• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Hi:

The landscape in our community is primary native plants with mulch (no grass) covering the ground. It looks lovely for sure (and we feel good about preserving the natural environment) and my only concern is that there are these aggressive thorny vines that grow in the native brush. They can wind themselves around the bushes and kill them. So far, every time we visit I take my garden shears and cut them down, but I'd like to find a more permanent solution so I can spend those few hours of my vacation doing something else.

Can anyone tell me what these vines are and how to get rid of them permanently (or at least nearly permanently)?

Thanks.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I've got a couple of varieties. The real thin ones are the toughest to weed out. Got to get them by the roots. I leave them usually as I haven't seen them kill anything.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
They are very aggressive, and you should know that by simply cutting them, you are making them come back stronger. Kurt has the right idea -- get the entire root. If we are thinking of the same plant, you can eat the new growth at the tips of the plants. They make great salad additions. I'm not kidding. If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
The vines seem to wind around the trees and shrubs and it looks like they crowd out the leaves on the branches (the bushes and trees without the vines on them seem more lush but I'll take a more careful look next time I'm there). We have some very nice native trees and bushes and I'd like to see them stay healthy and grow big over time. The vines are also prickly along the paths and in the little yard so it's good to get rid of them so people who are not familiar with the thorny vines and children don't get scratched or step on them when barefoot. So, I'm pretty motivated to get rid of them, even if it means spending 2-3 hours every few months cutting them down. I'll see how hard it is to get to the roots.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula, try probing around at the roots with a pitch fork to loosen the soil so that you can get to the roots. They have a little balloon in the root which helps to anchor them. They will take over if you let them.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Thanks for the advice, Kurt and Smiling Joe. I'll try the root approach when I have more time to spend on them, perhaps during a November trip when the weather is a bit cooler and it's quieter.

As for eating the tips of these plants, I'm not sure I'll give that a try in case we're not talking about the same plant! Although dandelion greens are a safe bet (but fortunately we don't have those at our place in Florida).

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I don't think I'd try eating them either. With my luck, I'd be munching on a nice, juicy poison ivy salad.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
As for eating the tips of these plants, I'm not sure I'll give that a try in case we're not talking about the same plant! Although dandelion greens are a safe bet (but fortunately we don't have those at our place in Florida).

Probably not a good idea to eat them if you have any question, especially if your neighbor is very loose with the RoundUp. I would hate for you to be thinking your Poison Oak is edible -- the thought of you eating a toxic plant is not pleasant. :blink: