FOUND YELLOW LAB (Male- unneutered)

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Geo, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

We were at Redfish Village tonight for their weekly Friday night soiree when I heard that some of the staff there found a stray dog. When I heard they didn't have any options for him tonight and planned to let him go ("so his owners could find him") I realized I couldn't let that happen...

So...

He's here at our house for the night...

Pls help me get him to his rightful owners or, in the interim, pls foster him...

He is a yellow lab- at least that is the most likely breed. He could have some New Foundland (per my wife) but I don't know...

He is very well mannered. Was a little skittish initially but is getting over that quickly. He is showing around the waist that he has been hungry. He is not neutered. He has nice teeth. He seems like he is someone's lost pet rather than a homeless dude. He took naturally to the car like he is used to going for a ride...

Here is a pic. Pls help me get the word out. I was so encourgaged when i saw the lost American Bulldog get reunited with its owner with the help of Kurt's special medium here. Hopefully we get the same outcome and we get it fast...

He is great but he can't stay here...

PM me for info/with info...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

oh he is beautiful. Good luck.

3. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    What a cute dog. :wub:

4. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

Can anyone take him?

Can anyone take him? I called Animal Control and it is likely that they can't pick him up until Monday...

He is a really good dog but he has one thing on his mind- my female Boxer. He is a little too friendly and she is saving herself for marriage...
    :lol:

I really can't keep him here. I only took him last night because the people who found him were going to let him loose and I don't want him harmed...

Pls help...

5. 4dogs

4dogs Beach Lover

finding his home

It is Saturday so many of the local vets are closed. Some are open untill noon. Call them all and let them know that you have found this dog. The owner may be calling vets as well.
    Don't forget to call Gulf Winds Animal Hospital 233-8383
    If you can take him to Barry Vet they can scan him for a micro chip.
    He is beautiful and I know his owner must be going crazy.
    To bad he did not have a i.d. tag on.
    I have a scanner by I am on my way to DFS for the Alford benefit. If you don't get him to Barry's pm me and I will make arrangements to scan him for you on Sunday.
    You could also put up some signs in the area that he was found in.

6. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

Thx!
    Barry is our vet and I have an appointment to get him scanned this morning. Will post an update...

G

7. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

Dog isn't chipped...

Animal Control came over and said they thought the dog's name is Kiko and that he belongs to a Hispanic family in a nearby trailer park. I have their address...

He told me that he returned the dog to these folks more than once (they leave it loose) and that they received a citation in the past. He said after that they tied it up- FOR GOOD :eek: and that over time its collar went into its neck until a neighbor noticed and freed him...

When the Animal Control truck pulled up in front of the house the dog seemed afraid- took steps backward from the window and then hid behind me...

When the officer came to the door and I opened it the dog saw him he growled at him.

Animal Control said if they took him that they would hold him for 7 days and then he will be put down...

I don't want to give him a death sentence...
    So I told animal control to give me a few days. No one in my house felt good about us handing him over to Animal Control- especially the dog (based on his reaction to the AC officer and his truck)...

Anyone? Can u help?

8. aggieb

aggieb Beach Fanatic

are you 100% positive you can't keep him? if we resided there, i would take him off your hands in a heartbeat, he's a handsome fella. good luck, he definitely needs a loving home.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  9. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

We already have 2 (rescued) 80+ pound-dogs in a rental house, or I would take him in a heartbeat. He's a beautiful dog.

Come on sowallers. If you can't take him, don't you have friends/relatives with yards who want a great dog?

10. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Alaqua may not be able to take dogs at this time, but there is another rescue organization in DeFuniak. I have no reference on them, but I think abused dogs are their specialty.

There is also an active Labrador Rescue in the greater Emerald Coast area. They were advertising in the Walton Sun in the last couple of weeks. Even if your guy is a mix, he's definitely more Lab than anything.

I'm sorry I don't have phone numbers...but wish you luck!

11. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

Any luck or new information??

12. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Labrador rescue

Here is the number for Lab rescue in Florida 1-866-464-LABS. Allen Rescue Foundation (ARF) in DFS is another option. I wish I could help more, maxed out money- wise at 4 dogs and a cat. You might also try Bay County Humane Society (say you are in PC).

13. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

You're a sweetheart for taking such good care of him. He really is a beautiful dog with the sweetest eyes and face. Good luck in finding him a good home.

14. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

What a sweet dog! :wub: Thank you for not letting animal control have him. The Hispanic family obviously is not going to take care of him properly. I'd give him a home if we were down there as we have been dogless for a year and a half but my husband is not ready for another dog after 15 years of two that had diabetes and cancer.

Someone please step up and give this great looking dog a good home.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  15. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I would strongly advise against this, they are currently on the verge of closing their doors due to funding issues. The only option will be Bay County animal control and they have the 7 day rule. All of the animals at the Humane Society will be transfered if they don't get the funding they need to stay open.

16. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

This is killing me........we have 7 dogs, most of them rescue dogs or unwanted dogs, and I'd take that one, but just can't do it. I am praying that this beautiful dog finds a good home.

17. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Okay, here's the thing. I called Laurie at Alaqua to plead the case. If you can have him tested for heartworms and he comes back negative, she will foster him. Sorry I can not do more for y'all. Heartworm treatment is beyond her current ability, she has seven dogs on meds now. Maybe you can afford to help- hate to ask but Chipley is a bad end for a good dog. I have some calls out to duckhunters I know in Alabama. Maybe that will pan out. You can call me if you want - 850-835-5225 Amy

18. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

I can help with the $$$ part of it...I'll pay for the doc visit.............GEO....PM me....I would like to do my part.......

After the doc visit, if the dog has heartworms, I'll help with that too.

19. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

Update

Sorry it's taken me a while to post. This is going to be a long one-

Per my last post, I didn't give the dog to Animal Control but i did get his owners' address. So I drove over there without the dog to check it out. It is the trailer park off of 393 on Country Club...

I knocked on the door and a young couple answered. They were nice. I asked if they were missing a dog and they said yes. They said his name was Kiko just like AC told me. They asked if I had him and I said yes...

I gently probed about what AC told me- that he was behind on shots, was found on more than once occasion running loose and that his collar was much too tight- supposedly going into his skin...

They said that Kiko, along with the neighbors' dogs, was allowed to run loose in the trailer park until there was an incident with the cable guy. AC was involved at that point and cited the owners...

The male owner said that he was in the hospital for a while and that they lost track of Kiko while he was there. He then showed me a big scar on his side to support his story...

I asked if they were going to take good care of him and they said yes. I asked if they needed money to get him shots and to care for him and he said no...

So I went home and got the dog. What happened next was out of a Benji movie-

When I pulled into the driveway Kiko was sitting in the 3rd row of my SUV. I opened the hatch and the reunion was to begin. The owner said, "Kiko, Kiko" and then something in Spanish. The dog looked at him and then looked away...

When he tried to grab him Kiko jumped into the 2nd row seat and ducked down. The owner walked around to the side of my SUV and opened the passenger side back door nearest to where Kiko was laying. Again he said, "Kiko, Kiko". The dog jumped into the baby seat on the opposite side of the car. Clearly he wasn't happy to see him...

It gave me a bit of a stomach ache...

I asked the owner why the dog was acting like this and he said the dog didn't like to be tied up all the time. He then told me that they were staying with another family in the trailer and that the dog wasn't allowed inside. He slept on the porch at night. He said they would be moving into their own place soon...

Again I asked him if they were going to take good care of the dog. Again, he said yes. I told him that if he thought he couldn't care for him or didn't want to that I would-

And before I finished my sentence he asked me if I wanted the dog and seemed very nonchalant about it like he would be happy to give him to me. I said no but that I cared for the dog very much and told him that I could help him find someone who would take him. I told him I would come back to check on Kiko...

I left reluctantly and about 2 hours later I received an interesting call from the Animal Control officer who was at my house earlier that morning. He said that he had apparently made a mistake and that he no longer thought the dog I had was Kiko. I asked him why he changed his mind and he said that he just went over to the trailer park and that he met Kiko's owners and that Kiko was there. He said he asked them if someone (me) just brought this dog over and that they said NO that Kiko had been there the whole time...

The owners told AC that they were behind on Kiko's shots because of the hospital visit and showed the scar. AC told the owners that if they didn't get the shots by Tuesday (today) that they would be back with the Sheriff to take Kiko...

I let AC know that they were lying and that I did, in fact, drop off Kiko to them just before their visit with the owners. AC said he thought it was possible that they lied because someone in the house was illegal.

:dunno:

Anyway, I was and still am torn here. They are Kiko's owners and they said they would do the right thing. I do not feel the dog is in the best situation with them but do I really have the right to decide if I have not witnessed any abuse?

SO...
    I am going to try to find out if they followed through and got Kiko his shots. I am going to drive by their place today and check on Kiko. I will let you know what I find out...

Thanks to everyone who is trying to find options for Kiko. We still might need the help depending on how this turns out...

G

20. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    Geo you are one of a kind. Thanks for the update, and for taking the time to take such good care of him. Please keep us posted on Kiko. I would have had a hard time giving him back. But I probably would have done it anyway. And I would be biting my nails just like you. As a woman I would probably be afraid to go back there though. We all just want that dog to be well taken care of. Too bad the owner doesn't seem to care. :sosad: