Glucosamine and Chondroitin??

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Lynnie, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

For a bad canine joint, does this combination really work? Sweet Pea stretches before our walks and that helps, but she is getting crickety in colder weather.....it's just one joint that appears to have an old wound scar.

I don't like seeing her in pain :sosad:

If you have tried this, please let me know how it worked for your pooch! Thank you in advance!

2. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

Oh most definitely. My little John had terrible back pain, arthritis, and the vet prescribed the combination you listed. It does take about 4 - 6 weeks before you notice any relief. But it really helped him. He almost became puppy-like. Hopping and scampering around.

We just used a human store brand. Your vet will advise you on the dosage. There are some guidelines you should follow but i don't remember what they were.

good luck!

3. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

I buy our dog's joint tablets on Buy Discount Vitamins, Supplements, Low Carb and More at www.Vitacost.com, and they do seem to work. If the problem is severe, you can speak with your vet about Adequan injections. Originally developed for horses, Adequan is a very concentrated glucosamine injected at the site, and if I remember correctly, can actually grow cartilage. Treatment is more frequent at first, maybe once or twice weekly for a couple of weeks, then tapering off to about once a month.

I've also found a natural pain reliever called DGP (for Dog Gone Pain) that seems to work well for her, too, and does not have the implications for liver damage that some of the presciption stuff does. Check Amazon for best price.

4. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

wow, i kinda want some of this for myself. :cool:

5. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

I've heard this combo mentioned for people too. Thanks for bringing this up as i hadn't thought about it for my Rott. He squeals occasionally too, and it happens more when the weather is cold. : (

6. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

OK, I will try it for her. I could say the phrase that gets her excited for a walk, but then that would be torture because we can't possibly take ten walks/day. I've been trying to teach her the phrase, "You gotta stretch," every time she stands up. And, she's starting to get it, especially when I try to show her........then, I get sloppy kisses and she just wants to play, hobbling around!

7. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

I'm just picturing this... :rolling: :wave:

8. croixbum

croixbum Banned

I started taking FlexiCose about 6 months ago, it is a liquid glucosamine that is supposed to work faster. They advertise use for pets, I am better, cant say that this stuff actually helped but I know that something did. This is the website, they process the orders quickly, usually have it in 2 days.

Liquid Glucosamine Arthritis, Liquid Glucosamine Arthritis Stiff Joints - Flexicose Liquid Glucosamine Safe Arthritis Pain Relief For People Pets Dogs Cats

9. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

:floor:I do yoga, Sweet Pea does doga.......at least teaching her to doga on command.....we'll see how this goes. I just got in and she hobbled while I did a stretch, then she went to bed. :lol:

Thank you, croixbum! I think liquid will be easier. I will try it. ;-)

10. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

my Vet recommends it, it is in my dog's food. Much easier that way.

11. kris1075

kris1075 Beach Comber

My girl, Bella, takes a half a Dermaxx a day, and WOW what a difference!

12. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Is that prescription?

13. Sarah Moss

Sarah Moss Beach Lover

Chondra Flex Dog Chews

My dalmatian started slowing down (just a little) and her knees began creaking around 10 or 11 years old. Dr. Kempa of Best Friends Vetinary in Freeport suggested Chondro-Flex DS. The great thing about these are that they are soft chew treats and all dogs seem to love them. We found it much more convenient than trying to get them to eat pills every day. As far as results, I don't hear her knees creak anymore and soon after we started using them she was running around like a puppy again! She's 13 now, still loving life and I truly believe it is because of her yummy medicine! Below is a link to the product. We purchase a tub half this size (120 chews) for about $35 from Dr. Kempa. For 70ish pounds, we give 2 per day so a tub lasts 2 months. I highly recommend this product!!

Vitality Vet for Dogs & Cats - Chondro Flex DS (240 Chews)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I was thinking that glucosamine came from sources like red meat and bones, and since I could use a little joint lubrication myself, I just googled these. I found an interesting quick read at Sources of Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Here is an exert: "Don't be fooled by the price or size of the pills because what counts is quality not quantity. Be an informed consumer and research the brand of chondroitin or glucosamine your interested in. This quick research can make a world of a difference in terms of decreasing your joint pain and discomfort."

By the way, in the two articles I read, there is conflicting information, so be sure to read several sources to see if you can get the real scoop.

From Glucosamine/Chondroitin: Introduction :
    "There are no food sources of glucosamine. The only natural sources are in your body and in chitin (the exoskeleton of shellfish -- crab, lobster, shrimp, and so on)."

This could be important (if true) if you are allergic to shellfish and the glucosamine label says it comes from natural sources.

15. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Thank you! I have a lot of research to do!

Sweet Pea loves digging around in the trash for shrimp and lobster shells; this might be the ticket! :D

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

my dogs like to eat raw, live crabs, and they love to eat shrimp shells.

17. KISH7374

KISH7374 Beach Fanatic

I have been called a dog numerous times(ha-ha) and I take the Move Freely pills. they seem to work for me. Due to the extensive amount of weight lifting, the knees and elbows get sore but these pills help.

18. kris1075

kris1075 Beach Comber

It is. It's about $100 for a 3 months, a bit much, but she feels so much better. It's worth it!

19. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

We had people and dogs on glucosamine for years - dunno how much it helps, but it doesn't hurt.

20. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Deramaxx is a NSAID, not a joint supplement. It is awesome for joint pain and doesn't have as many bad side effects of other pain relievers. Our old blue heeler was on it for the last 3 years of his life, and would not have been able to get up without it. He was beyond the help of gluc/chondroitin therapy, and just needed good pain relief.