• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
http://www.newsherald.com/news/bay_4541___article.html/flights_west.html

WEST BAY ? A regional marketing organization introduced a new executive director Thursday, while another official said flights at the new airport would begin in May 2010.

Mel Ponder was named executive director of Coastal Vision 3000 in front of a crowd of nearly 100 business and community leaders at the site of the new Panama City-Bay County International Airport. Ponder unveiled plans for a membership campaign for the nonprofit marketing organization that has branded a six-county area of Northwest Florida as "The Beach."

Attending Thursday's presentation were state Sen. Don Gaetz, R-Niceville, airport executive director Randy Curtis, St. Joe Co. spokesman Jerry Ray and Davage "Buddy" Runnels, chairman of Destin-based The Sterling Companies.

Runnels, co-founder of Coastal Vision 3000, said national and international flights would begin landing at the new airport in May 2010. "It brings hope and faith that our future is bright," he said.

Gaetz praised the group for its forward thinking.

"I believe a rising tide floats all boats, and Coastal Vision 3000 represents a regional consensus to grow our economy through smart economic decisions," Gaetz said.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

So, at a time when airlines are cutting back on the number of flights; raising the cost of tickets, having us pay even for the first bag we check; and completely ending service to many small cities across the country...at this time the visionary people of Northwest Florida are building another airport!

I wonder if some of the same minds who are responsible for all these half built housing developments around the area are the "visionary" ones who just might leave us with a half built, little used airport.

What are they thinking?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Runnels, co-founder of Coastal Vision 3000, said national and international flights would begin landing at the new airport in May 2010. "It brings hope and faith that our future is bright," he said.

Oh, this raises quite a few questions. Does Runnels have an actual commitment from the airlines? Will the airlines as they are organized today still be around to honor a commitment, if there is one? Is all this based on some hypothetical cost per barrel of oil?
Even the mainstream media, that is the evening news, has been openly questioning whether or not air travel as we have gotten used to it can survive.
I will be surprised if the picture this group is painting really ever comes about. Having a press conference and saying so doesn't make it so. It does remind me of goodwitch's developers and all the rosy, upbeat projections made during the so-called "planning" process.
Shelly, where are you??

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Shelly, where are you??

:wave: I'm out here!....at the site preparing to strip down nekked to welcome the first "national and international flights" that touch down for the Grand Opening in May 2010!
[/sarcasm off]

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
OK...here we go again. All "international" means is that there is Customs available on site. The international flights they are referring to are going to be individuals with more money than they know what to do with that will fly into PCB from international cities in their private aircraft. The way the major carriers structure their routes will not support direct international flights out of PCB.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You should also remember that this airport is being built based on future anticipated needs fifteen years in the future. By then, I'm sure we will have cycled through this real estate downturn, and much of Panama City will look quite different, as will South Walton and Freeport.

Now about that darn CV 3000, they chap my arse with that branding.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
"I believe a rising tide floats all boats, and Coastal Vision 3000 represents a regional consensus to grow our economy through smart economic decisions," Gaetz said.

Just wait til you see what Coastal Vision 3000 leaves at low tide.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I'm really hoping for a direct Northwest flight from Detroit Metro to Panama City. :love: I'd wish for nothing else in the world for the rest of my life except peace on earth. And if Shelly will meet the first flight nekked I'll strip down nekked at baggage claim.

I really, really want a direct flight. (though the one layover in Memphis is not too bad as long as I have a good book)

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
If they would just admit their mistake of the stupid name "The Beach." Geez. You had a lot of people on that committee that really don't know the history of Florida, West Florida, Northwest Florida and the Emerald Coast. Emerald Coast would do for the whole region. Emerald Coast is a name long used for the region they are trying to rebrand. The Emerald Coast was never just used for a small area in Okaloosa County. Okaloosa County wasn't even formed until 1915, half out of Walton and half out of Santa Rosa counties. They even renamed their part of Santa Rosa Island as Okaloosa Island. Just research all the names that use Emerald Coast between the two Cola's (Pensacola and Apalachicola). The marketing could be useful with a little help. But, it won't be as successful if it butts heads with what people really already know. Northwest Florida's Emerald Coast is the jewel of Florida and sparkles as America's Riviera.

Last edited: