• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Chandra

Beach Fanatic
They're there!. I just got back and Rennee the egg lady is there, the dairy folks, with milk butter and cheese. Dragonfly Farmers and the Honey people. I wimped out but did pick up my groceries.

I wimped out too, but also managed to pick up some goodies...arugula, butter, eggs, grapefruits, and samples of mead and kimchee.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I wimped out too, but also managed to pick up some goodies...arugula, butter, eggs, grapefruits, and samples of mead and kimchee.

Our friend Sally brought over a big bag of arugula (Dragonfly Farms). It was the pepperiest, best arugula I have ever had. She made a salad with asiago cheese and lemon/olive vinaigrette, which tamed the spiciness of the arugula. My new favorite green salad- and I hope they have some next week!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
As promised, here are my duck eggs. I cooked them over easy in a little olive oil. That is a piece of sourdough they are nesting on. Just a dash of fresh ground black pepper and a pinch of salt. Awesome. If you have not been lucky enough to have had a fresh egg, that wonderful thick, orange/yellow yolk that actually has flavor is what you have been missing. As far as taste, the duck eggs didn't taste much different from a fresh chicken egg. I highly recommend you go try some fresh eggs from your local farmer's market!:wave:

twinoaksfarm

Beach Crab
Nov 22, 2008
A perfect day for a duck (egg). I will swing by and pick some up. The two 'green wise' eggs I made this morning were crap. Expiration date of Dec 31 on the carton and the yolks were all runny. I wonder when those eggs were laid? Egg update to follow.:wave:

thank you for posting that great pix of my duck's eggs (celeste emailed it to me) ... to answer your question about when grocery store eggs are layed ... well nobody really knows, the labelling law in this country is such that you dont have to put the laying date on the box but the packing date !!!! which means that any eggsfactory can keep eggs for weeks/months and then pack them and put that day's date !!! Yummy !!! also interesting in order to get USDA graded and weighted you (as in farmer) needs to produce at least 1 million eggs a ... week !!! I read somewhere that it was common to eat easter eggs that were layd at X'mas !!!
I sell out every week so you are certain that my eggs are always fresh ... I did some experiment here at the farm and kept a few eggs up to 5 months in the fridge and they were still perfectly good ...
One last yummy tidbit about grocerystore eggs : they (as in factoryeggspackers) spray them with mineral oil in order to close the pores of the eggs which will keep them fresh for even longer !!!

Chandra

Beach Fanatic
Seaside Farmer's Market Dec. 19

The Farmer's Market in Seaside is now a year round event. Please come out and support the local vendors and pick up some last minute goodies for the holidays.

In Florida, it's never too early to start thinking about the spring garden. Moonlight Micro-Farm will be at the market with heirloom (non-hybrid) garden seeds, organic sprout seeds - tastier than alfalfa and fun to grow - broccoli, cabbage, and radish. Sprout jar kits and seed gift tins also available. Great stocking stuffers!

We'll also have sparkly handcrafted hoola hoops, both kid sizes and adult. It's not too late to custom order a hoola hoop for Christmas.

chandra-albums-blog-photos-picture5291-heirloom-seed-tin.jpg

Heirloom Seed Tins - individual seed packets available

chandra-albums-blog-photos-picture5292-more-hoops.jpg

Custom adult hoola hoops - sparkly & glow-in-the-dark

Thanks for your continued support!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Renee just emailed her new additions to her preserves:

This week sample our new "winter" collection of preserves :
Pear / Calamondin
we sliced Calamondins into our Kieffer's Pears to give it a kick,
add some star anise, fresh vanilla beans and just enough organic sugar to make you want to eat more of it ....

3 "Agrumes"
To our Satzuman Mandarin we added Meyer Lemon and Florida Oranges,
some cinnamon sticks and cardamon pods to make you forget it is tart ...

Mango / Orange
when taste of South Florida goes north to meet zesty oranges,
with chunks of mangos and slices of candied oranges,
no need of spices for this one ...

jclaeys

Beach Comber
Jun 2, 2009
Cure for swine flu?

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Come join us at the Farmers Market and find the cure to what ails ya! Saturday December 26th from 9am to 1pm in Seaside.

Featuring:

Ocheesee Creamery
The Wesselhoeft's will be at the market this weekend with local certified Pure Jersey Products. Skim Milk, Whole MIlk, Cream, and Butter. If you haven't had fresh dairy this is a real treat and very well priced. All products come in traditional milk bottles and require a deposit, support your local farmer here!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Moonlight Micro-Farm: In Florida, it's never too early to start thinking about the spring garden. Moonlight Micro-Farm will have heirloom (non-hybrid) garden seeds, organic sprout seeds - tastier than alfalfa and fun to grow - broccoli, cabbage, and radish. Sprout jar kits and seed gift tins also available. We'll also have sparkly handcrafted hoola hoops - child & adult sizes.

Clear Creek Farms
Local Walton County Honey! Gordon and Lois are long time bee farmers from North of the Bay come meet the beekeepers!Clear Creek honey will be there with a new honey Fla keys spice honey
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Amavida Coffee[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Enjoy Fair Trade Fresh Roasted Coffee or get some fair trade whole bean coffee and loose leaf tea. And while youre at it save the planet one cup of coffee at a time with an Eco-mug or Klean Kanteen!

Twin Oaks Farm

- This week sample our new "winter" collection of preserves :
Pear / Calamondin
we sliced Calamondins into our Kieffer's Pears to give it a kick,
add some star anise, fresh vanilla beans and just enough organic sugar
to make you want to eat more of it ....

3 "Agrumes"
To our Satzuman Mandarin we added Meyer Lemon and Florida Oranges,
some cinnamon sticks and cardamon pods to make you forget it is tart ...

Mango / Orange
when taste of South Florida goes north to meet zesty oranges,
with chuncks of mangos and slices of candied oranges,
no need of spices for this one ...

We have farm fresh chickens ...
Our broilers are fed a certified organic feed without soy, they are
pastured, bugs, grass and sunshine is part of their diet.

We sell whole bird only at $8 / lb and they range between 3lb to 5lb.

To order your chicken/s please send us an email with size range (3lb
to 4lb or 4lb to 5lb) and we will pack it/them ready to pick up.

We also offer certified organic chicken livers, feet, hearts, heads
and gizzards. Please email us for pricing.

This week only
Satzuma Mandarin, we grow them here at the farm, they are organic and
juicy and the last ones of the season.

Meyer Lemon, we do not grow them but they have never been sprayed,
simply the best lemon you can find.

NEW
Chicken broth made at the farm with our own certified organic chickens.
Ready to go to start a soup, make a risotto or just add some noodles and enjoy.

Our chickens are molting therefor we have a really limited quantity of eggs.
We have certified organic chickens and ducks eggs.
Our hens and ducks are fed USDA certified organic grains without soy,
grass, bugs and fun are part of their diet.
We have duck eggs, if you are allergic to chicken's eggs this is the
good alternativ ... they are big and beatifull, packed with twice the
nutrient of a chicken egg ....

All our preserves are made with local fresh fruits and organic sugar.
NO pectin, NO citric acid, NO ascorbic acid.
Available this week :
Blueberry
Peach
Fig
Mandarine
Mango
Mango chutney
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Lucy's Produce
This weekend...Winter squash, Zucchini, Pumpkins, Tomatoes, Russet Potatoes, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Chili Peppers, and lots of jars of fresh Vegetable Soups, Bread and Butter Pickles, Peach Jam, Blackberry Jelly, Pickled Okra, Fresh Salsa...and?
[/FONT]

amberk526

Beach Comber
Aug 19, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I had to work this morning and I am really bummed I missed the Satsumas. :-( They are my favorite! Any chance that they will be there next week?

I still have some arugula I got last week and it is still so fresh and delicious!

The sweet potatoes and squash I purchased the weekend before Thanksgiving was outstanding as well.

If there is anyone who has not been to the Seaside Farmers Market, please go! Support local farmers! The prices can't be beat and you will never find anything that tastes as amazing in the stores!