• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN
Ok, I know nothing about this place. After limited research, I am still looking for answers from all you guys that are in the know. We are planning a shell island trip with a 3.5 yr old and would like to know who is the best "retailer" to use to get over there? I want to collect a ton of shells for my little girl but don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of $$ to do it.

Thanks ahead of time for your answers,

PC

FLFSLP

Beach Crab
Jun 30, 2011
Ashley Gorman in PCB

My parents and I took the Ashley Gorman out of PCB. Adults were $22, kids $10.50. Tickets include a hot dog chips and drink. The crew were great with the kids on our cruise. They have crab traps that they go and check then teach the kids about the crabs and fish they've caught; all the kids get to hold them safely for up close viewing if requested. Total time was three hours (1 to get there, 1 on the island and 1 to get back). We saw tons of dolphins, too! Recommend them highly! All of us had a blast!

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
If you want a ton of shells, go on further to Indian Pass, or Apalachicola. You have to wear shoes on the beach over there! We have a ledge just out from the beach that catches most of the shells, but there it's diminished. Big shells too!

When Mom was young, she liked to show off her beautiful face, body and tan, so when we were in PCB, we always went to Shell Island. As a kid, it was fun for a little while. But it was always so hot that I got nauseated. She was always into getting as many shells as possible. Of course, many of them had living creatures in them, so on the drive back to Atlanta, the interior of the car really smelled nasty.:lol:

Now with bottled water available, I'd think kids would love having contests to see who found the most shells.

cpete

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Austin, Tx
If want rent a pontoon and stay the day. We have taken kids ages 4 to 8 many times. I prefer using these guys. http://www.shellislandtours.com/ There boats are nicer and they take time to give proper instruction. Just be sure to call 2 or 3 days in advance. Be sure to spend some time on the bay side as well. Lots of hermit crabs and small fish for the kids to have fun with. Also if you are sitting in the water on the bay side try sticking your hands about 6 inches in the sand you can bring up tons of small intact sand dollars.