• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
For all you JOE owners, you may think about selling. When you see a stock pumping article in a National Magazine like Fortune, it is definitely time to sell.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Smiling JOe said:
For all you JOE owners, you may think about selling. When you see a stock pumping article in a National Magazine like Fortune, it is definitely time to sell.

I'm clueless about the stock market, but very interested as to why the above is true. Please educate.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Camp Creek Kid said:
I'm clueless about the stock market, but very interested as to why the above is true. Please educate.

Often, when the price run-up is over a short period of time, many people who bought prior to the run-up will sell, and take their profits, thereby bringing the price down.

The opposite often holds true as well. When the analysts are saying sell, you may want to find out the reasons why. Perhaps it is because they want the price to drop in order to make some large buys. Sometimes, when people saying buy are the larger traders and they will be selling you the stocks which they hold. It is one big cycle of churn.

EDIT: I guess I should note to do your own due diligence. I am not a Certified Financial Planner, nor do I take any responsibility for your investments.

Maybe St Joe thinks since sales are down for their real estate, they can pump their numbers using the stock market.

Side note: with real estate sales slowing, which is most of JOE's market, why would this "buy" article be coming out? Makes you think, eh?

Last edited:

BigR

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
Nashville,TN
Interesting article,although the part about mountain biking @ RiverCamp seems dubious since its essentially @ sea level. The stock has ranged between 46.97 - 85.25 in the last year. I would consider it if it drops below 50 (its 60.15 now), but then I also thought that W would be a good president, so what do I know?BigR :dunno:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Smiling JOe said:
Often, when the price run-up is over a short period of time, many people who bought prior to the run-up will sell, and take their profits, thereby bringing the price down.

The opposite often holds true as well. When the analysts are saying sell, you may want to find out the reasons why. Perhaps it is because they want the price to drop in order to make some large buys. Sometimes, when people saying buy are the larger traders and they will be selling you the stocks which they hold. It is one big cycle of churn.

EDIT: I guess I should note to do your own due diligence. I am not a Certified Financial Planner, nor do I take any responsibility for your investments.

Maybe St Joe thinks since sales are down for their real estate, they can pump their numbers using the stock market.

Side note: with real estate sales slowing, which is most of JOE's market, why would this "buy" article be coming out? Makes you think, eh?

Geez, SJ, I'm glad you added that disclaimer. I was just about to day trade some JOE stock. Now that I know that you won't take responsibility for my investments, I've decided not to do it--it sounds too risky :roll: .

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Camp Creek Kid said:
Geez, SJ, I'm glad you added that disclaimer. I was just about to day trade some JOE stock. Now that I know that you won't take responsibility for my investments, I've decided not to do it--it sounds too risky :roll: .

Whoo! Glad I added the disclaimer, which stopped you in your tracks. :lol: Just kidding. You never know who may be reading all these posts and how they may react, hence my disclaimer. I know you are smarter than that.;-)

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
I do not get the "cracker chic" phenomenon. I mean, if one really wants a rustic house in the woods, with a canoe...why not find a very reasonably priced cabin in the hill country of Georgia or the Carolinas? These areas don't have bugs or traffic or hurricanes/storm surge. The allure of proximity to ocean/gulf is obvious and enduring. As is the beauty and history of the Pt. Washington area. But backwater new towns? I don't know. My experience says beware land speculation that is associated with themes. The going thing in CA in the 1970s and 80s was "Rancho this and Rancho that." The old dump in Cucamonga (Spanish for "cockroach") was renamed Rancho Cucamonga and became a venue for million dollar plus homes. Then the real estate values calmed down and now no one wants to be a Rancho. The movie "Sunshine State" comes to mind.

The bellweather on real estate values is definitely the Panama City airport project and associated freeway flyover to Seagrove. Our friends are incredulous at how undervalued Gulf view and proximity properties still are in the South Walton area, as compared to other waterfront/resort real estate. An international airport will make the area more accessible to larger affluence, for better or worse. The challenge will be keeping the unique character and quality of life intact, in the face of all that pressure. Affluent newcomers tend to bring their own taste and synergy to an area, rather than taking the pulse and trying to assimilate. There is a lot worth saving in Walton County, that's for sure.

The biggest surprise may be yet to come---the gentrification of Freeport and DeFuniak Springs. The old antebellum houses around that Lake are still a steal and many are in need of refurbishing. These areas are the perfect spot for retiring baby boomers, emphasis on "retiring..."

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
A leading indicator of St Joe real estate??

chartdl.asp

Lots of "in the know" folks were (emphasis on were) holding JOE. The CEO doubled up (40,000 shares sold vs. his usual 20,000) on his insider selling just AT and a little beyond the peak.

The JOE PR machine has been working overtime trying to keep the air in the stock, but it fell and has remained below its 200 day moving average.

News of dividend increases, spreads in Southern Living and saving endangered woodpeckers, and now the Fortune magazine article have failed to move the stock up. On Oct 6, Bank of America lowered the stock's target price to $75 (not good news to folks who brought it after May 2005).

Bottom line: Those who properly used stop loss for their JOE are happier than pigs in the mud. JOE is shaking out its speculators who've moved this stock's price up way too high--way too fast. JOE is at best a $50 stock that has a place in a buy-and-hold portfolio. Take some profit off the table and wait for it to come down before jumping back in.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SHELLY said:
A leading indicator of St Joe real estate??

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=JOE&DateRangeForm=1&CP=0&PT=5&C5=10&C6=2005&C7=10&C8=2005&C9=2&ComparisonsForm=1&CE=0&CompSyms=&DisplayForm=1&D4=1&D5=0&D7=&D6=&D3=0&ShowChtBt=Refresh+Chart

Lots of "in the know" folks were (emphasis on were) holding JOE. The CEO doubled up (40,000 shares sold vs. his usual 20,000) on his insider selling just AT and a little beyond the peak. ...

A little more info:

Insider Transactions for: JOE

SHARE PURCHASE ACTIVITY- Last 6 Months
from yahoo finance - Insider Transactions

This info shows no insiders buying any JOE stock in the last 6 months, yet selling off 188,000 shares in the same period. Notice that is only 10 transactions and is not very large, totalling only $11,280,000 at yesterday's close of $60 per share.

At further glance, I see that Peter S Rummell, Chairman, has been selling 20,000 shares at the beginning of the month for several months. At today's price of $60/ share, that is about $1.2 Million per month.

Also, it is interesting to see that Alfred DuPont has sold over $712 Million :shock: of JOE stock in the last two and a half years, and back in June of this year, planned to sell another 1,000,000 shares. Those are some big bucks. :blink:

Last edited: