George Wallace Smith prefiles for BCC District 5

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by wrobert, Apr 12, 2008.

1. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

I have absolutely no idea who this person is. Anyone want to fill me in, I would appreciate it. The address I have is in the Mack Bayou area.

2. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Now this is strange. The guy lives in a million dollar home yet it is not homesteaded to lock the values. And it has been owned since before the boom.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

With a name like that, he is probably from Alabama. I wonder if that is just a property he owns or if it is his his primary residence. I thought the laws required one's primary residence to be in the district for which they are running. Now if you could find him having a homesteaded property outside district 5, you might have some really good scoop.

4. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

It appears he just registered to vote using that address back in 2006. Maybe he just retired here. I imagine I will run into him somewhere in the near future.

5. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    I imagine you're gonna go looking for him:D

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

He may not even be aware of the homestead discount or SOH. I wonder if he used a Realtor.

7. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Good lord, I would hope he's aware of at least that much if he plans to run for BCC...:shock:

8. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

That is true. I remember expressing concern to Pilcher one time about how some realtors would tell prospective buyers what current taxes were when selling a home, instead of what they would be after the sale caused the readjustment. It was amazing to me the number of people moving into the area that did not do the research to find out what their tax bill would likely be and what they needed to do to control it. I still come across people all the time that qualify, but have never filed for homestead.

BTW, I think new legislation made disclosure of taxes a requirement now or something along those lines. I am sure I will know in a few.

9. WileCoyote

WileCoyote Beach Lover

I believe he is a Realtor.

10. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

You know I was at a BCC meeting months back where a lady, head of some large condo association stood up, and publicly stated that they were urging non-residents to register to vote in Walton County so that they would have a voice. Registering to vote is a bit easier than getting homestead exemption, and as long as you only vote in one place, while I still think it is illegal, not prosecuted nearly as much.

On another note, I hear that Pilcher is actively going after homestead fraud. Personally, I would be issuing press releases as I caught the scoundrels that forced the rest of us to pay higher taxes. But again, it shows that people are watching.

11. DuneLaker

DuneLaker Beach Fanatic

You don't have to live in the district until you are elected. We have a commissioner right now that didn't live in the district when he filed.

12. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

True. You do not even have to live in the county if you are running for Sheriff.

13. Dolemite

Dolemite Beach Crab

George Wallace "Wally" Smith Jr. is the former Walton County Commissioner District 5 candidate. The 425 Turquoise Beach Drive address is owned by his parents, George Wallace Smith Sr. and Martha Ann Smith. The family is from Douglasville, GA (Douglas County) and they own several properties there.

14. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I wish he would be responsible and take his signs down

15. Dolemite

Dolemite Beach Crab

The contact information for George Wallace Smith Jr. - a.k.a. Wally Smith - is:
    Cell: 850-699-7543 * Email: georgewallace56@aol.com * 425 Turquoise Beach Drive Santa Rosa Beach FL 32459

16. Dolemite

Dolemite Beach Crab

And Mr. Smith's home phone number is: 850-267-3543