1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Fishing reports

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by namdub, Nov 8, 2005.

1. namdub

namdub Beach Comber

I am hoping to come down this weekend and do some surf fishing with the family in the Blue Mountain/Grayton area. We heard reports of GREAT fishing last week. Can anyone tell me how the fishing is today and maybe provide some reports through Friday? I don't want to make the trip unless the fishing is still good.

Thanks

2. Landlocked

Landlocked Beach Fanatic

It will be worth the trip. :D

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

It can vary from day to day. Pompano can be very picky.

4. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

Oh go anyway!!! Who cares if the fish are bitting as long as you can have beer, sunsets, sunrises and good food, and the beach, and...well, you know. JUST GO!

5. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

We were just down this past weekend. What a great time but too short (Friday-Monday). My 12, 9, and 5 year old and I fished everyday. With double and single hook rigs in both Eatsern Lake and off the surf just south of Eastern Lake.

We fished with frozen shrimp and squid. Nothing much in the mornings (6am-9am) but we did talk to a few folks who said surf fishing with shrimp from 7-10pm was good. We heard that Pompano were good Sept-Oct but are thinning out now as SJ said.

We caught several small lake pinfish, saw som big Mullet and what looked like a 2 ft Barracuda but not much else.

My 12 yr old did land a 3-4lb Pompano (17") in the surf on frozen shrimp and it made his whole trip :clap_1: . The picture is in my members album. If we knew where SJ lived :idontno: , we would have brought the Pompano to him but instead we released him for another day.

What a great time.

:cool: :cool:

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Yummy! but I can catch him now. Fun!

7. Little Man

Little Man Beach Comber

This is my first ever post on this wonderful site, so I feel a little guilty. I've been reading info about South Walton through all of your words since the beginning of hurricane season. But, I just haven't answered the call to post a message until now. So, I'm sorry for just browsing ... and for not joining in on the discussion sooner.

My wife and I have vacationed in Seagrove Beach for the past nine years, and we're currently on Day 10 of a two-week stay. Each year, we wait later and later to come down (mainly to avoid the crowds ... and the storms), but this is the first November we've experienced. It's just like the October Smiling Joe described in a post a few months back ... nothing but biting flies, freezing cold temperatures and rain ... ;-)

Seriously though, the weather and the fishing have been equally great. Bait is everywhere down the beaches ... monstrous schools of glass minnows, pods of cigar minnows and the traditional schools of mullet have attracted everything that eats them. In the past 10 days, I've caught little tunny (bonito), redfish, bluefish, black drum, ladyfish, jack crevalle, whiting and the persistent and slimy hardhead catfish. The pompano are spotty and have avoided my bait and presentations, but I'm hoping to catch a couple before we leave.

Today was a bad day to be a glass minnow. At 3 p.m., the ocean exploded as huge schools of ladyfish, jack crevalle and bluefish assassinated everything that was an inch-and-a-half long and silver. What they missed the pelicans and shore birds cleaned up. Underneath all of the action, I'm sure that the redfish had their share of the little fish that couldn't.

I caught a bunch of fish on 3/4 oz. silver spoons cast from a medium-weight spinning rod, and had an absolute blast on a flyrod using a small white and chartreuse clouser minnow. A 40-lb flourocarbon leader was a must on both rods, as everything had teeth (except for the ladyfish, who have pretty abrasive skin -- I guess to match their attitude). The ladyfish, in particular, are the biggest I've seen. Just an incredible rush on spinning or fly tackle.

During the past few days, we've also caught redfish, black drum and whiting on dead shrimp. Most of the bites have occurred near rocks and stumps (look for the darker spots near the beach -- you'll know when you see it). If you can find a section of the beach which has an "outflow," meaning a flow that moves in the opposite direction of the waves, and the rocks, you've found a good spot to soak some bait.

The only downside to fishing today was the pervasive smell that seemed to flood the beach late in the day. We've avoided the dreaded "rt" (I shall not use the former name to avoid invoking its presence) so far, and I'm hoping to finish the vacation the way we started it ... outside on the beach. At any rate, whatever the smell was, it didn't interfere with the fishing.

If you're interested in fishing with a guide, please check out Gordie Hinds at Angry Fish charters (http://www.angryfishcharters.com/rates.html). He's the best around and a terrific companion on the water. You'll catch a bunch of fish and get to meet one of the more interesting (and multi-talented) characters in South Walton.

I hope this info is helpful. When I get back home (sadly) in a few days, I'll post some photos of our stay in Seagrove. From the great food, to the incredible fishing, to the monarchs in the trees, to the incredible double-rainbow on day two of our trip ... it's been a tremendous last week and a half.

C'mon down, the water's still warm!

8. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

:welcome:

Great post little man. :clap_1:

9. Rita

Rita margarita brocolia

:welcome: I don't even fish but I enjoyed reading your post!

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Ditto! Why has the little man with so much to say been so very very quite?

11. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I'm with Rita. Think I may have to go out and buy a fishing pole tomorrow. You are a fabulous writer- very descriptive. I hope this isn't your last post! :welcome:

12. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Hey little man...btw, that is a favorite name of mine...you have a real talent for the written word! I have seen that fish massacre, but if I hadn't you nailed it!! It's really okay that you lurked...many of us did before we bit the bait! Don't stay away now!

13. Landlocked

Landlocked Beach Fanatic

Little man :welcome:

I know you had fun with the Jack Crevalle. Those boys will bend a rod.

14. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

:welcome: Little Man. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. You, like SJ have a way with words! Post often!

15. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

Welcome little man!!!!!! start posting and have some funn!!!!!!! :welcome:

16. Little Man

Little Man Beach Comber

Thanks for the compliments ... I'll try to post more often.

Fishing was good again today, but the obvious feeding frenzy wasn't as pronounced near our beach. About 11 a.m., however, Seaside's beach was downright Hitchockian, as gulls from all over buzzed the shallows in search of whatever the ladyfish and pals were leaving behind. While I'm prone to sprint (well, maybe these days it's more like jogging while moving my arms really fast) to take advantage of this type of incredible fishing opportunity ... it was just a little too far away for me to get there in time. Hey, I'm on vacation.

My wife and I rented a kayak and spent some of the morning/afternoon paddling the lazy green waters just offshore. We fished a little (I have trouble concentrating on just one relaxing activity at a time) and caught a few very big ladyfish and a couple of bluefish. The rest of the day was spent with my nose in a book with the occasional pause to reapply sunscreen. Man, 85 degrees in November ain't bad.

Tomorrow, we're heading offshore with Gordie. Hopefully, we'll have a few fish tales to share.

On an unrelated note, my wife and I finally made it to Cafe 331 tonight. Awesome. Thanks for all of the recommendations. It was worth the wait.

17. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

little man...I know of a certain redfisher that could really benefit from a day with you! I can tell you love and are awed by SoWal!!!

18. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Oh, I think littleman is in the big leagues. Suddenly, I feel very small. The words just roll off his tongue, like a French guy seducing a beautiful woman.:clap_1:

19. sarahj

sarahj Beach Lover

:welcome: to the board Little Man. :clap_1:

20. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

When will little man come back to us?