• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

thoms

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2007
Mississippi
ok ive had success in the past catching lady fish, blue fish, whitting, and the occassional shark in the surf around grayton beach. however, most of the time my fishing is ruined by that thin soupy green seaweed. this year i am planning to rent a kayak and go out past that dadgum grass. i am hoping the kayak will expand the angling opportunities, but ive never done the kayak down there..... Here's my question:

What types of species to you suggest i target if i am fishing from a kayak or from my feet? basically any fishing advice is welcome. i will be in grayton beach from the end of july to the beginning of august. i am obsessed :rotfl: with fishing and will probably spend most of my time doing it. just looking for a little local knowledge. you dont have to tell me about your secret spot or anything, but a nudge in the right direction would be fantastic!

thanks,
thoms

Last edited:

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Well you got redfish and small trout in the lakes but out on the bar in August you might find a bull red, mackeral king and spanish ( all edible). They also say the Tarpon are rollin through if you enjoy be pulled in the kayak. There's also been some large sharks around so I suggest not hanging a stringer over the side. Good luck and tight lines. I'm tired of the ladyfish too.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
Dear thoms:

You will be here at an excellent time for kayak fishing. Kayak trolling has been producing a good number of King Mackeral. For example, on Monday one of our customers caught an approx. 35lb. king between the sandbars. He brought it by the Seagrove store for show-and-tell and promises photos for our "wall of fame".

There's numerous schools of baitfish inshore, so you know the usual suspects will follow them.

Please stop by one of our stores. We rent the Hobie Quest, a very capable fishing kayak with built-in rod holders for trolling, plenty of storage, etc. We've also got all the tackle and baits for sucessful kayak fishing, whether trolling or sight-casting.

Look forward to seeing you.

thoms

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2007
Mississippi
Well you got redfish and small trout in the lakes but out on the bar in August you might find a bull red, mackeral king and spanish ( all edible). They also say the Tarpon are rollin through if you enjoy be pulled in the kayak. There's also been some large sharks around so I suggest not hanging a stringer over the side. Good luck and tight lines. I'm tired of the ladyfish too.

now you're talking (bull red, mackeral king and spanish, and tarpon)! i wouldn't mind a free ride with any of those. What type of bait do you suggest? I figure i can catch mullet in the lakes and other baitfish in the surf (and maybe a crab to tempt the tarpon?) in my cast net.

as for the ladyfish, i dont think i could ever get tired of sprinting down the beach to hurl a yozuri plug into a school of slashing ladys!

thanks for the advice. keep it coming!

thoms

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2007
Mississippi
Dear thoms:

You will be here at an excellent time for kayak fishing. Kayak trolling has been producing a good number of King Mackeral. For example, on Monday one of our customers caught an approx. 35lb. king between the sandbars. He brought it by the Seagrove store for show-and-tell and promises photos for our "wall of fame".

There's numerous schools of baitfish inshore, so you know the usual suspects will follow them.

Please stop by one of our stores. We rent the Hobie Quest, a very capable fishing kayak with built-in rod holders for trolling, plenty of storage, etc. We've also got all the tackle and baits for sucessful kayak fishing, whether trolling or sight-casting.

Look forward to seeing you.

i will definately stop by your stores. that was actually going to be my next question (where is the best place to rent a kayak?). i have been to the yellowfin at grayton corners i think, but where is your other store?

thanks for the help. ill take all the advice i can get

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
now you're talking (tarpon)! i wouldn't mind a free ride with any of those.

you had best hold on tightly, because they swim much faster when the sharks are closing in on them for an easy dinner.

Watch this [ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1818644069040396146&q=tarpon+shark&total=100&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1"]exciting footage[/ame] of a Hammerhead chasing a Tarpon, while the guy with the fishing pole hangs on for the ride of his life.

Last edited:

thoms

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2007
Mississippi
you had best hold on tightly, because they swim much faster when the sharks are closing in on them for an easy dinner.

Watch this exciting footage of a Hammerhead chasing a Tarpon, while the guy with the fishing pole hangs on for the ride of his life.

yeah, ive seen that video. pretty crazy.

oh yeah, whats the deal with the seaweed (i think its called june grass)? If that stuff is out in front of my house does that mean it is all down the beach or does it just occur in spots? How do yall cope with it fishing wise?

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis

Watch this exciting footage of a Hammerhead chasing a Tarpon, while the guy with the fishing pole hangs on for the ride of his life.

:eek: Wow, that video was amazing. I just have 1 questions. If what everyone is saying about sharks is true, (sharks not wanting to mess with people) why were the sharks not scared away by all the boats?

I always like to think of sharks like snakes, they are they but you won't see them, once they hear you coming, they make themselves scarce. I wish I would have waited to watch that until AFTER I got back from vacation. :eek:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
:eek: Wow, that video was amazing. I just have 1 questions. If what everyone is saying about sharks is true, (sharks not wanting to mess with people) why were the sharks not scared away by all the boats?

Have you ever been really hungry? So hungry that you didn't think about anything other than getting food? Sharks were focusing on the food, the fish, not the boats. Unless the boats, or the people on them, start injuring the sharks, they will continue to go after the food.