• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
After much deliberation on whether to come down or not, we decided to come on down to SoWal and spend some of our $$ on the local economy. We just got in (Eastern Lake SD, Seagrove Beach). Just wanted to let others know what to expect if they decide to come on down for the weekend.

Suprisingly or not traffic was non existent all the way (went the 331 route once in Montgomery) and gas was no problem. The gas in Atlanta is anywhere from 2.89/gal to 4.99/gal but as we went further south it got cheaper. $3.09/gal in Montgomery and then $2.60/gal in DeFuniak. All is for low octane regular.

Some of the small non chain stations were out (bagged) but all of the chains (Texaco etc) were fine.

Little or no traffic at all coming all the way down but that might pick up later today for the weekend. We went 85S to Montgomery and then 331S to 98E onto 83 into Grayton. We did our usual "Ahhhhh" drive past Grayton State Park and saw the familiar tall pines. It is more awesome even today in the wake of the tragedy in NOLA and the Gulfcoast. The mantra on the way down and for the foreseeable future is "Be Grateful". Be grateful for what we have and do not ask for or want anything more.

Ya'll come on down or if you are coming we hope to see ya. Went to Pickles at Seaside for lunch, unpacked the car, and now we are hitting the beach. The water looks awesome and looks very calm. Pool looks refreshing too. :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

Wetwilly, Gumwoman, and the boyz. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
wetwilly said:
After much deliberation on whether to come down or not, we decided to come on down to SoWal and spend some of our $$ on the local economy. We just got in (Eastern Lake SD, Seagrove Beach). Just wanted to let others know what to expect if they decide to come on down for the weekend.

Suprisingly or not traffic was non existent all the way (went the 331 route once in Montgomery) and gas was no problem. The gas in Atlanta is anywhere from 2.89/gal to 4.99/gal but as we went further south it got cheaper. $3.09/gal in Montgomery and then $2.60/gal in DeFuniak. All is for low octane regular.

Some of the small non chain stations were out (bagged) but all of the chains (Texaco etc) were fine.

Little or no traffic at all coming all the way down but that might pick up later today for the weekend. We went 85S to Montgomery and then 331S to 98E onto 83 into Grayton. We did our usual "Ahhhhh" drive past Grayton State Park and saw the familiar tall pines. It is more awesome even today in the wake of the tragedy in NOLA and the Gulfcoast. The mantra on the way down and for the foreseeable future is "Be Grateful". Be grateful for what we have and do not ask for or want anything more.

Ya'll come on down or if you are coming we hope to see ya. Went to Pickles at Seaside for lunch, unpacked the car, and now we are hitting the beach. The water looks awesome and looks very calm. Pool looks refreshing too. :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

Wetwilly, Gumwoman, and the boyz. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Glad you had a smooth trip. I plan on going down this evening - let me know if the flies are out.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
kurt said:
Glad you had a smooth trip. I plan on going down this evening - let me know if the flies are out.

They are out today pretty bad but nothing is going to stop me/us today. What a long week and ours was nothing compared to the folks in NOLA and Ms., Al, and La. Our hearts still hurt for them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
With the wind still coming out of the NW, I fear they will be out again tonight. They were aweful yesterday - not as bad as Deer Flies, but bad enough to make me leave the beach. Maybe take two fly swatters for every person in your party.:D

WhiskeyRiver

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Bartlett, TN
My family and I will be heading down next Sunday (9/11 of all days!). Glad to get a report of the trip. We are from Memphis and will taking 78 to B'ham and then on in to SGB area. Thanks for the update. I will keep checking the message board to see how things are going in the area. We would really appreciate updates if possible.

I feel bad planning a vacation considering all of the suffering in NO and on he GC! :cool:

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
WhiskeyRiver said:
My family and I will be heading down next Sunday (9/11 of all days!). Glad to get a report of the trip. We are from Memphis and will taking 78 to B'ham and then on in to SGB area. Thanks for the update. I will keep checking the message board to see how things are going in the area. We would really appreciate updates if possible.

I feel bad planning a vacation considering all of the suffering in NO and on he GC! :cool:

We will be heading on 9/10 next week coming from Dallas, so I am very interested in how the travel is from the west into SoWal. Any info and/or tips for travel from the West is greatly appreciated.

I hate I'm missing the benefit auction this weekend but had other plans here in Dallas for Labor Day.

DreamnOfFL

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
East TN
Thanks for the Info! My hubby, myself and our two kids will be leaving early in the morning to head down there also. We were worried bout gas prices and traffic, but it sounds like this will not be as bad as what we thought.

Thanks again!
Stormie

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
kurt said:

Yes, the flies are out in force. Must be the way the wind is blowing. They seem to bother some people more than others. I am Italian and most bugs do not like me as much as my sweetie wife and kids.

Funny thing is that I had a hat that is made of natural material (straw type) and the loved that hat but it kept them off of my head. My 4 yr old was complaining about the flies on his head so I put the hat on his head and 40 flies were on the hat and it was down over his eyebrows while we were submerged in the emerald and smooth gulf water. We all got a good laugh out of that but I wish I had my camera handy. What a hoot. :rotfl: :rotfl:

WhiskeyRiver

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2005
Bartlett, TN
What is the water like? I can see from the postings that it is "rough", but has the emerald color returned? or will that take weeks?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
WhiskeyRiver said:
What is the water like? I can see from the postings that it is "rough", but has the emerald color returned? or will that take weeks?
It is almost completely emerald clear today. This picture may be a little difficult to see it, but the Gulf is clearing quickly.
P9020025.JPG