1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Take-Out Food on 30A?

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by Paula, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Hi:

We'll be visiting SoWal with extended family during Christmas/NY vacation. Does anyone have suggestions for good take-out. We especially like the not-too-expensive kind. Here's what I have so far:

Publix has good take-out from what I hear (any specific recommendations? I personally haven't tried their take-out yet)
    We like Angelina's take-out (one order of their pasta is more than enough for two people)
    I've heard about Bruno's pizza for delivery but haven't tried it.
    Is Cowgirl kitchen still around?
    We've had take-out from the Red Bar as well which was good but it tastes better there because we have to drive about 10 miles to get to the Red Bar.

We're at Seacrest Beach so we're particularly interested in that part of SoWal (Seaside - Rosemary Beach).

Thanks.

2. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    Shades at the Loop has pretty good takeout. We tried them for the first time in October. Your little ones could easily share an entree. I know some prefer Shades in Seaside but we enjoyed the food at the Loop location.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Cowgirl Kitchen is open. The Summer Kitchen/Blue By Night in Rosemary Beach is excellent. I hear the new Seacrest Cafe at the Village Of South Walton is good. Don't forget Cocoon's.

If you're going to go to Publix, might as well buy something easy to fix yourself. They will also steam some seafood for you, as will the Seafood Markets.

I like to pick up Sushi at the 331.

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Paula...I love the casseroles at the Cowgirl Kitchen...especially the Mexican Lasagna. I bought a small one when down there and yummy! The CG was started by a gal (Cathy?) from Dallas...she owned The Short Stop (casseroles, sandwiches, baked goods) here and brought many of those recipes with her to the beach. In fact, HMM and I had one of those lasagnas last week!

5. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Thanks much and please keep the ideas coming. I loved the Oyster Po' Boy I had at Shades by the Loop and I'm sure we'll go back there in December. I (and others we're travelling with) like to cook, but since there will be 8 of us, we'd like to avoid spending too much time cooking, especially dinners. I also don't want us to spend all of our $ on food. So, take out with drinks/desserts at home seems to be a good compromise.

Fonville Press, the Internet cafe at Alys Beach, has wonderful bread, by the way. They sell it frozen. So, my plan would be to get several loaves when we arrive and and defrost as we need them thoughout our stay.

6. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Hey Paula....HMM ordered up some Zingerman's today for Thanksgiving! A sweet potato pecan pie, a coffee cake and a brownie sampler!!! He emailed this to me from his office and then had the nerve to say I might want to add a couple more laps around the neighborhood this week! But, I guess he is right!!!

7. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Sueshore:

Just one slice of that coffee cake will cost a few laps around the office! We like our coffee cake toasted with butter in the morning after it has been around a few days. We'll be sending Zingerman's coffee cakes and other things for holiday presents this year as usual. Too bad they can't mail you one of their great deli sandwiches...

Zingerman's is a great place to support, too, because their two owners (Ari and Paul) give a LOT of money to charity and other community causes. They started Food Gatherers in our town -- a service that goes to restaurants around town daily to take some of their day-old breads, etc., and deliver it to homeless shelters and other similar types of places. The owners are two very nice guys who are making a living doing what they truly love and appreciating the community in which they do it. They also put one of their bakeries in the Detroit area to help the Detroit employment as well.

All this makes their wonderful food taste even better, doesn't it?!?!

Happy Thanksgiving.

8. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

Spicy Noodle pizza in Inlet Beach is certainly better than Bruno's and as good as Angelinas. They have pasta dishes that will feed two as well.

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I second that.

10. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    At Publix pick up salad greens and some EVOO and a lemon for a quicky salad dressing. Get steamed shrimp from Goatfeathers. That's my luxury meal since we can't get good seafood where we live unless you spend a kajillion dollars at an expensive restaurant in ATL - not as good as the simplicity of fresh steamed shrimp IMHO.

11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Seagrove Market does takeout, too. My favorite grilled grouper sandwich on 30a. Good sushi at Old Florida. Steamed shrimp with Old Bay spice from Goatfeathers II. I second the Cocoon's recommendation - as far as I know it is now the only BBQ available on the east end of 30A since Carpenter's Mkt in Rosemary closed.

12. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Thanks for the reminder. We tried Spicy Noodle when we were there in August and liked it. At the time we thought, "we should get take-out from here." And it's about as close to us as Seagrove.

13. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

We like Bruno's pizza a lot---wish we had one here, in fact. Their Greek salad is enough for two, easily and quite tasty. All the pizzas are good. They also deliver, but sometimes hours are limited during off-season.

D&K Cafe at Grayton will sell their gumbo, which is the best seafood gumbo that I've ever had. I have schlepped over there with a big kitchen pot a few times when we were expecting company. Call ahead and Doug will tell you if they have enough to spare. (They don't take credit cards or out-of-town checks, though.)

We are also guilty of buying a bucket of KFC fried chicken (none of their side dish action) and loading it onto a pretty platter at the house. Coupled with corn on the cob, watermelon slices, and a couple of salads from Publix or Modica, it makes a fine and easy meal. There is a KFC in Freeport, if you're traveling on Hwy. 331, and several along U.S. 98 in South Walton.

14. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

We bought the family fried chicken dinner from Publix and it was very good--I think it was ten pieces in total, plus King's Hawaiian rolls, and 2 sides. We got the cole slaw and red potato salad. The fried chicken was good cold, too. It was just my husband and me at the beach and we got 2 dinners and two lunches out of that chicken bucket! Not bad. Publix also does a very good job with their sub sandwiches, especially the Cuban.

15. STL Don

STL Don Beach Fanatic

Different strokes for different folks, but I had not had Bruno's until recently and my ranking is: 1. Bruno's 2. Spicy Noodle 3. Angelina's

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Where? I know there is a Taco Bell/KFC near Winn Dixie in Sandestin, but that is the only one which I have seen around here. Maybe there is one in Defuniak Springs?

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

To me, a restaurant is no better than its staff and the manner in which a customer is treated. I gave Bruno's a couple of chances too many, and they failed miserably 100%.

18. Beach Runner

Gosh, they're always so nice to us at Bruno's. Maybe because I call in so often that they recognize my voice? I likes me my healthy food, but sometimes I just want a calorific pizza with ingredients that I can't get at home. Although I am PO'd that they have replaced the Roma tomatoes with cherry tomatoes - bad move.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  19. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Believe me, the ingredients at Bruno's can be purchase elsewhere, and I can cook a pretty good pizza.

However, if you are searching for pizza, perhaps you should try Amore in Gulf Place, located above the business, formerly known as Abbott.

20. Beach Runner

I'm a great cook, but not a baker. The pre-made crusts at the grocery store don't cut it with me. I also don't like the pre-cooked chicken strips at the grocery store. Any suggestions?

K - we'll try Amore, although it's more than 1/2 mile from my house.