• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The Gulf of Mexico along the beaches of Destin & SoWal is so clear because no large, sediment-heavy rivers directly influence the waters. The water coming out of the Apalachicola River, the primary source of our Gulf water, is filtered through the estuary of Apalachicola Bay. While passing through this bay and out past the barrier islands in that area, the Gulf water deposits most of the silt and other sediments, that for example, make the Atlantic less translucent. The Gulf water along the beaches of Destin & SoWal appears aqua green because of the purity and hence crystal clarity of the water. The shallowness of the Gulf and the high reflectivity of light off our sugar-white sands also help to create our beautiful translucent water.

The sand on Destin & South Walton's beaches is extremely fine. This is due to the enormous amount of travel the sand went through to reach its destination. The sand along Beaches of Destin & SoWal was once part of the southern Appalachian Mountains. Over millions of years, as the mountains weathered, particles of quartz were washed into riverbeds and transported by the river to the ocean. The flow and ebb of the water over this long distance broke down the particles and buffed the edges making them as fine as sugar when they finally rested along the shore in the area.​

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Doesn't look like things are slowing down.

Areas 17 & 18 DSF: Sold 01/01/04-03/28/04
Total # of Sales 106
Lowest Price Listing $125,000
Highest Price Listing $3,650,000
Average Price $830,055
Ave Price/sq ft $376.20
Avg. Days on Market 171

Areas 17 & 18 DSF: Sold 01/01/05-03/28/05
Total # of Sales 107
Lowest Price Listing $217,000
Highest Price Listing $5,200,000
Average Price $1,048,975
Ave Price/sq ft $506.64
Avg. Days on Market 102

Areas 17 & 18 Condos: Sold 01/01/04-03/28/04
Total # of Sales 78
Lowest Price Listing $119,000
Highest Price Listing $3,000,000
Average Price $696,019
Ave Price/sq ft $446.63
Avg. Days on Market 130

Areas 17 & 18 Condos: Sold 01/01/05-03/28/05
Total # of Sales 82
Lowest Price Listing $213,000
Highest Price Listing $2,950,000
Average Price $913,319
Ave Price/sq ft $622.29
Avg. Days on Market 114

Areas 17 & 18 Res Land: Sold 01/01/04-03/28/04
Total # of Sales 205
Lowest Price Listing $49,900
Highest Price Listing $6,300,00
Average Price $428,600
Avg. Days on Market 160

Areas 17 & 18 Res Land: Sold 01/01/05-03/28/05
Total # of Sales 163
Lowest Price Listing $30,000
Highest Price Listing $18,000,000
Average Price $709,590
Avg. Days on Market 69

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Good Question. I think you're wanting to know how many were available versus how many sold. Am I right?

Yes, can run the number of units on the market during that period but that won't give us what we need because active listings will be on the market for 69-171 days so active listings during the same time frame will show up sold or expired at a later date. The sold ones were actually active over the previous 69-171 days.

Also, expired listings won't give us that data because some people could list for 2 weeks and some for 3 months. The ones for 2 weeks will show expired 6 times over the 3 months so we'd get duplications of those numbers. Will need to think on that one. If you're looking for percent sold, don't know. Can run the percentage of asking price that they actually sold for. The ballpark average was that DSF's sold for about 5.2% less than asking price.

In terms of water clarity, are the barrier islands any better? What about places such as St George Island, Cape San Blas, Dog Island? (I notice St George allows dogs at the Franklin County beaches.)

I know that SoWal and Denver, Colorado could not be more different, but in terms of real estate, I see similarities. When prices began rising about ten years ago, we waited for the bubble to burst. And waited. And waited. Houses in our old, established neighborhood are now going for three, four and five hundred dollars a square foot.

But I think the similarities only go so far...the beach will likely be more popular than the mountains for all the aging Boomers who seek retirement spots.
And the changes we've observed over occured over a longer period of time.

I think we might well be priced out of SoWalton. We never wanted a trophy home, but now I'm not sure if we could even afford a condo.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Cork On the Ocean said:
Good Question. I think you're wanting to know how many were available versus how many sold. Am I right?

Yes, can run the number of units on the market during that period but that won't give us what we need because active listings will be on the market for 69-171 days so active listings during the same time frame will show up sold or expired at a later date. The sold ones were actually active over the previous 69-171 days.

Also, expired listings won't give us that data because some people could list for 2 weeks and some for 3 months. The ones for 2 weeks will show expired 6 times over the 3 months so we'd get duplications of those numbers. Will need to think on that one. If you're looking for percent sold, don't know. Can run the percentage of asking price that they actually sold for. The ballpark average was that DSF's sold for about 5.2% less than asking price.
Yes, that's what I'm wondering -- how many sold vs. available in the same time frame.

I realize the number of active listings wouldn't necessarily match up to the sold pool, it still would be interesting to know the numbers active for each type vs. the same period the prior year, and I would think that would be easier to identify than trying to exactly match things up, as you point out. Just curious.