Franchises and Chains

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Smiling JOe, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Okay, it sounds like some people need to say some things about franchises and chains coming into SoWal. What are your thoughts? Personally, I welcome Publix, and maybe a FedEx/Kinkos, which we dont currently have, but I cannot think of any others which I would like to have in SoWal. One major problem that I see is that most small business owners which would be the competition for the chains, do not have enough cash to get started, much less compete.

2. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

IMO, some of these chains and franchises are fine and actually enhance your visit to the beach...Publix. As long as they stay OFF 30-A and add value to the local's life, I am fine with them. I do not favor ANY fast food chains...keep those on 98! Most immediate need I see, is affordable apartments for our service folks...have any started nearby?

3. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I'd rather drive to the Publix in Sandestin than have it in the neighborhood, and I've always loved Publix stores. It just sets a bad precedence for big chains in our area. In my opinion the concentration of traffic that exists now at the intersection of 395 and 30-A is largely due to Publix traffic.

4. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

The Tom Thumb's were grandfathered--I'll accept that. But how did the Starbucks and the brand new Subway get in? I heard a rumor that they found a loophole in the regs by having their storefront not face the road, but I don't know whether that is true or not.

5. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I agree about Tom Thumb. But ditto on the other question.

6. wallymom

wallymom Beach Lover

I was very disappointed to see the Subway sign a couple weeks ago. Part of the charm of Sowal is that eateries are small and locally owned. I hope we don't see any additional chains along 30-a.

7. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

I agree that it's good to keep most chains off 30A -- e.g., subway. Is there anything the local citizens who get to vote can do about this at town meetings?

8. Diane4145

Diane4145 Beach Fanatic

Next best thing to Fed Ex/Kinkos, is our UPS Store at Watercolor Crossing, on 395. It's located to the left of Publix, ;-) for those not familiar. They offer copying, faxing, mailing packages, etc., just not quite as many services, probably. I use to be in Commercial Real Estate, you can bet that their rent's up there! :eek:

9. Diane4145

Diane4145 Beach Fanatic

:dunno: What am I missing? Where's Subway, on 30A?

10. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

About halfway between Grayton and Blue Mountain Beach, in a new strip mall on the north side of 30-A.

11. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

The folks at the UPS Store at Watercolor Crossing are great! They have really helped me out in a jam, and donated services to a major school fundraising event when we needed them. good community-oriented people. not at all like a chain.

12. Teresa

I don't think there is much we can do to prevent chains along 98. and there isn't much space on 30-A for anything substantial (I don't think). I guess we'll have to worry about the biggies like Walmart, Target, TJ Maxx, Home Depot, another Destin Commons, etc. But many locals will welcome the convenience. I would like to see it kept to a minimum, and no really massive department stores. Hwy 331 will eventually be a hot spot for chains as well... I think people can have some say about something really major as it comes up for development approval. But the little chains will keep coming, I'm sure. I would love a good steak house but could care less about fast food...

13. WaltonUndercurrent

WaltonUndercurrent Beach Lover

There doesn't appear to be a boom in small business in South Walton because it's so expensive to get started. Maybe it's selfish, but it would be nice to be able to drive through and get a 4.00 Wendy's every now and then - here's a novel idea, maybe even have a pizza delivered? I hear they do that now?

14. lollygal

lollygal Beach Fanatic

I don't want to see any kind of "chains" on 30A. IMO, that is what separates 30A from Panama City and Destin. It is great to know you have a place on the beach where when you leave you don't face golden arches or other flashing signs advertising bungee jumps. That is the charm of 30A. You can get that in a short drive by going to Destin or PCB, but you don't have to deal with it on 30A. We need to make sure that is always preserved.

15. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

My problem with Subway is that they tried to kill me a few years back. (well I felt like I was going to die at the least) But as long as a chain complies with 30-A architectural standards, why not? The zoning and traffic capacity caps would probably keep out anything big box. And it's nice to find cheap eats in an area where lunch normally runs about $10/head.

16. Teresa

okay, okay, I'll go for a Wendy's cheeseburger and fries. :drool:

17. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Oh c'mon- nobody wants a White Castle? Their buildings are SOOo beautiful! And really white! And they would look great at Alys Beach!

18. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

We had the Pizza Hut which delivered but they stopped delivering due to lack of staff, so I am told. Now they are gone.

19. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

It would be great if we had some delivery (as far as I know, Brunos offers the only delivery) but it doesn't have to be from a chain. Someone could probably do a great business by being a delivery service -- e.g., independently delivering food from different places. Can you imagine how many renters would have delivery if rental owners kept the phone number and menus from the delivery service on the fridge or by the phone.

Rather than chain stores, I'd like to see independently owned hot dog stands, hamburg stands, etc., that provide inexpensive food (e.g. $5.00 for a hot dog, chips and drink) in some areas -- it would feel more "beachy" and less "mallish".

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Grayton Corners has 1/4#hot dogs, and you can get a dog, chips and big drink for around $3.50.

The problem with the delivery service is that with the price of gasoline and labor, it would be difficult to keep money in the pocket.