• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sweet

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2005
I have guests arriving in the 3rd week in May at my Destin home
I need to know where the best place to fish for them. What is running
And where the can dock there boat
Thanks

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
how big's their boat? (makes a huge difference)

for smaller boats there's always destin city park and for bigger ones the marina next door to it (sorry don't know the name) seems nice, but i've never parked up at either one

surf fishing sounds fine but if i had a boat down there right now i'd go looking for cobia (if they're still around) or pompano

remember all the fine stuff about seaworthiness and fishing limits

have a good safe time and don't end up on the news

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Re: Fishing /pomps

Sorry to keep asking, but has the pomp fishing picked up in the last few days/week?...thanks, Red

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
dunno - storms and high gas prices pretty much kept me away last weekend - been saving up for the gas and along with my fishing buddy we almost have the 300 bucks required to fill up both the boat and truck for a weekend trip

we shall soon see what the future holds - usually see some pompano while trolling down the 'rut' (the deep water between the first two sandbars) looking for yummies - i'll let you know what i see

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P4280013.JPG

Caught last week in East Bay.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Richard Davis at 835-0128 does river tours, and he knows where the fish are biting. He has the Marsh Hen that seats 7, and has been doing it for years.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
got here (st andrews bay - west point) yesterday am - beautiful!

going clockwise again - thought it was bombs at eglin but was 'thunder beach' - 40 billion harleys in pcb!

lots of crevalle jacks and a few scattered cobia, and dolphins show up every time you start catching bait and chase the fish off

odd, but there were more pompano in the bay (near the pilings, feeding on last years' hurricane-blown-in stuff that's now living in the sandy flats) than in the surf line - i caught 4 nice sized pomps on tiny green live shrimp, and the biggest redfish i ever saw busted off a 50# line like it was rotten twine but 2 of his smaller companions hit on soft shell crab lures the very first cast

yesterday was a good day

stayed in the playground last night for the first time in ages, then moved behind the island this morning as the playground smelled like pee - they really need some toilets on shell island

this morning it smells funny outside (not the papermill either) and is scuddy with an onshore wind from more west than south

still deciding if we should hoist anchor and go outside up to Destin pass, but radar says storms coming, so we may just stay put and work the giant redfish until the storms get heavy then head back up to west point and pull out - hate to go back a day early but the deep freeze is almost full from just yesterday's action and straight line winds suck

maybe i'm just homesick

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
ok, we're back home and here's the fishing report

st andrews bay - 5/6 - 5/7

pompano - 4 - in the bay flats and the pass where there is a lot of shoaling right next to really deep water - hitting on small live grass shrimp (there were no live sand fleas available due to beach renourishment or whatever) - 20# mono and a pomp rig with 2/0 red circle hooks

red drum (redfish) - 3 - also in the bay, right out from the pompano, but in the deep water only (probably feeding on what was fleeing the pompano action), on small live soft shell crabs and soft shell crab lures on 50# mono tied directly onto a 4/0 offset shank hook in black or brown or the lure - had a hit or two on a chrome spoon but not as convincing as a crab lure

stingray - 1 - amongst the redfish (threw it back)

yellowfin tuna - 3 pounds - cardena's (does it still count if you buy it?)

that's it, but the freezer is full

checking out the rocks with the big light in the marina area of the bay right after we arrived to pull the boat out i saw a whole bunch of trout (my first time seeing bay trout! and i thought about you redfisher!) and a ton of the rusty colored squid (big ones), a small starfish but only one sea urchin, and the tubeworms were feeding like crazy so that's a good sign - lots of oysters and sea squirts on the pilings, and that's a good sign too