• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
The turkey, that is. And is it Roasted or Deep Fried? Free Range or Supermarket Special?

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
The turkey, that is. And is it Roasted or Deep Fried? Free Range or Supermarket Special?
I got a fresh turkey last year from the butcher. In all honesty, none of us could tell the difference. I mean, it was very good and juicy, but frozen Butterballs are too. I don't think I would order one again.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
fresh only please!!! no need to order here. just walk in publix and pick one up.

I was just listening to a turkey expert on NPR. she was talking about the importance of brining the turkey and how much moisture it adds (this is a very important step for any roast turkey or hen, it needs to gain some of its hydration lost in packaging). I've started this practice in the last few years with all turkey, turkey breast, and hens, and it truly makes a difference.

another important step is to start the turkey out at high heat, breast side down, then rotate to each side, then finally to breast side up. then turn heat down to whatever.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Deep fried turkeys are delish! The only trouble (or advantage, depends on how you look at it) is that the neighborhood has turkey aroma for days. :D

We've had all kinds of turkeys over the years: fresh, frozen, roasted, fried, you name it. I can't say I have a preference for any. They're all good to me. As long as you don't the living daylights out of it like I've been known to do in my younger years. ;-)

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
fresh only please!!! no need to order here. just walk in publix and pick one up.

I was just listening to a turkey expert on NPR. she was talking about the importance of brining the turkey and how much moisture it adds (this is a very important step for any roast turkey or hen, it needs to gain some of its hydration lost in packaging). I've started this practice in the last few years with all turkey, turkey breast, and hens, and it truly makes a difference.

another important step is to start the turkey out at high heat, breast side down, then rotate to each side, then finally to breast side up. then turn heat down to whatever.

You are right-on regarding brining, it is delicious that way-super juicy and you do NOT taste salt!

Long story for a short answer:

We moved into our beach house on the day before Thanksgiving 2002 because that was the first day after its completion that I didn't have to work. I was determined to serve a formal Thanksgiving dinner the next day. I cooked everything that was freezable the weekend before, and I bought all of the groceries we'd need for Thanksgiving since I assumed Winn-Dixie would be closed (this was pre-Publix). A whole turkey would have taken up too much room in the cooler, and we never eat the dark meat anyhow, so I bought a turkey breast. Yes, it doesn't have the visual appeal of the whole bird, but why throw out the dark meat when we don't eat it, and why deal with the gross-looking carcass?

BTW thanks to Beach Jacket's design skills, we had the kitchen stuff fully unpacked, as well as the house presentable for guests by Thanksgiving Eve. Needless to say, we worked our booties off. It looked beautiful.

We've had Thanksgiving at the beach and turkey breast ever since. This year we'll be in Georgia for Thanksgiving because Beach Jacket and bf and bf's family decided to go see The Who on Thanksgiving Eve. GRRRR! BJ and her bf are late sleepers -- there's no way they'll get up early enough after a concert to make it to the beach at a civilized time (not to mention that I'd miss cooking with her :love: ).

So I'm cooking a Butterball turkey breast again, but in Georgia. My only regret is that we can't make jokes about what the neck looks like :funn: (as my Mother always did every year if you happened to read my Thanksgiving recipes).

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Done it all. I keep going back to a fresh Butterball. Mr. Kitty finally talked me into that brining thing...I thought it would taste like a salt lick. It was good.

BTW...MS (My Son, Male Spawn, Mr. Steven) is coming home...TOMORROW!!!! Just received his Columbia shuttle confirmation and he is flying into Love Field (take that Mr. Wright!!) which is so much closer to our home! Molly is going to FLIP! :clap_1: Gobble Gobble!!!

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Done it all. I keep going back to a fresh Butterball. Mr. Kitty finally talked me into that brining thing...I thought it would taste like a salt lick. It was good.

BTW...MS (My Son, Male Spawn, Mr. Steven) is coming home...TOMORROW!!!! Just received his Columbia shuttle confirmation and he is flying into Love Field (take that Mr. Wright!!) which is so much closer to our home! Molly is going to FLIP! :clap_1: Gobble Gobble!!!
OMG awesome!!!