Gas and the drive down from Atlanta today

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by wetwilly, Sep 2, 2005.

1. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

After much deliberation on whether to come down or not, we decided to come on down to SoWal and spend some of our $$ on the local economy. We just got in (Eastern Lake SD, Seagrove Beach). Just wanted to let others know what to expect if they decide to come on down for the weekend.

Suprisingly or not traffic was non existent all the way (went the 331 route once in Montgomery) and gas was no problem. The gas in Atlanta is anywhere from 2.89/gal to 4.99/gal but as we went further south it got cheaper. $3.09/gal in Montgomery and then $2.60/gal in DeFuniak. All is for low octane regular.

Some of the small non chain stations were out (bagged) but all of the chains (Texaco etc) were fine.

Little or no traffic at all coming all the way down but that might pick up later today for the weekend. We went 85S to Montgomery and then 331S to 98E onto 83 into Grayton. We did our usual "Ahhhhh" drive past Grayton State Park and saw the familiar tall pines. It is more awesome even today in the wake of the tragedy in NOLA and the Gulfcoast. The mantra on the way down and for the foreseeable future is "Be Grateful". Be grateful for what we have and do not ask for or want anything more.

Ya'll come on down or if you are coming we hope to see ya. Went to Pickles at Seaside for lunch, unpacked the car, and now we are hitting the beach. The water looks awesome and looks very calm. Pool looks refreshing too. :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

Wetwilly, Gumwoman, and the boyz. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  2. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Glad you had a smooth trip. I plan on going down this evening - let me know if the flies are out.

3. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

They are out today pretty bad but nothing is going to stop me/us today. What a long week and ours was nothing compared to the folks in NOLA and Ms., Al, and La. Our hearts still hurt for them.

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

With the wind still coming out of the NW, I fear they will be out again tonight. They were aweful yesterday - not as bad as Deer Flies, but bad enough to make me leave the beach. Maybe take two fly swatters for every person in your party.:D

5. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver Beach Lover

My family and I will be heading down next Sunday (9/11 of all days!). Glad to get a report of the trip. We are from Memphis and will taking 78 to B'ham and then on in to SGB area. Thanks for the update. I will keep checking the message board to see how things are going in the area. We would really appreciate updates if possible.

I feel bad planning a vacation considering all of the suffering in NO and on he GC! :cool:

6. wintersbk

wintersbk Beach Fanatic

We will be heading on 9/10 next week coming from Dallas, so I am very interested in how the travel is from the west into SoWal. Any info and/or tips for travel from the West is greatly appreciated.

I hate I'm missing the benefit auction this weekend but had other plans here in Dallas for Labor Day.

7. DreamnOfFL

DreamnOfFL Beach Comber

Thanks for the Info! My hubby, myself and our two kids will be leaving early in the morning to head down there also. We were worried bout gas prices and traffic, but it sounds like this will not be as bad as what we thought.

Thanks again!
    Stormie

8. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Yes, the flies are out in force. Must be the way the wind is blowing. They seem to bother some people more than others. I am Italian and most bugs do not like me as much as my sweetie wife and kids.

Funny thing is that I had a hat that is made of natural material (straw type) and the loved that hat but it kept them off of my head. My 4 yr old was complaining about the flies on his head so I put the hat on his head and 40 flies were on the hat and it was down over his eyebrows while we were submerged in the emerald and smooth gulf water. We all got a good laugh out of that but I wish I had my camera handy. What a hoot. :floor: :floor:

9. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver Beach Lover

What is the water like? I can see from the postings that it is "rough", but has the emerald color returned? or will that take weeks?

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

It is almost completely emerald clear today. This picture may be a little difficult to see it, but the Gulf is clearing quickly.
    [​IMG]

11. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    My daughter said there was no traffic on her way down from ATL today. People were lined up for gas in GA, but not in AL. She joked that they probably haven't heard about the gas shortage rumor in AL since they don't have cable or cell phone signals everywhere in the state (true - I can't get a cell phone signal between Troy and Defuniak Springs).

The flies are awful. Bugs don't usually "bug" me, but these are attacking me. Their bites really sting, but I really don't want to get cancer from DEET. So I'm staying indoors or deep in the pool. I've never experienced this here - we've been coming down for Labor Day since 1999.

12. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

We drove back home yesterday to Indy via Atlanta and paid about $3 a gallon for gas and didn't have too much trouble finding it. Only one or two stations on the way to Atlanta were out, so we weren't inconvenienced that much. The traffic was fine but I suppose that's because most people drove home on Monday, not Tuesday.

We didn't have too much of a chance to swim--too much work to do on the condo--but the times we did go to the beach were just before sunset. I highly recommend a sunset swim! The sun is so huge and spectacular looking and the way that light shines on the water is breathtaking. And there aren't many people in the water, either, at that time of day. We weren't bothered by the flies then, though they were pretty fierce at the pool around 7:30 - 8:00 pm. Coming in for the nighttime feed, I guess. :twisted:

I thought the water was a perfect temperature. Very refreshing! Clear, as well. The sandbars are a funny thing. I was in the water up to my neck, fairly far out from the shoreline, looking towards the setting sun. A man was in the water with his dog about 100 yards down from me, parallel to me. He was on a sandbar and the water was only up to his calves. I was looking straight at him and could have sworn he was walking on water, if I didn't know better. Those sandbars are huge since the hurricane.

13. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

Wet Willy....... have a wonderful and relaxing trip!!! I am so wishing I was there too!!!!!!! ENJOY :clap_1: