• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
We're thinking of flying down for 3 days in February. I have forgotten, but what is the weather/temps. like in mid-Feb.? I know you can't swim, but would it be uncomfortable to walk the beaches, fly kites, etc.?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The avg temps from 1931 to 2004, for Defuniak Springs located 23 mi north of SoWal, show the avg low for Feb as 42.5F and the avg high as 66.5F

We see the snowbirds wearing shorts, but I freeze my booty off.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We're from the north and we were there the last week of Feb. last year. Kids wore bathing suits sometimes at the beach to build sand castles. Adults wore capris and sweaters. We were able to hang out on the porch during the daytime, cooler on the porch at night. Hot tub was great. But that was just for last year and I assume it can be pretty unpredictable in winter. (We've had very good luck so far in November, December, February).

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
January and February are pretty much the only months we can consider "winter" here. However, it is all relative. We do have days when it is in the 40's and windy, we have nights when it gets below freezing. Two years ago we had a few nights in the teens and everybody's pipes froze. HOWEVER, it is hit or miss--for three days it might be in the 40's followed by a week of 60's.

I grew up with real winters, but it is amazing how fast your body adjusts to a warmer climate. I can tell you that, although I still own a parka and wool sweaters, they haven't seen the light of day since we moved here 4 years ago.

Coming from Chicago, you should be fine. The Canadian snow birds love it here in the winter!

Camp Creek Kid said:
I can tell you that, although I still own a parka and wool sweaters, they haven't seen the light of day since we moved here 4 years ago.
This is what I was hoping to read. It is already starting to get nippy at night here in Denver, and the leaves are beginning to change color. I will bring my sweaters, but would be glad if they stay packed away.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Cil said:
This is what I was hoping to read. It is already starting to get nippy at night here in Denver, and the leaves are beginning to change color. I will bring my sweaters, but would be glad if they stay packed away.

It has been a nippy 70F at night down here at the beach for the last week or so. Burrh! j/k - Feels really nice.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Mermaid said:
Sounds like excellent bicycling weather. :clap_1:

Mermaid...I bet you'd trade places with anyone in SoWal in Feb.! My SIL lives in Ft. Wayne...brutal winters! Remember, I am from Texas!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
For goodness' sake, I don't even NEED to give that a second thought. February in the Midwest is drab, drab, drab and usually covered with snow and ice!

Speaking of cold weather (well, relatively speaking, that is), we came down one Spring Break with our kids at the end of March. It was too brisk to swim in the water, but somehow the week just flew by anyway. We walked along the beach, cycled, poked our noses into all the cute boutiques and art galleries, ate out most nights, and had a grand ole time. I don't know why more people don't come down in the off-season. It's not crowded and the sunshine is so wonderful. Not to mention that all you need is a sweatshirt and you're ready to go. I'll take that any day over a ski parka. :clap_1: