• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Here to help

I think you did the right thing. Let the doggie community on sowal know if you need help of any kind. Maybe someone can check on the dog from time to time- I would leave a bag of food on the doorstep anonymously. I understand that people are afraid of guys in uniform, but maybe it will encourage good behavior.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
Geo - I know the area you are talking about. I went there once for an appointment and was terribly uncomfortable with the situation.

We can't take him with our 3 already but let me know if you need help financially for him.

Best of luck for Kiko!

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
God, that story just breaks my heart. That the dog would literally try to avoid "capture" by its owners saddens and angers me. Why in the world do people get pets when they have no intention of caring for them? It's not like the government/community/life "forces" dogs on people.

I understand your dilemma, Geo. Should you end up with Kiko again, I can try to help you financially with his care until we can find him a loving home. He's a beautiful dog. I'm afraid Mr. Critter would divorce me if I brought home another one. Is Alaqua still an option? I bet we could get enough donations to handle the heartworm situation if it's an issue.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
God, that story just breaks my heart. That the dog would literally try to avoid "capture" by its owners saddens and angers me. Why in the world do people get pets when they have no intention of caring for them? It's not like the government/community/life "forces" dogs on people.

I understand your dilemma, Geo. Should you end up with Kiko again, I can try to help you financially with his care until we can find him a loving home. He's a beautiful dog. I'm afraid Mr. Critter would divorce me if I brought home another one. Is Alaqua still an option? I bet we could get enough donations to handle the heartworm situation if it's an issue.
Yes, I spoke with Laurie and she will take him. She just can not afford the heartworm treatment if he is positive. I feel sure we can raise the funds for Kikko somehow.

rebster59

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2008
North Alabama visitor

Ok,I know ya'll are going to think I am a little strange here,just coming out of the blue.
I just joined this site yesterday and read this sad story. Am a dog spoiler and amateur dog rescuer,as finances allow!
I will be down in the area starting Aug 2nd...my annual visit.

Just raising a possibility here....to the original poster (Geo)..would you consider letting all of us pay to neuter the dog and get him current on shots and heartworm,then giving him a home with you?

Hope I am not barging in too much here,just an idea to try to help out...

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Hi All:

Thx so much to everyone for stepping up with offers to help out with funds for shots, heartworm treatment, neutering, etc. for Kiko. Another shining example of how SoWal is a special place with special people- local or virtual...

:clap:

While I care about Kiko's well being very much, I am afraid I just cannot take him. This isn't due to financial limitations. We have a dog and two kids and I talked it over with my wife and we are in agreement that this isn't a viable option for us at the present time.

But I am still committed to helping Kiko and will keep you in the loop...

Thx again!

G

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
My offer still stands if another sowaller is willing to take Kiko. Or if someone can foster him in the interim while we get him tested/neutered for Alaqua.