• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Paula, and all - share you favorites here. paula got me thinking about some pasta, pizza, risotto, polenta, etc...

Gorgonzola sauce

3/4 c milk
1/2 stick butter
5-10 oz gorgonzola cheese (crumbled or wedge) - crumble into milk and butter - slowly melt these ingredients. add a little salt.

after completely melted, add 3/4 c heavy cream (or 1 cup), bring to simmer for a few minutes while stirring. add parmesan. pour onto hot penne and stir (reserve a little sauce to use to add to top of each serving). add more parmesan. add toasted pine nuts or walnuts (slightly crushed). stir. serve.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mascarpone and Gorgonzola Sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 cups heavy cream[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup Mascarpone[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup Gorgonzola[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a low boil and stir with a wooden spoon over low heat until the cheeses are melted and smooth. Serve immediately over pasta.[/FONT]

aaah.
I should not open threads such as this when I am already hungry.
I *adore* Gorgonzola. Those recipes look delish, Tootsie.

One of my really favorite Italian dishes is very basic:
Insalata Caprese
Fresh mozzarella
Arugula or fresh basil
Fresh tomatoes
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
(I usually do not bother with the balsamic vinegar.)

I really enjoy pesto; I like making my own and eating it fresh from the garden.
The pesto recipe I use is the one from Silver Palate, except I use pinenuts instead of walnuts whenever possible:
Basic Pesto
Ingredients:
2 cups fresh basil leaves
4 medium-size cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup walnut meats
1 cup best-quality olive oil
1 cup freshly grated imported Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Process the basil, garlic, and walnuts in a food processor fitted with a steel blade--or in 2 batches in a blender--until finely chopped.

2. With the machine running, pour in the oil in a thin, steady stream.

3. Add the cheeses, a big pinch of salt, and a liberal grinding of pepper. Process briefly to combine. Remove to a bowl and cover until ready to use.
2 cups, enough to sauce 2 pounds of pasta

Recently I found a recipe for pesto pasta salad from Cook's Illustrated.
I can't find it right now, and you can't get it online, but this is pretty close:

Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad

Serves 8 to 10 as a side dish.

This salad is best served the day it is made; if it's been refrigerated, bring it to room temperature before serving. Garnish with additional shaved or greated Parmesan.

1 pound farfalle (bow ties) pasta
Table salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup basil pesto, room temperature
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered or grape tomatoes

1. Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil in large pot.
2. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta tow ater, stir to separate, and cook until tender (just past al dente). Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, drain pasta, toss with 1 tablespoon oil, spread in single layer on rimmed baking sheet, and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
3. Mix Pesto with mayonnaise until thoroughly combined. Transfer mixture to large serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemple salad.
4. When pasta is cool, toss with pesto, adding reserved pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until pesto evenly coats pasta. Fold in tomatoes (if using); serve.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Cil - these are wonderful... pesto.... ummmmmm. yes, I'm hungry too.

here is another pasta with mascarpone. I haven't tried it, but I shall!

Pasta with Mascarpone & Prosciutto

1/2 c. Mascarpone cheese
3 T. Olive oil
1 Clove garlic (minced)
3/4 t. Salt
1 t. Pepper
1/2 lb. Pasta (something with lots of folds, such as farfalle or radiatore,etc.)
1/4 c. Grated parmesan or Locatelli cheese
1 c. Baby Peas, cooked al dente and drained
1/3 lb. Slivered Prosciutto
While pasta boils, mash minced garlic and salt with a fork in a bowl-REALLY GRIND IT TOGETHER. Stir in pepper. Whisk in the mascarpone. Set aside. Cook pasta al dente and drain well. Pour pasta into large serving bowl and toss with mascarpone, oil, garlic combination, grated cheese, peas and prosciutto. Serve hot. Serves four.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
My mouth is watering. I can taste all of these wonderful dishes with my " Minds Mouth "

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Those recipes sound wonderful. I have a question, a bit off subject. How do you grow your herbs such as mint and basil. Do you grow it in a bed or a container. I have never grown any and would like to give it a try. (Don't laugh Miss Kitty) Someone told me that mint will take over if you plant it in your flower beds, but I don't have a clue. Thanks.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I must go away from here.......................:eek:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Those recipes sound wonderful. I have a question, a bit off subject. How do you grow your herbs such as mint and basil. Do you grow it in a bed or a container. I have never grown any and would like to give it a try. (Don't laugh Miss Kitty) Someone told me that mint will take over if you plant it in your flower beds, but I don't have a clue. Thanks.

Mint in places where you don't care that it takes over your yard, neighborhood, etc. It smells good when you mow or weedeat it!

Basil in pots and beds. I have 4 pots on my deck, and "backup" stuck in the beds.

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
dbuck, I grow my herbs in containers. This year I actually put my Thai basil in a hanging planter because it gets so leafy and it gets pretty little purple flowers on it, which you're actually not supposed to allow to grow, but I do anyway. I did plant mint this year for the first time (in the ground), knowing in theory it would take over where it was planted, but the reality was even more than I anticipated--you can't stop the stuff! :eek: Oh, and I have a rosemary "tree" which almost looks like a little Christmas tree in a pot!

Last edited:

30gAy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 4, 2006
The greater SoWal metro area
L'uomo Italiano

1 Part Dark Curly Hair
2 Dreamy Eyes
1 Pair of Jeans that look painted on

Prepare body as if carved by Michelangelo

..and voila, a hot Italian man.