• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

arkiegirl

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2006
can someone please recommend a fishing boat--family oriented, and one that will be kid friendly for a 14, 11, and 4 year old. not the private charters but the group boats. PM me if you need to

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
The group boats (aka head boats, party boats) typically carry 50 or more people. They allow kids but do not cater to them. They will usually discourage really young kids because the boats are dangerous (they pitch, the decks are wet and slimy, there are knives, gaffs and hooks all over the place, large fish jump around and can be dangerous when brought on board, etc.). If the child gets seasick, bored or sunburned they will not go back, which can make the kid pretty miserable (as well as his/her parents and other nearby adults). So consider yourself forewarned.

The one I have been out on most is the Swoop. I have heard good things about the New Florida Girl and Destin Princess. I think (am not positive) that the Destin Princess is the largest of the bunch which will help with seasickness, boredom and sun/heat. I do not have direct phone numbers for them, but they can be found by doing an internet search using phrases like "destin fishing boats", "Destin Princess", etc.

On edit: Also, be advised that the trip out is about an hour and a half, maybe two. Same amount of time coming back. I think your 11 and 14 yr. olds will be fine, but I question bringing the 4 yr. old.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
arkiegirl said:
can someone please recommend a fishing boat--family oriented, and one that will be kid friendly for a 14, 11, and 4 year old. not the private charters but the group boats. PM me if you need to

I once went out on the Sweet Jody in Destin at the harbor. It can hold lots of folks but isn't so large to be total chaos. You might call and see if they have another family/group willing to share a trip so you can keep the cost low and fun factor high. :clap_1: