family.”

The Walton County Fair was chartered in 1924. The initial site was at Harbeson Field in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. Originally, the fair was held on Armistice Day but cold weather prompted the move to a more favorable time of the year. The fair is now held in October.

There are 51 county fairs in the state of Florida and they run from Santa Rosa County in the western end of the panhandle to Hernando County in the southern part of the state.

Exhibits at the fair still include animal, art, agriculture, handicrafts, potted plants, photography, and canned foods divisions. Every year the children from all over Walton County decorate pumpkins and bring them to the fair. Children also have the opportunity to showcase their skills and talents with animals, speeches and educational posters.

Each year the building is filled with music – from gospel to country and western performers. The gospel singing on Saturday night has become a great hit and much-anticipated event.

The Walton County Fair was the last fair in the state of Florida to charge admission and…its still a bargain. $3 for adults, $2 for children 6-12. Children under 6 are free.

Doors open at 5 PM Monday, October 5th at the Walton County Fairgrounds on Hwy. 83 N. in DeFuniak Springs.

Courtesy WZEP

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
There are many things going badly in our world but I thank God that I live in DeFuniak Springs, Florida where people still help each other and pitch in to make things better. We needed extra help this year to get ready for the Walton County Fair Association and so many people have pitched in and volunteered to do the work necessary to get the buildings ready. No one did what they did because they were getting anything out of it personally, they all just want to make sure the kids have a good time and have a venue to show their animals, art and such. I truly appreciate each one of them and cannot tell you how much they mean to our community. I would try and name them but I know I would leave someone out, but they know who they are.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The 2015 Walton County Fair has come and gone and once again it was a rousing success! Attendance and gate receipts were up once again and we remain one of the few county fairs around that is growing. But none of this would be possible without the help of dozens of volunteers who dedicate countless hours of their time to help set up, organize the shows, take up tickets, clean up, operate the concession stand, and man the various booths. The fair is truly a community project and benefits from the help of the Walton County Board of Commissioners, Walton County School District, City of DeFuniak Springs, Walton County Sheriff, Michael A. Adkinson, Jr., DeFuniak Springs Police Department and their employees. The fair also would not be possible without the support of dozens of businesses throughout the county who donate the money needed to operate and allow our admission prices to remain affordable to families. Finally, I cannot begin to thank Randall and Annette Infinger for everything they have done over many years to lead the fair to grow and improve. Just a few of the others are Dale and Tonya Anderson,Jamie Burgess, Ashly Cuchens Rogers, Christopher Mitchell , Maria Duncan, Wade Hayslip, Daniel Glidewell, (Thomas) Larry Gomillion ,Charles Trotman, Tilman Mears , Janie Griffith, Kevin and Barbara Ann Willey Chilcutt , Pat AndKenneth Thompson , Buddy Goodman, Southwide Baptist Church, Theresa Glidewell , Kayla Glidewell Bertram , Victoria Flynn , James Meadows , Odon and Marsha Lewis Russell , Debbie Gillman , Robert Barley , Lynn Touchton , Art and Marty Dees , DeFuniak Herald Beach Breeze , WZEP, Rebecca King , Lee Touchton , Gator and Sheila Woodham McCormick , Bradley Stafford, Gwen Stafford, Kevin Campbell , Linda Yates Jeanine Garrett , Margene Dodson , John Wilkerson , Bo Curry , and many many more great people.