• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
By ELLA CARO

Golf carts cannot legally be driven on public roads or bike paths in Walton County, according to a spokesman for the Walton County Sheriff's Office traffic division.?Sgt. Joe Preston said drivers apprehended disobeying this law will be given "moving violation" citations with a fine of $115.50.? He said golf carts cannot be registered or licensed, and may only be used on private roads.

He explained the difference between golf carts and low speed vehicles. The latter, when properly outfitted and insured, may be licensed and driven on public roads, by licensed drivers, where posted speed limits are 35 miles per hour or less. The one exception for golf carts, Preston said, is when the cart is included in a permitted parade like the Fourth of July parade on CR-30A.

The increase in golf carts on public roads is becoming a serious problem in south Walton, Preston said, and is aggravated by real estate developers using them as promotional features for property sales and rentals. Advertising that says "five minutes from the beach by golf cart," and "free golf carts with property purchase" is being used to bolster sales. The sheriff's department has already warned two local developers about their misleading ads, and is preparing to crack down on more.

Golf carts seen parked at beach accesses or other parking lots will be issued a warning. Carts driven within subdivisions which have private roads must have a driver at least 14 years old.

A spokesman for the South Walton Community Council (SWCC) said their growth management committee has made a project of ensuring that golf carts are used safely and within the restrictions of state statutes. The growing number of golf carts on public roads, especially those driven by children, is fast becoming a safety hazard, according to SWCC.

Visitors to the area have complained there isn't enough public education on the subject. SWCC members expressed hopes that cooperation among the sheriff's office, the media, the South Walton Tourist Development Council and the SWCC growth management committee will help prevent accidents involving golf carts and will keep traffic moving on public roads.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
John R said:
i'm pretty sure golf carts are not legal on the roads in atlanta, birmingham, houston, nashville, memphis, juneau, trenton, columbus, bolling green, greensboro, etc, etc

How did Bowling Green make the cut??:dunno: :rotfl: I love it!

Golf carts may be appropriate in a very few situations. Like for old people on the golf course. Maybe for older people living in a golf community. If I am biking or walking on 30-A, I don't want to see a golf cart. That is why I visit the SoWal area and not a golf/beach resort.

I live in non-golfing subdivision here, but there is one golf cart in my neighborhood and I am OK with it- here is why. The driver is about 20 years old and has Down's Syndrome. He lives on a small cul-de-sac, and spends hours driving his golf cart slowly around the circle, with his radio on the seat next to him, bothering no one and not disrupting any traffic or pedestrians. Smiling ear to ear. This golf cart TRULY has a purpose and is useful- he loves it more than anything. It makes me smile to see him enjoying himself so much.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Wait...what was that sound? Oh, it was the sound of Whitey's heart breaking. :sosad:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Kimmifunn said:
Wait...what was that sound? Oh, it was the sound of Whitey's heart breaking. :sosad:

OK you have lost me here. Is she a sucker for a sweet golf cart story?:dunno:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
jdarg said:
OK you have lost me here. Is she a sucker for a sweet golf cart story?:dunno:
Whitey loves riding golf carts. Jfunn's mom has one and Whitey always wants to ride it. When I first met Jfunn she was traveling via golf cart! :lolabove:

bluemtnfriend

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2005
Tennessee
I was backing out of Goatfeathers SEafood Market Saturday, trying to be very mindful on 30A traffic both ways when two young boys about 10 or 12 years old flew past my rear bumper in a golf cart. I shook all the way back to our condo. I would have stopped the little boogers and given them a talking to but they were long gone.

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
:sosad:

So can they still be used in the parades? If not, I will boycott SoWal 4ever.