• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
Hi Sowal.com- I came on here from a link someone sent me about the talk about the septic tanks on the beach which really won't be a problem anymore beecause they will be protected from high water by this geotubes system. wanted to share some photos that some of my neighbors are putting in a t gulf trace. I know a lot of other owners are also going to do the same thing all along the beaches and they have been proven to work just fine in other places. This product is a series of textile bags that can be filled with water and then any color sand for a permanent application and covered with 3 feet of sand to prevent erosion of the dune and provide a restored dune. The sand can be cheaper dirt like seen in the photos cause it isn't going to be spread by waves or anything else. This method is really infailable. Thge Dep doesn't stop it like some other things like boulders or seawalls.

Picture033.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Are you sure that is not a future artificial reef? Or, perhaps a dump truck of dirty sand surrounded by synthetic material just waiting to be punctured by a floating walkover? If I were a betting man, and I am not, I would put a wager out that I will see these things swept out to see or at least onto the beach, where no one will be able to drag it back before unloading all of the dirt from it, or in time before sand covers it up. Good Luck!

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
I'm wondering how long it would take to decompose and release the dirt held within. It doesn't look likely to last more than a few years...

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Have to wonder how well this big raft would hold up to a sharp piece of rogue walkover lumber adrift in a storm or a piece of rusty rebar. I have a vision of it floating in a stormy Gulf or on Western Lake, leaking its "cargo" like some kind of hazmat jellyfish. I'm not at all confident.

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
As I noted over in the emergency meeting thread, I have no real knowledge of this system and therefore have no opinion for or against it. I am happy new potential solutions are being looked at by the county and local residents. I do know that both the DEP and U.S Fish and Wildlife say the systems do not work. The county asked the DEP about using it and were told no.

Attached is a report the DEP contracted on the protect tube in Gulf County.

Notes:
Protect tubes are designed for 5 to 10 year storms not hurricanes

At the site in Gulf County, erosion was about the same as adjacent unprotected properties.

At the site, after hurricane Ivan flanks were installed on either end and
they resulted in additional erosion

At the site, erosion was induced landward of the structure (lee side) and
a trench under the homes was created. Since this report was filed a retaining wall has been constructed landward of the protect tube.

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
The county is not too good about enforcing their own rules and regulations. They often ignore DEP and U.S. Fish and Wildlife requirements. Enforcement is generally complaint driven. If no one complains nothing happens. They say it's easier to ask for forgiveness and than permission.

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
Donna said:
Have to wonder how well this big raft would hold up to a sharp piece of rogue walkover lumber adrift in a storm or a piece of rusty rebar. I have a vision of it floating in a stormy Gulf or on Western Lake, leaking its "cargo" like some kind of hazmat jellyfish. I'm not at all confident.

Took the words right out of my head, right on down to 'hazmat jellyfish'.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I am no scientist, but I know that there is no way that this geo (makes it sound natural doesn't it?) tube will be there after the next major storm. It will go just prior to the house. My question is, how can these things be labeled so that we can later identify the owner and make them clean up there poop?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
There's a new book out...."Surrounded by Idiots"....haven't read it yet, but somehow I think there will be a VOL. 2!