• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
When we have crossed we actually do it in the wrong lane so we can avoid all of the cars turning West onto 98. It is a little bit nerve racking though.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Bdarg apparently listens to me occasionally because he just put together my cushy new bike seat.

I rode too far today.:sosad: Going to bed now!

Would you let him NOT listen to you?:D You're too much like me. Good job, BDarg!

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
I'm not in Pt. Washington, but rather north of 98 by a couple blocks in SRB at 393.
We've been putting off buying bikes because I would have two kids in a trailer crossing 98 AND riding down 393 S with no bike path! :eek:
No way am I even attempt it. Those crazy drivers would most definitely run us over and I would never forgive myself. That said, I can't get a bike and a trailer into my van to drive it across... bah.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I'm not in Pt. Washington, but rather north of 98 by a couple blocks in SRB at 393.
We've been putting off buying bikes because I would have two kids in a trailer crossing 98 AND riding down 393 S with no bike path! :eek:
No way am I even attempt it. Those crazy drivers would most definitely run us over and I would never forgive myself. That said, I can't get a bike and a trailer into my van to drive it across... bah.

Hey! Okay, you & I are in the same position, kid-wise, minus my soon to be 2nd grader. What I am going to buy is an Xtracycle. Go to www.xtracycle.com. It's not a separate trailer that attaches via hitch to the bike. It actually becomes a part of the bike.

The whole regular trailer thingy would scare the hail outta me going across.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
My bikes are my secondary, thirdondary and forthondary means of transportation. I now keep one bike in the car, just in case I want to get out and pedal.

FYI- I find that my 255lbs isn't enough weight to make the traffic light recognize that I am waiting for the light to change, so unless a car pulls up onto the pad, the light won't change, and I have to run the red -- just a problem with those darn weight pads for traffic signals. I had the same problem living in Athens, and for several years, my bike was my main mode of transportation.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Hm... that's interesting. I like it, but I'm terrified I would fall over (I don't weigh much, lol!) with all that weight on the back of one wheel with no wheelbase to stabilize it! Something to think about though.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
My bikes are my secondary, thirdondary and forthondary means of transportation. I now keep one bike in the car, just in case I want to get out and pedal.

FYI- I find that my 255lbs isn't enough weight to make the traffic light recognize that I am waiting for the light to change, so unless a car pulls up onto the pad, the light won't change, and I have to run the red -- just a problem with those darn weight pads for traffic signals. I had the same problem living in Athens, and for several years, my bike was my main mode of transportation.

I actually took the last row out of the van, so I have room to put a bike or two in there.

We wouldn't make the weight, either, even with 75Lbs of kids, myself at 145 & the bike. Offhand & not really important, does anyone know what the weight requirement is on those pads?

My feet & the bus were the combo for Athens. Prince Ave was a beautiful walk from Sunset Drive to the Law Library while pg with #1. Before that, I lived off Cloverhurst, so I could get anywhere by foot in less than 15 minutes: school, work, a bar....