• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Anyone heard the word on the new restaurant going in the former Fancy Tomato Catering bldg, in the back of Mystic Porte (Grayton)? I hear that they have another restaurant in NOLA, in an old Fire House, hence the name. Napa Valley type food, whatever that means (maybe expensive). Opening in summer '07, but no signs posted yet.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
SJ - Everything you said is correct, although I can't confirm the open date. They are probably going to close the NO restaurant and move here full-time. Some staff are relocating, but most will be hired locally.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! Our pre-Katrina housing was right across Annunciation Street from Fire! We sat on our porch and watched people come and go out of that place. Rapunzel even was known to peek at the outside diners with her binoculars and point her laser pointer at them at night so a mysterious red dot appeared on their clothing as they ate and drank and wondered if they were about to be whacked. But I ramble...

They did a great job renovating an old Firehouse into a very comfortable space, I will credit them there. But the food concept was kind of strange-they prided themselves on non-regional cuisine and the result was just OK, especially for the price. They also really tried to wow you with their selection of artsy-fartsy martinis which does nothing for me. They DO have a really good appetizer sampler with some sort of olive dip-I know it sounds odd, but it was killer. It wouldn't surprise me if they folded their tent in New Orleans due to location. Yeah, the firehouse was great and one of a kind, but it was/is hidden in a neighborhood that you really have to be going into to get there (if that makes sense). They are off the beaten path and the neighborhood is very quiet. Furthermore, for the price, the food isn't that great...it is maybe about as good as Cafe 30-A (don't give me a hard time, I went it and wasn't bad, just not in the same league as Borago or Tango). Frankly, if it wasn't for the old firehouse, I wouldn't even fathom going out of my way to eat there.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Their new location is convenient but out of site. They won't be getting any drive by - walk by customers. They will need to draw people in on reputation.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Their new location is convenient but out of site. They won't be getting any drive by - walk by customers. They will need to draw people in on reputation.

:lolabove: Didn't they learn that lesson in round 1? I just looked at their website and they went outta bidness recently. I bet they turn the firehouse into a bar...it would be perfect for that.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! Our pre-Katrina housing was right across Annunciation Street from Fire! We sat on our porch and watched people come and go out of that place. Rapunzel even was known to peek at the outside diners with her binoculars and point her laser pointer at them at night so a mysterious red dot appeared on their clothing as they ate and drank and wondered if they were about to be whacked. But I ramble...

Good grief Gladys, you know you were the one with the binocs.:roll: :lol:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Yes, we used to laugh at people going in there because they'd say, "Um, it smells so good," when they got out of their car, but they were smelling our food we were eating on our porch.

The menu was rotisserie chicken, ribs, pizza, and sandwiches. It was comparable to Wild Olives as far as the sandwiches went. I would not have eaten there more than once had it not been across the street. And even across the street, we only ate there five or six times. It was very expensive for the fare. You could get a Zagat score 27 meal for the same price in New Orleans.

Our favorite waiter did work there evenings, though. He also waited tables in the mornings at Bluebird Cafe (in hot pants, SoWal may not be ready). He loved, loved Skunky. I must not have realized Skunk was the lone gunman. I hope he's coming to SoWal, too!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Fire had its "ghost" opening tonight with no advance word that I know of. I grabbed a menu and it looks promising.

http://www.restaurantfire.com (funny website name or ominous?)

We are a restaurant that prepares "American dishes with an emphasis on fresh". Inspired by the fresh yet hearty food of Napa valley, we offer a lunch and dinner menu that changes twice a year supplemented by a "Farmers Market Menu" that will showcase available in season fruits and vegetables, fine meats and cheeses, and artisan breads. This menu will showcase fresh items that we will try and purchase within 100 miles of the restaurant in order to provide the freshest product available.

This website will be updated with our menu, photographs, and general inforamation after our first weekend.

Please don't hestitate to call for general information, reservations, etc. We hope to see everyone in the area very soon.

We will be open for Dinner Tonight . . . July 13, 2007
Monday through Sunday at 5:30 pm

We will be open for Lunch Tuesday . . . July 17, 2007
Monday through Sunday at 11:30 am

55 Clayton Lane
Grayton Beach, Florida 32459
1 Block North of 30A on 283
(next to Frank's Hardware)
tel 850.231.9020
fax 850.231.0860