• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Has anyone heard about it yet?

It happened right in front of our church :sosad:
We're 90% positive that the one woman was dead. She was actually turning out of our church when she was hit. But, we can't seem to figure out if it was someone who was attending or not. It was a silver Buick I think (not much left of the car) and she had two dogs in the car with her.
The woman in the other car was taken by helicopter. It was a mess, a terrible wreck. From what we can tell she pulled out right in front of someone who never even had time to think about stopping. Then, was hit by pickup truck head on. It took like 30 plus minutes to extricate her from the car I think. The guy in the pickup seemed ok though.
We're assuming she was just using the church parking lot to turn around or something, although that doesn't make much sense.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
:evil: Bloody 98! I hate to pick up a paper any more...that, and Hwy. 331. My beautiful younger sister was hit head on by a crack addict with no license, just got out of jail, and passing a huge dump truck doing 80mph!!!

I've seen many people use the church as a turn around. So sad....makes me cry!:sosad:

WHY???????? CAN"T PEOPLE BE MORE CAREFUL?????????:dunno: IS IT THAT DIFFICULT?????

After 20 years I thought we would have this fixed by now....but nooooo it's only :bang: moving the fast lane to 30-A now!!!!!:bang:

Sorry but this gets to me~~~bringing out all my emotions......:eek::bicycle: :boxing: :shock: :pissed: :blink: :blush: :sosad: :dunno: :nono1: :pissed: :!: :banned: :pissed: chill people :chill: chill!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
My thoughts and prayers are with whomever was in the wreck. Just even reading about it rips my heart apart.

I cannot stand driving on 98 and will happy SLOWLY drive down 30-A compared to that.... it's one of the reasons we got the heck outta ATL! I've been passed numerous times on 30-A while going the speed limit.

Last edited:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
ItzKatzTime, I'm so sorry about your sister.

I don't think there is a problem with Hwy 98 or Hwy 30-A (or 331) for that matter. There are traffic accidents everywhere, all of the time. I was in Salt Lake City for Christmas and I was amazed at how many traffic accidents there were--daily fatalities in accidents unrelated to weather or bad road design. Drivers everywhere need to SLOW DOWN and GET OFF THEIR CELL PHONES. They need to be particularly careful when they are driving unfamiliar roads (like our out of town guests). We need to be aware that there are people driving our roads who are from out of town and they can and do make sudden stops, abrupt lane changes, etc. when they are trying to find their way around. It is the drivers causing the accidents, not the roads.

ItzKatzTime, I'm so sorry about your sister.

I don't think there is a problem with Hwy 98 or Hwy 30-A (or 331) for that matter. There are traffic accidents everywhere, all of the time. I was in Salt Lake City for Christmas and I was amazed at how many traffic accidents there were--daily fatalities in accidents unrelated to weather or bad road design. Drivers everywhere need to SLOW DOWN and GET OFF THEIR CELL PHONES. They need to be particularly careful when they are driving unfamiliar roads (like our out of town guests). We need to be aware that there are people driving our roads who are from out of town and they can and do make sudden stops, abrupt lane changes, etc. when they are trying to find their way around. It is the drivers causing the accidents, not the roads.

I haven't perceived any of the above posts to mean that the highways are flawed - only the people driving on the highways. I drive on 331 almost everyday from DFS to SoWal, and I ALWAYS witness irresponsible driving choices that put my life in danger - passing on the bridge is what really pi$$e s me off. I just don't understand why some people think what they're doing and where they're going is worth risking life.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I haven't perceived any of the above posts to mean that the highways are flawed - only the people driving on the highways. I drive on 331 almost everyday from DFS to SoWal, and I ALWAYS witness irresponsible driving choices that put my life in danger - passing on the bridge is what really pi$$e s me off. I just don't understand why some people think what they're doing and where they're going is worth risking life.

Maybe when they have taken their own lives is the only time they will actually look back and say, "D***, I should have respected my life and others lives more than I did." An activity, business appt, etc. is not worth a person dying. Sorry to sound harsh, but it really makes me angry when people don't respect their lives & the lives of others.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Where on 98 did the crash occur?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Is this the one?

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/5544186.html

"A Panama City woman was killed late Friday night in a three-car crash on Highway 98 at Inlet Beach just over the Bay and Walton County line.

Killed was Ruth Lakey, 75 years old was killed when a car driven by 26 year old Baheejah Jackson of Tallahassee collided nearly head on with her. Then, a third car driven by 69 year old Russell C. Mann of Gulf Breeze hit the back of Lakey?s car"

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Is this the one?

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/5544186.html

"A Panama City woman was killed late Friday night in a three-car crash on Highway 98 at Inlet Beach just over the Bay and Walton County line.

Killed was Ruth Lakey, 75 years old was killed when a car driven by 26 year old Baheejah Jackson of Tallahassee collided nearly head on with her. Then, a third car driven by 69 year old Russell C. Mann of Gulf Breeze hit the back of Lakey?s car"

This is SUCH a bad turn. the speed limit is 45 over phillips inlet and through inlet. People speed soooooooo bad through this area. I think b/c it is on the county line we dont get good police coverage. State troopers are there every once in a while......:clap_1: God bless the families of the departed....

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
That's the wreck but it's totally not where it happened. It happened in front of Christian International. She was not coming out of the main church entrance, but rather the old church entrance/exit from Prophets Pkwy. You cannot cross the hwy there... only go east. To cross the hwy, you have to go out of the main entrance. The helicopter landed in the church parking lot.

It really had to be the deceased lady who caused it because, there was no way those people would have hit her the way they did unless she literally pulled out right in front of the first car.

My friend who lives on that street, though, said it can be really hard to see out there at night because of the slight curve in the road. She goes across the parking lot and out the main entrance to avoid that.