• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

casey

Beach Comber
Mar 30, 2007
Thank you so much for all your help. All of your advice and answers have been wonderful ... our dream of owning a "beach house" is definately getting closer to reality.

My next adventure is to learn about flood insurance. Here are a few questions:
- how "dangerous" is it to buy a lot/home WITHOUT an "X" (in flood area)?
- what if half of the lot has an "X" and the other half does not?
- what are the mortgage concerns for a flood vs. nonflood lot/home?

As always, thank you in advance for all your help!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
talk to some insurance companies about flood zones. they will be the best source of info, since they have been changing company policies quite frequently.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I don't know that you are any less likely to get a mortgage, but your annual insurance bill could end up being exhorbitant. If you are in a flood zone you would be required to get flood insurance by your mortgage company. There are three parts to insurance coverage in a flood zone in Florida: 1) Hazard (your typical policy that covers theft, fire, etc. 2) Wind, which makes up only part of your hurricane protetction and 3) Flood, which covers you in an event of a regular flood or hurricane-caused storm surge.

The wind portion of Florida policies is what has gotten so out of control in the past three years. If you hear of people paying $4000, $5000 or more a year on insurance, it's a good bet that at least three quarters of that is for the wind policy. The insurance companies have come to the realization that even those who live inland in the path of a hurricane are vulnerable to damage, so they are charging people so much that for many it has become an economic hardship. Total policies that were once a managable $1,000 a year have tripled or quadrupled, and the wind portion is the reason why.

Flood insurance is another animal entirely. The vast majority of policies are backed by FEMA (even if they are sold by individual companies, they are guaranteed by the government). If you are NOT in a flood zone, the standard rate is $317 a year for $250K worth of coverage. Many people, like me, buy flood insurance even if they aren't in a flood zone just in case a major hurricane causes a huge storm surge that wipes out our house. (If that happened, wind coverage would not help us.) It is not much to pay for peace of mind.

There has been almost no media coverage about flood insurance rates, so I don't know if the government has raised its rates -- or plans to -- in the face of more hurricane-related vulnerability. I found this link where you can estimate your premium costs (remember: flood insurance only) if you know the zone of the property you are interested in:

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/premiumest.jsp;jsessionid=659761E777FE4A06494D6C44F3EA076

I don't know what happens if half of your lot is X and half of your lot is something else. Maybe if you can build entirely on the X portion you would get the X price. You need professional advice for that question, or maybe someone here knows.

My point after this long-winded spiel is not only would your precious beach house be more vulnerable to hurricane activity, the carrying costs in a flood zone might be too high. Because no matter what, you are going to get hit with a high wind premium.

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Whether you are in Flood Zone "X" or not, you need flood insurance! Why would someone buy a home down here and not insure it?? If flood insurance is a deal breaker on the home you are looking for, you need to purchase a cheaper home and insure it. Have we all forgotten what happened in New Orleans?

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/premiumest.jsp;jsessionid=659761E777FE4A06494D6C44F3EA076

I don't know what happens if half of your lot is X and half of your lot is something else. Maybe if you can build entirely on the X portion you would get the X price. You need professional advice for that question, or maybe someone here knows.

My point after this long-winded spiel is not only would your precious beach house be more vulnerable to hurricane activity, the carrying costs in a flood zone might be too high. Because no matter what, you are going to get hit with a high wind premium.

Excellent link TFT.
Everyone is a flood zone, it just is what type it is that determines your rate and /or if you are required to purchase it for mortgage purposes.
Here is a list of Defined Flood Zones. You can also put your address in and see what flood zone it is in.

FEMA changed their flood maps, and you'll see that Zones A and AE etc. (which I believe some of the A types were not listed as high risk previously) are listed in high risk now, but you have to be in a Mandatory Flood zone participating Community (which makes it confusing for some people)
I think I live in one of A Zones in NY, but on top of a mountain, so obviously we do not require flood insurance.

I have had mortgages where part of the property was in a flood zone, and part not. I had to show the Bank via the appraisal and additional pictures that the zone was not a danger to the house. ie; stream at base of hill and house on top.
Each property depending on it's topography and what influences flooding, ie, wetlands, has to be considered, and my guess is if part of it is in (properties in Sowal) that regardless of where the house sits, flood insurance would be required. That would be a question for an agent though and I am assuming would be based on the type of house (on pilings) and ingress and egress to the property.

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Whether you are in Flood Zone "X" or not, you need flood insurance! Why would someone buy a home down here and not insure it?? If flood insurance is a deal breaker on the home you are looking for, you need to purchase a cheaper home and insure it. Have we all forgotten what happened in New Orleans?

So Joshy, you're saying for example, if someone is 250 yds from the beach, in a Flood Zone X, their house is on pilings, they should get flood insurance in the event of a tidal wave? :blink: :dunno: :razz:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach

I disagree. Not all homes need to be insured for Flood Insurance.

Every homeowner needs to make an informed decision about their situation.

That being said, Flood Insurance generally is not very expensive so I would encourage folks to err on the side of caution.

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't think that anyone needs to take any unnecessary risks when it comes to flood insurance. I believe everyone in this area should have flood insurance as a precaution. Is a tidal wave so hard to fathom these days?:dunno:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
We skipped the flood insurance because a) our house is 45 feet above sea level, and b) even when we get 20+ inches of rain in 36 hours, the local storm sewer handles runoff just fine, and we don't get any puddling in the yard