• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Grayton Girl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
Sowal
2 nice beach bikes were "dropped off" in my yard in Seagrove last weekend. (It happens this time of year.) No identification, and not rental bikes. Are they yours? I have had them out by the road for 4 or 5 days, hoping the rightful owner would come by and claim them. No takers.

I called the Sheriff to give them a report (in case someone had reported them stolen) and the Sheriff is coming by to pick them up today! Apparently, they initially go to the station in South Walton and then to the north end Impound place - where I fear they will be out in the rain for months, unclaimed and rusted. They have assured me that I will get notice if no one claims them (as I would love to use them in my rental house). We shall see if that really happens....

Anyway, if you have lost 2 bikes, contact me and I can verify if these are your bikes and give you the name of the officer who picked them up. You can go from there....

We were leaving Seaside yesterday and got flagged down by a mom and 3 kids who asked for a ride. They had lunch in Seaside, and then went back to get their bikes. They were gone. These weren't rental bikes. They had a white bike and three kids bikes. If you find the bikes, the owners are staying in a family member's condo in The Crossings at Watersound. They were planning to walk back to Watersound because they couldn't get in touch with anyone in their party to pick them up, but decided it was too far to walk with a little kid. We drove them to WS. Not out of our way.

Grayton Girl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
Sowal
That was really nice of you, Beach Runner!

My recommendation to help with loss of bikes:

1. Always lock, even though you are SURE that no one would want to steal your bike. There's no need for fancy u-bolt lock that uses a key. A simple combination lock is enough to deter someone who wants to "borrow" your bike for transportation. They are looking for unlocked bikes that can be driven off quickly.

2. Take a sharpie and put your name and phone number on the bike in a few places. If your bike is taken and then discarded in someone's front yard, the finder will have a person's name and phone number to call. We have had our bikes returned that way many times (back before we used locks).