1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Fundraiser for Katrina victims

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by shakennotstirred, Aug 31, 2005.

1. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

From the Walton Sun:

Local chef begins major fundraiser for Katrina victims

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    August 31, 2005
    By Deborah Wheeler
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local chef begins major fundraiser for Katrina victims
    By DEBORAH WHEELER
    Sun Reporter

The South Walton community and surrounding areas were able to breathe a sigh of relief as Hurricane Katrina bypassed the area.
    However, as all sat glued to their TV sets watching the devastation in New Orleans and Mississippi, sadness permeated the relief that was felt. All realized that it could have hit here.
    As the American Red Cross begins its largest disaster relief effort in the United States ever, many people are searching for ways to help those in Mississippi and Louisiana.
    Grayton Beach Chef Doug Alley and his wife, Patti, owners of Fancy Tomato Catering, decided the best way to help is to make an organized effort. The Alleys are spearheading a major fund-raising drive, which they hope will raise $100,000 to be donated to the Red Cross.
    ?So many people in Mississippi and Louisiana have homes here and come here on vacation and spend money here,? said Doug. ?A lot of our customers and brides come from there. I want to give back to those who have given to us.
    ?Derek, the former chef of Basmati?s, who used to work for me, was in Gulf Port, Miss., and he is missing. But even if I didn?t know anyone over there, I would still spearhead this. It still affects you on a personal level as a human being. It?s the heart giving back to the soul. This will effect all of us for a long time to come.?
    A chef who currently works for Alley has eight people living in his home now. Six of those are refugees from Katrina?s devastation. One of those is an artist who had a gallery near the French Quarter in New Orleans. He lost everything. The artist will be donating the artwork for the benefit.
    Although still in the planning stages, Alley wants the benefit to be at Eden State Gardens.
    ?I want it to be a community thing, not a company thing or a 30A thing, but a whole community thing, neighbors reaching out to neighbors. This is not a personal self-promotion thing, but an opportunity for the whole community to come together for one cause to raise money,? he said.
    While Alley is just beginning to make phone calls around the community, he envisions the event having auctions, bands, food (which he is willing to supply) and a gala dinner.
    ?I want to recruit as many people as possible to help with this effort, whether through underwriting some aspect of it or volunteering their time. My entire staff will be donating its time,? said Alley.
    Alley hopes to have the event in two to three weeks. He asks that anyone who would like to get involved, please call him at (850) 231-0022 or Patti at (850) 685-0344.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  2. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

Great idea! We'd like to donate time at our North Georgia mountain cabin. I'll mail you a certificate for the auction.

3. Lois

Lois Beach Lover

Sorry, I meant to say I'll send a certificate to them (Fancy Tomato)

4. Lisa_at_the_beach

Lisa_at_the_beach Beach Fanatic

I just got off the phone with Patti....

Fundraiser will be at Gulf Place on September 17...

Bands...Food....Live Auction.....Kids Activities....

Noon to 10pm

They need donations for the Live Auction....Artwork...Week/Weekend at vacation rentals do well....dinners at restaurants....etc.

You can contact me at the House of Art 231.9997 or Patti at 685.0344 with your donation information.

Lisa

5. margareteileen

margareteileen Beach Comber

I just got off the phone with Lisa Hinds and I will be helping her with the auction (collecting, calling and categorizing). Call me if you need something picked up and delivered, collected or otherwise wrangled.

Also, the shelter in DeFuniak Springs need: plastic cups, plastic plates, toiletries, and towels. If you have a donation I will run it up there.

Meg Nelson
    231-7856

6. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

If it is a rental, post your rental info in the rental forum for us regular folks. ;-)

7. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

FREE Concert at Gulf Place Amphitheater
    Donations will be accepted
    Checks Payable to American Red Cross Relief Fund
    September 17, 2005
    Noon ? 10 PM
    Bands
    Dallas Griffin - Jones & Company - Under Dogs - Stealing Mona
    Cadillac Willie - Brian Grissom Band - Bill Garrett - Todd Herendeen
    Marc Harris - Dave Pretlow

Food Vendors * Water Slide * Crafts * Retail Vendors * Beer & Wine * Donation Tents * Salvation Army * Blood Mobile

Silent Auction
    Resort Quest 3/2 Night Stay *
    Water Color 2 Night Stay at Water Color Inn, Dinner for 2 at Fish Out of Water, One round of Golf for 2 at Camp Creek or Spa Treatment for 2 at the Inn Spa, Artists at Gulf Place various Artwork * Aesthetic Clinique Gift Certificate for Facial Treatments * Golf for 4 at Windswept Dunes * and More!!

There will be a Raffle for the Hurricane Evacuees
    Prizes donated by Beach Zone & Gift certificates to various Restaurants & attractions

Sponsors
    Gulf Place, Ski Productions, Miss Lucille?s, Lovelace Interiors, Advanced Fire Protection, Fancy Tomato, Century 21 Beach Realty, Premier Mortgage, Resort Quest, H & M Tent Rental, and still more to come.

For Info Call Stacey or Delores at 850-267-8458