• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

atnashville

Beach Comber
Sep 27, 2014
This is my first experience owning a home in a flood zone. I have had some people tell me that you do not need flood insurance and flood zone X. I have others say that you do. My agent is on the fence. Thoughts?
Thanks for your help!

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I would suggest looking at what the flood insurance policy covers that your regular policy does not and discuss with your insurance agent. For us, flood insurance was relatively cheap and it added some additional coverage, so we decided to carry it.

Garner

Beach Fanatic
Every home is in a flood zone. Flood zone X is the "good one" meaning that the mortgage company will typically not require flood insurance, so therefore you are not required to purchase it. However, unless you are in a unique area (Cypress Dunes & Stallworth Lake are two examples), the insurance is cheap, less than $400 per year. I always recommend that my customers get it for two reasons. The first is plain and simple peace of mind. If the home floods for whatever reason, you are insured. The second is that if your home were to sustain damage in a storm, the flood insurance and the wind insurance companies would have to duke it out amongst themselves as to the source of the water in the home.