FOUND YELLOW LAB (Male- unneutered)

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Geo, Jul 18, 2008.

1. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Here to help

I think you did the right thing. Let the doggie community on sowal know if you need help of any kind. Maybe someone can check on the dog from time to time- I would leave a bag of food on the doorstep anonymously. I understand that people are afraid of guys in uniform, but maybe it will encourage good behavior.

2. seagrover

seagrover Beach Fanatic

Geo - I know the area you are talking about. I went there once for an appointment and was terribly uncomfortable with the situation.

We can't take him with our 3 already but let me know if you need help financially for him.

Best of luck for Kiko!

3. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

God, that story just breaks my heart. That the dog would literally try to avoid "capture" by its owners saddens and angers me. Why in the world do people get pets when they have no intention of caring for them? It's not like the government/community/life "forces" dogs on people.

I understand your dilemma, Geo. Should you end up with Kiko again, I can try to help you financially with his care until we can find him a loving home. He's a beautiful dog. I'm afraid Mr. Critter would divorce me if I brought home another one. Is Alaqua still an option? I bet we could get enough donations to handle the heartworm situation if it's an issue.

4. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Yes, I spoke with Laurie and she will take him. She just can not afford the heartworm treatment if he is positive. I feel sure we can raise the funds for Kikko somehow.

5. Gypsea

Gypsea Beach Fanatic

Count me in. :wave:

6. rebster59

rebster59 Beach Comber

North Alabama visitor

Ok,I know ya'll are going to think I am a little strange here,just coming out of the blue.
    I just joined this site yesterday and read this sad story. Am a dog spoiler and amateur dog rescuer,as finances allow!
    I will be down in the area starting Aug 2nd...my annual visit.

Just raising a possibility here....to the original poster (Geo)..would you consider letting all of us pay to neuter the dog and get him current on shots and heartworm,then giving him a home with you?

Hope I am not barging in too much here,just an idea to try to help out...

7. Gypsea

Gypsea Beach Fanatic

:welcome: r59! Enjoy your visit!

8. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

Hi All:

Thx so much to everyone for stepping up with offers to help out with funds for shots, heartworm treatment, neutering, etc. for Kiko. Another shining example of how SoWal is a special place with special people- local or virtual...

:clap:

While I care about Kiko's well being very much, I am afraid I just cannot take him. This isn't due to financial limitations. We have a dog and two kids and I talked it over with my wife and we are in agreement that this isn't a viable option for us at the present time.

But I am still committed to helping Kiko and will keep you in the loop...

Thx again!

G

9. Miss Critter

My offer still stands if another sowaller is willing to take Kiko. Or if someone can foster him in the interim while we get him tested/neutered for Alaqua.

10. rebster59

rebster59 Beach Comber

Geo,

Did you find out if AC picked him up today?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  11. wracso

wracso Beach Lover

Would it be better if he was taken from these people and brought to the vet and tested for heartworm, neutered and then brought to Alaqua? At least he would be safe and well taken care of until a family that can give him the love and kindness he deserve is found? With the donation pledges to help pay his vet bill maybe this would be better for him? I hate to think of him on the loose again and what could happen....

12. Miss Critter

On the loose, or worse, tied up all day and night in this heat.

13. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

AC hasn't returned my calls yet. I will try again tomorrow...

But this morning I drove over there to snoop. I didn't see him on the front porch or tied anyplace so I feared many things. But then before I drove off I made one of the sounds that I use to call my dog- sounds almost like a long kissing sound...

And there it was- a bark. It sounded like Kiko and it came from the back of the house. I didn't feel comfortable getting out and snooping on private property when everyone was likely asleep. But I am pretty sure it was him...

So now I want to hear from AC if they verified he had shots or if they didn't- what the next steps are...

G

14. Miss Critter

Poor Geo. All this from trying to do the right thing. As they say, no good deed shall go unpunished. :lol:

15. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

There's a special place in hell for people who mistreat animals! :angry:

16. rebster59

rebster59 Beach Comber

Thank you Geo!

Thank you for all of your efforts in this Geo. Please keep us updated. I am asking around here for anyone that wants to take him.
    I don't have a problem with just going and getting him if he is chained up in a yard.....covertly of course:dunno:

17. wracso

wracso Beach Lover

Me either.. I will help get him if needed too....

18. Miss Critter

I'm pulling my "covert ops" attire out of the closet. . .

19. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Apparently it's like beach chairs in sowal, does everybody have :ninja: outfits?

20. jamie

jamie Beach Lover

that poor dog! thank you, geo, for all that you are doing for kiko. we adopted 2 "boys", pretty big boys, from a shelter & we are limited on space. keep us posted!