favorite dining for locals?

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by jensieblue, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jensieblue

jensieblue Beach Fanatic

Where do the locals of sowal go to eat. What are your favorite, absolute favorite eateries. Fancy is not an issue. Looking for the eateries who serve the absolute best, preferably localy produced, food? :dunno:

2. Douglas the Intrepid

Douglas the Intrepid Beach Fanatic

On the shores of paradise, Seagrove Beach

Stinky's Fish Camp is my current favorite! :drool:

3. FloridaBuckeye

FloridaBuckeye Beach Lover

"Fire" in Grayton

4. butterbean

butterbean Beach Fanatic

Not fancy? El Mercadito!

5. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

We think Red Bar at lunch has the best value, most consistent grilled mahi sandwich around.

A little further west- Jasmine Thai in Destin (good food at reasonable prices.) Just tried Sushimoto in the Melting Pot strip mall the other day and had some nice chicken terriyaki and udon soup there. Am looking forward to trying out their sushi lunch specials.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  6. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I love George's at Alys Beach, especially the grouper sandwich. Also Red Bar, the beignets at Flip Flops, and Fabrice pastries at Watercolor (amazing pastries). The donuts at Alys Beach Charlie's donut truck are very good and inexpensive. I'm not a local, but a wanna-be part-time local in a few years.

7. SneakyPete

SneakyPete Beach Lover

Red Bar, Shorty's and Stinky's for far better than average coastal fare (heavy on the seafood) at good prices and great atmosphere. I'd bring a large party of visitors here.

View for miles and leisure meal -- Bud and Alley's and/or The Pizza Bar. Excellent, top quality food at prices that include the environment. I'd bring visitors here for lunch after touring Seaside and the shops.

Barbeque and other inventive menu items -- Jambones. Particularly their eggs benedict on Sunday mornings. Locals mostly, but I'd bring visitors as well, but not if they wanted a leisurely beachy-view dining experience.

Upscale/unusual fare at good prices -- Fire at Grayton, and Vint'j across from the outlet mall. I'd bring the foodies in our group here.

Fresh, cheap thrill Mexican -- Don Pedros. Primarily locals, and not really "special" enough to entice out-of-town visitors (no view, little seafood, very casual atmosphere), but a place we visit often for inexpensive weeknight meals. I don't eat meat so El Mercadito isn't really a place I can eat.

Unusual mix of cuisines (seafood, bar food, and some Korean) all of it quite good at excellent prices -- Steamboat Landing. This is the place we go when we want something simple, delicious, fast and cheap with no concern for view and no wait. Very clean place as well.

8. skinexpert

skinexpert Beach Comber

:DMITCHELL'S-FISH MARKET AT GRAND BOULEVARD-excellent food and prices. Finish with : shark icecream!!!!

9. jamie

jamie Beach Lover

One of our favorite places is Jasmine Thai in Destin.

10. seaschnells

seaschnells Beach Lover

Borago, Paradis, Cowgirl Kitchen, and George's are always some of our favorites!

11. phillycheese

phillycheese Beach Comber

Gravel Road, Borago, Fire, & Onano

12. Plays With Food

Plays With Food Beach Lover

Where is Steamboat Landing?

13. La Botana

La Botana Beach Lover

Fire is my fav, also love the Great Southern Cafe, and Barefoot BBQ for those particular cuisines but If I get one vote for a place for you to visit it would be La Botana!

Forgive me for my bias but I take no credit for the quality of our food, I cant even cook oatmeal! But I have been eating at La B 6 days a week for 16 months and I still look forward to the super fresh AUTHENTIC mexican cuisine during dinner hours. We also serve a more TEX-Mex version for breakfast and lunch next door at The Seagrove Coyote! Please give us a try, Im sure you will enjoy!

14. jamie

jamie Beach Lover

PWF, I assumed SP meant Steamboat in Santa Rosa Beach where Balls Out used to be. Maybe not. One Sunday night it had gotten past 9pm & we were looking for somewhere to eat in that area; everything was pretty much closed. We ended up eating at Steamboat & I was pleasantly surprised by our food. We just had "bar" sort of food, even though they were still serving the full menu. I had the gumbo & a salad, both were good. I helped a friend eat her hushpuppies, really good. Then I sampled fried green beans & fried zucchini, both were exceptional! I was very pleased with all the food we had that night. Okay, enough of my rambling!

15. daisy

daisy Beach Comber

Our very favorites are Vint'j, Fire, Red Bar, Stinkys, and JamBone.

16. daisy

daisy Beach Comber

Oh, I have to add....my favorite pizza is The Pickle Factory.;-)

17. SneakyPete

SneakyPete Beach Lover

Yes, Foodie, that's where I meant. It's just a little pub type restaurant, but the food is solid and fairly cheap -- and I'm hecka glad that you can get a bite to eat somewhere in the summer without a huge wait. Sometimes they have Korean bbq on the menu too, which my husband has enjoyed.

I actually don't think I can say I've had a BAD meal in Sowal, although if pressed I could mention some places I wouldn't visit again.

18. cdclark09

cdclark09 Beach Comber

Gravel Road! Wonderful prices and high quality. Live music mondays and wednesdays. Sushi Thursdays.

19. Garner

Garner Beach Fanatic

Don't forget about Basmati's - the setting is beautiful, the food delicious and the prices are reasonable!

20. deepender

deepender Beach Comber

Gravel Road, Hurricane Oyster Bar and Paradis!
    I eat out almost every meal and each of these has yet to disappoint.