• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melissaandgreg

Beach Crab
Jun 18, 2009
I read that sherman inlet is a good place for shelling. (Located in Pensacola). Does anyone know if this is accurate? And does anyone know of any other good places to shell in Destin, Ft Walton, 30A area, or Pensacola? Thanks Melissa

beckster

Beach Comber
Jun 18, 2005
I read that sherman inlet is a good place for shelling. (Located in Pensacola). Does anyone know if this is accurate? And does anyone know of any other good places to shell in Destin, Ft Walton, 30A area, or Pensacola? Thanks Melissa

Hi,

We were there last week, stayed in Seaside. I rarely saw any shells on the beach where we stayed.

beckster

Beach Comber
Jun 18, 2005

ok, i suck at posting info on here....sorry.

as i was saying.....we found lots of big sand dollars and saw different varieties of starfish which we took underwater pictures of, but left in the water as they were alive. you'll see hermit crabs, sea urchins, tiny fish, sting rays...it's like an aquarium and worth the price of the boat rental.

i would imagine after a big storm the shells are more plentiful, but i rarely saw them on the beach.

good luck.

b.
ok, now i'm really done.

:D

beckster

Beach Comber
Jun 18, 2005
ok, i suck at posting info on here....sorry.

as i was saying.....we found lots of big sand dollars and saw different varieties of starfish which we took underwater pictures of, but left in the water as they were alive. you'll see hermit crabs, sea urchins, tiny fish, sting rays...it's like an aquarium and worth the price of the boat rental.

i would imagine after a big storm the shells are more plentiful, but i rarely saw them on the beach.

good luck.

b.
ok, now i'm really done.

:D

none of this makes sense.....i think part of the message is missing that said we rented a pontoon boat in panama beach and took it to the sandbar at shell island.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
This may be out of your range...but there is wonderful shelling on Shell Island. This protected island can be accessed on a pontoon boat departing from St. Andrews State Park. It is a short ride over to the island. The island can only be accessed by boat so there are no as many shell harvesters working the island. If you can plan you trip to get there around low tide timeThis pretty little barrier island is uninhabitated and like I said only reached by boat. You may also be able o find someone out of the PC Marina to ride you over and bring you back...There is a small sheltered cove where people meet to swim and listen to music..It is definetiley protected from the tourista's If you want more information, call the park Ranger at St. Andrews. Some people use to run pontoon trips that went out and the dophins would swim alongside. I do not live there and am no able to visit one once a year. The dophin runs may no longer be allowed

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
The trick is to either hit the beaches a day or so after a good storm, which we haven't had for weeks, or to get away from people.
If you're in the P'cola area, I've had great success going out onto Pensacola Island and then as far West as you can. Park, and start walking West. It will usually take a good mile to start leaving all the other walkers behind and the quantity of shells picks up.
Another thing that works great is to snorkel the first ten feet of the water at the surf line. Shells make it nearly all the way in and then just roll around until they are destroyed.

It's taken a few years, but I have quite a nice collection. Go into my user info and you'll find a gallery of shell pictures. Like these...

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
There's a ridge just past the second sand bar that catches most of the good shells, but if you travel east toward Apalachicola the ridge disappears and there are a lot of large shells.

melissaandgreg

Beach Crab
Jun 18, 2009
Anthony,
Thank you so much! I appreciate all the helpful info. I never really thought I would find any shells on the panhandle; I had given up. But last year, there was a huge amount of shells onshore in Destin. It was after a big storm, and it was crazy! The shells were all buried in this huge wall of sand. We spoke to a couple who said they'd been vacationing in Destin for 18 years and never found any shells....anyway, it renewed my love of shelling, so I'm trying to find some good places...I think what happened last year in Destin was a fluke and probably wont happen again. I'm not familiar with the location where you live...how far is Hogtown Bayou from Pensacola? Thanks again, and I love all your shell pictures..very impressive collection! Melissa