• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tidalfish

Beach Comber
Jan 16, 2006
Hi all, we arrived in Grayton Staurday and the weather is great! I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a spot on the bay to fish? We fished off the beach all day yesterday with no luck. Thought we would try the bay any public access close to Grayton?

Thanks tidalfish

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
You could try the 331 bridge. It's been pretty good there. As you found out, the water temps are still a little cool for the surf fishing.

Do you have a kayak or boat? If so, there are some other good spots...

tidalfish

Beach Comber
Jan 16, 2006
John,
Thanks, no boat is the area by the bridge easy to get to? Public parking?

Thanks, tidalfish

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
Easy. Just drive north and pull off to the right, onto the old bridge section. Plenty of parking. If you've got a net, try to catch some bait fish; the trout love them. If not, fish the pilings for sheepshead with some shrimp. You may also find some reds cruising through.

SouthBound

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
John,
You mentioned kayaking earlier. Would this be in calm Gulf surf or inland or bay? Just wonderin'. Been thinking about trying my luck with a kayak vs. my typical surfishing. Any suggestions or tips say for late May?

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
SouthBound,

Yes, a kayak will give you many more options. Choctawhatchie Bay, West Bay, Powell Lake offer great fishing in May and are easier paddling than the surf. However, fishing the Gulf in a kayak can be very rewarding. You don't have to paddle very far. Past the second sandbar you can slow-troll for king mackerel. It's really awesome to catch such a fighter on a lightweight boat. Closer in you may find spanish mackerel, pompano, ladyfish, bluefish, etc. I usually have one rod trolling while a smaller rod is used for sight fishing.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SouthBound said:
John,
You mentioned kayaking earlier. Would this be in calm Gulf surf or inland or bay? Just wonderin'. Been thinking about trying my luck with a kayak vs. my typical surfishing. Any suggestions or tips say for late May?
I have some tips for kayak fishing:
Don't tip over with a shark on the line. :shock:
Don't real a shark in to your boat, nor onto your boat.
If a really big fish starts to pull you out to sea, cut the line.
Keep a knife handy to cut the line if the need arises.
Don't keep stinky bait trailing in the water behind you or in your kayak if you don't plug the holes.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Southbound, i'm not sure a yak for the surf would do you much good at this point...I don't think access to new fish/areas is the issue...w/the water temps below 68/69, i'm not sure the fish have moved into the surf yet...it seems a little early...there's been talk about pomps and spanish in pensacola, but the waters warmer there...all the trolling options listed earlier presume the fish have moved in and i'm not sure they have...you can try 331 to test the Choc bay...Red