• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DiDa723

Beach Comber
Apr 12, 2007
Picture of Found Chocolate Lab

Inserting a picture and hoping someone will recognize... she needs to find her family! Please call Diane at 850-368-3356 with any info.

anniet

Beach Comber
Jun 16, 2010
Inserting a picture and hoping someone will recognize... she needs to find her family! Please call Diane at 850-368-3356 with any info.
Aww, that's not her :sosad:. Jessie was alot darker. I guess it is Liz that has her. Thanks anyways, and I hope you find the owner :)

DiDa723

Beach Comber
Apr 12, 2007
Chocolate Lab is back home(hopefully)

While nailing up (the first of several) signs outside Elmo's last evening, a gentleman (I assume was the owner) came out to ask what the sign said... "Found Choc. Lab with my phone number" was my reply... "Why, do you know this dog?" I asked... which he replied that he had seen her around the restaurant occasionally and thought he knew where she lived (about two blocks down 30-A). He suggested that I bring her back and he would find the owner, which I did... the employees there recognized her and the gentleman placed a leash on her and began to walk her home. End of story?? I hope.

Yes, dogs do get out or get loose. My lab (whom I fondly nick named Miss Houdini) can open doors... latch or round knobs! and has helped herself to an occasional self-guided tour of the neighborhood before she was discovered loose. Locking doors helps, but they are free targets when the grandchildren are in town or I am having a particularly spacey day.

Point?? My dogs have tags, rabies, beach and identification with my phone number in addition to a microchip. This sweet, beautiful lab did not. A collar is no help if there are no tags. First thing I did was have Kindness scan her for a microchip... none. She also was thin and unkept... Ticks were plentiful around her ears and head. I removed the ticks and placed a dose of Frontline Plus on her, fed her well while at "DiDa's Doggy Camp" and returned her where I found her..

Do I think I placed her back in the right environment? Absolutely not although she did not seem to be abused... Do I think we'll see Found ads again for her? Absolutely. My question is- at what point does it become our responsibility to care for the animals that can not care for themselves? After they've been turned in to a county kill shelter or found dead on the road? Alaqua couldn't even take her due to low space and low funds as a result of community apathy for our domestic animals as well as wildlife.

Tough situation... Happy to have any respectful feedback.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I hope this pup finds her good home free of ticks and fleas-maybe she picked those up while on her excursion. She is very cute! Thank you for all you did for her and her human(s).

Sweet Pea, Bloodhound with a great nose, can also pull a Houdini and loves to go on walk-about. So, I walk her the same route both at the beach and in Atlanta knowing that when she tires or gets thirsty, she'll pick up my scent and make her way home, always quite proud of herself! She wears baubles (I.E. tags) and is micro-chipped-she would never stay away very long unless someone decided to pick her up and keep her in their home for a bit.

I like to believe all people mean well with their animals, but that's not always the case. So, we rescue them, love them and find them good, loving homes when we can't find the owners. I used to work with Bloodhound Rescue and if we got one, we would call the owner (if we could locate them) and inquire as to whether or not they have a fence or even want the dog. You'd be surprised at some of the responses. Sweet Pea came to me as a runaway/throw away-whatever. Her humans in AL didn't have a fence (which is a cardinal sin with Bloodhounds) and stated they didn't want her any longer after the last litter was born. Puppy Mill!

I'd say I'm pretty danged lucky to have her.

Continue educating as you are with your posts! Hopefully, this girl will be sporting tags asap!

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Sadly, DiDa, I have no answers.

When people abuse, neglect and throw away children, I am not sure we can even begin to make some responsible pet owners. :sosad:

Studio ce

Beach Comber
Jan 12, 2010
Seagrove
facebook.com
Chacolate Lab W/Red Collar

I am still trying to find her owners ....She is still w/ Birdie and me but we would love to find her home if not a good home. I'm starting to get attached and I really don't need another Lab....
I went to the neighbors behind Elmos Grill on 3oA... but no luck.

You can call 850-226-3220 for info...
Thank you

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Looks so sad!

Not sure if she looks sad because she's lost, or she's been so neglected!:dunno::sosad:

DiDa723

Beach Comber
Apr 12, 2007
Thanks for helping choc. lab!

I am still trying to find her owners ....She is still w/ Birdie and me but we would love to find her home if not a good home. I'm starting to get attached and I really don't need another Lab....
I went to the neighbors behind Elmos Grill on 3oA... but no luck.

You can call 850-226-3220 for info...
Thank you

:clap:You are so kind to help this chocolate lab girl... Have you tried contacting Laurie Hood with Alaqua? If she doesn't have room for her, she may be willing to do courtesy posts to help find a home. They do such a wonderful job with that!

Good luck and keep us posted. She is lucky to have you to care for her!

Studio ce

Beach Comber
Jan 12, 2010
Seagrove
facebook.com
:clap:You are so kind to help this chocolate lab girl... Have you tried contacting Laurie Hood with Alaqua? If she doesn't have room for her, she may be willing to do courtesy posts to help find a home. They do such a wonderful job with that!

Good luck and keep us posted. She is lucky to have you to care for her!

Hi D,
I wanted to do an update on The Chacolate Lab w/ red collar...who I now call Gypse....I kept her for a week and I couldn't find her owner.
But I did find a nice home for her to live in forever unless the other owners show up... She lives across the street from me and I can check on her often..:clap:I was starting to get attached... I cried after leaving her...but I know it was the right thing to do.