• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

drbawa

Beach Lover
Sep 21, 2005
We are pleased to announce that the Flumist Vaccine has arrived for this year. Flumist is the nasal spray form of the vaccine and it has arrived before the injectable form of the vaccine arrived. We expect that the injectable form of the vaccine will be available soon as well.

Unlike the injectable form of the influenza vaccine, the Flumist vaccine contains actual virus that is weakened. Therefore, it is not meant for those who are immuno-compromised or suffering from serious illnesses. It is also not meant for those who have severe asthma as the weakened virus can worsen the asthma in a few cases.

It is currently only approved for those between the age groups of 5 and 50 years old. This is because those under five have been found to have a slightly increased incidence of wheezing after getting the vaccine. It is not approved for those who are greater than fifty years old as there is insufficient data for this population.

Besides these warnings, Flumist has been found to effective in preventing illnesses and is hoped to be more effective than the injected form as it is given in the nose which is the very location where influenza initiates its infection. Also, since the vaccine uses weakened virus, it is hoped that the immunity will be more effective.

We would also like to take this opportunity to remind the community about some of the other forms of vaccination. The ?pneumovax? or pneumonia vaccine is a vaccine developed specifically to combat Streptococcus Pneumoniae which is the most common bacteria that causes pneumonia.

Since the elderly, diabetics and immune-compromised are particularly predisposed to getting pneumonia, it is very important that they get this vaccine every five years.

The flu vaccine is given annually but the pneumonia vaccine is now recommended to be given every five years. This recommendation used to be every ten years so most of the elderly think they do not need the vaccination.

Another vaccination that is often overlooked is the Td or Tetanus-Diptheria vaccination. This is recommended to be given every ten years. Not only does it protect against Tetanus but also provides much needed immunity against Diptheria. There is much concern in the medical community about increasing incidence of Diptheria due to the fact that the elderly not getting this vaccination as recommended.

If you have any questions or need to get this vaccine, please contact our clinic.

Nitin Bawa, MD, PA
45 Sugar Sand Lane, Suite A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
(850)534-4170

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
That reminds me it about time for my tetanus shot. :eek: All fisherpersons should have a tetanus shot every so often so the rusty hooks don't get you! I'll take my chances with the flu as usual, but thanks for the tetanus reminder, Doc! I assume you don't make house calls to central mississippi!

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Ditto on the importance of booster tetanus shots. Anyone frequenting our beaches these days, especially should be current on this. I learned the hard way. Recently fell through the deck construction on our house, after exiting the hot tub one night (hard day). Was unable to get into our doc's office until after the long holiday weekend, only to be told that the tetanus shot must be obtained within three days of an injury in order to be effective. One leg looked like something off one of those big Texas in-ground BBQ pits, but lucky that nothing was broken. I went ahead and got the shot, especially since we're planning on several weeks at the beach this fall/winter. My fisherman brother says there are all kinds of rusty, jagged objects in the water and sometimes onshore. The other lesson learned was how stupid it is to be walking wet and naked in the dark on a construction site. :roll:

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
BTW, my wife has alerted me to the new "bird flu" that is making its way around the asian part of the world. Heard last night that it may turn into a Pandemic (around the world spreading) and could kill up to 1.2M people in the US and reportedly 20M potential worldwide. :shock: No news as to when it might hit. :dunno:

Apparently, it has been in the news for awhile but more stories lately. I have not been paying much attention to it. Sounds really scary. Saw a story on msn.com about 98 yr old man that was a young man when the last Pandemic happened 80 yrs ago and he said it was horrible and hopes he is not alive for when this one comes. There is no known vaccine or cure for this "bird flu" as of yet but they are trying to figure something out. It is present in chickens and has now been found in humans. :evil:

Last edited:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
As Elvis said, "We in the Last Days, Beby!". Something called Tamiflu was the only protection against the bird flu and the bird flu was gaining resistance to Tamiflu (http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=4901). Just stay well away from those who have it when they have it - sounds like the best time to be on the beach, I'd say, in the cold fresh air off the gulf and the hot sun pouring down, with a rag over your nose to stop the airborne infection. I've always believed in alternative medicine so let's see - 2 shots of grain alcohol per day, one at lunch and one at night, eat a lot of citrus fruit for breakfast (until your lips crack), eat as many oysters as you can until you get sick of them (local harvesting areas be opening!), fish is supposed to be good for you so eat a whole lot of fresh fish, eat more fresh fruit than a fruit bat should, eat some steak to benefit your blood and of course if you get Mad Cow you won't know you've got the bird flu! I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but healthy eating (like a horse) and a lot of daily excercise (physical and mental work until I drop) has always done the trick for me.

updated: coffee and dark chocolate supply tons of antioxidants but stay away from milk: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4101

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
During the winter, this place turns into weird disease vector central. The Air Force people come back from TDY in Uzbekistan or Japan or the Phillipines or Saudi or Italy wherever, and bring with them brand new viruses and bacteria never or rarely seen on these shores. And since the bugs tend to be asymptomatic while people are in the contagious stage, they get their kids sick, who in turn get everone else's kids sick, then it gets spead to the civilian parents...

Normally the bugs tend to be more irritating than actually dangerous, but there was a SARS scare in Okaloosa County a while back that, IIRC, involved kids whose parents had gotten exposed to the disease while in Hong Kong.

drbawa

Beach Lover
Sep 21, 2005
Fishermen should definately get a tetanus shot but rusty metal objects are not any worse when it comes to tetanus. Clostridium Tetanus, the bacteria that causes tetanus, is found in soil so any object that is dirty can innoculate a wound with this bacteria. After getting a skin lesion, thorough washing helps remove the bacteria but the vaccination helps the body clear any toxins that might be produced by the bacteria.

As far as the influenza scare, I think the administration put out that information to distract the media from the New Orleans fiasco. After they made those comments, everyone is talking about influenza and no one is talking about New Orleans anymore!!!

For an avian flu to cause an epidemic, it would have to mutate so it can infect humans. This is likely to happen but once it happens, the best remedy would be to kill all infected chickens and quarantine the affected area. None of the known anti-viral medications is expected to be very effective.

The people who will most likely be affected will be in East Asia as they live in very densely populated areas with close proximity to chickens. If you hear of an avian flu that has started to infect humans, I would avoid traveling to any area that is affected and stay away from anyone who has obvious symptoms of a viral illness. I would not advise anyone in South Walton to get worried as yet.

So go out and enjoy the beautiful weather and fear nothing but fear itself... :razz:

Dr Bawa

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
nbawa1 said:
Fishermen should definately get a tetanus shot but rusty metal objects are not any worse when it comes to tetanus. Clostridium Tetanus, the bacteria that causes tetanus, is found in soil so any object that is dirty can innoculate a wound with this bacteria. After getting a skin lesion, thorough washing helps remove the bacteria but the vaccination helps the body clear any toxins that might be produced by the bacteria.

As far as the influenza scare, I think the administration put out that information to distract the media from the New Orleans fiasco. After they made those comments, everyone is talking about influenza and no one is talking about New Orleans anymore!!!

For an avian flu to cause an epidemic, it would have to mutate so it can infect humans. This is likely to happen but once it happens, the best remedy would be to kill all infected chickens and quarantine the affected area. None of the known anti-viral medications is expected to be very effective.

The people who will most likely be affected will be in East Asia as they live in very densely populated areas with close proximity to chickens. If you hear of an avian flu that has started to infect humans, I would avoid traveling to any area that is affected and stay away from anyone who has obvious symptoms of a viral illness. I would not advise anyone in South Walton to get worried as yet.

So go out and enjoy the beautiful weather and fear nothing but fear itself... :razz:

Dr Bawa

I like your way of thinking, Doctor!!!!