• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Hi:

We'll be visiting SoWal with extended family during Christmas/NY vacation. Does anyone have suggestions for good take-out. We especially like the not-too-expensive kind. Here's what I have so far:

Publix has good take-out from what I hear (any specific recommendations? I personally haven't tried their take-out yet)
We like Angelina's take-out (one order of their pasta is more than enough for two people)
I've heard about Bruno's pizza for delivery but haven't tried it.
Is Cowgirl kitchen still around?
We've had take-out from the Red Bar as well which was good but it tastes better there because we have to drive about 10 miles to get to the Red Bar.

We're at Seacrest Beach so we're particularly interested in that part of SoWal (Seaside - Rosemary Beach).

Thanks.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Paula said:
Hi:

We'll be visiting SoWal with extended family during Christmas/NY vacation. Does anyone have suggestions for good take-out. We especially like the not-too-expensive kind. Here's what I have so far:

Publix has good take-out from what I hear (any specific recommendations? I personally haven't tried their take-out yet)
We like Angelina's take-out (one order of their pasta is more than enough for two people)
We've had take-out from the Red Bar as well which was good but it tastes better there because we have to drive about 10 miles to get to the Red Bar.

We're at Seacrest Beach so we're particularly interested in that part of SoWal (Seaside - Rosemary Beach).

Thanks.

Shades at the Loop has pretty good takeout. We tried them for the first time in October. Your little ones could easily share an entree. I know some prefer Shades in Seaside but we enjoyed the food at the Loop location.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Cowgirl Kitchen is open. The Summer Kitchen/Blue By Night in Rosemary Beach is excellent. I hear the new Seacrest Cafe at the Village Of South Walton is good. Don't forget Cocoon's.

If you're going to go to Publix, might as well buy something easy to fix yourself. They will also steam some seafood for you, as will the Seafood Markets.

I like to pick up Sushi at the 331.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Paula...I love the casseroles at the Cowgirl Kitchen...especially the Mexican Lasagna. I bought a small one when down there and yummy! The CG was started by a gal (Cathy?) from Dallas...she owned The Short Stop (casseroles, sandwiches, baked goods) here and brought many of those recipes with her to the beach. In fact, HMM and I had one of those lasagnas last week!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Thanks much and please keep the ideas coming. I loved the Oyster Po' Boy I had at Shades by the Loop and I'm sure we'll go back there in December. I (and others we're travelling with) like to cook, but since there will be 8 of us, we'd like to avoid spending too much time cooking, especially dinners. I also don't want us to spend all of our $ on food. So, take out with drinks/desserts at home seems to be a good compromise.

Fonville Press, the Internet cafe at Alys Beach, has wonderful bread, by the way. They sell it frozen. So, my plan would be to get several loaves when we arrive and and defrost as we need them thoughout our stay.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Hey Paula....HMM ordered up some Zingerman's today for Thanksgiving! A sweet potato pecan pie, a coffee cake and a brownie sampler!!! He emailed this to me from his office and then had the nerve to say I might want to add a couple more laps around the neighborhood this week! But, I guess he is right!!!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Sueshore:

Just one slice of that coffee cake will cost a few laps around the office! We like our coffee cake toasted with butter in the morning after it has been around a few days. We'll be sending Zingerman's coffee cakes and other things for holiday presents this year as usual. Too bad they can't mail you one of their great deli sandwiches...

Zingerman's is a great place to support, too, because their two owners (Ari and Paul) give a LOT of money to charity and other community causes. They started Food Gatherers in our town -- a service that goes to restaurants around town daily to take some of their day-old breads, etc., and deliver it to homeless shelters and other similar types of places. The owners are two very nice guys who are making a living doing what they truly love and appreciating the community in which they do it. They also put one of their bakeries in the Detroit area to help the Detroit employment as well.

All this makes their wonderful food taste even better, doesn't it?!?!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
Paula said:
Hi:

Thanks.
Spicy Noodle pizza in Inlet Beach is certainly better than Bruno's and as good as Angelinas. They have pasta dishes that will feed two as well.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Santiago said:
Spicy Noodle pizza in Inlet Beach is certainly better than Bruno's and as good as Angelinas. They have pasta dishes that will feed two as well.
I second that.

At Publix pick up salad greens and some EVOO and a lemon for a quicky salad dressing. Get steamed shrimp from Goatfeathers. That's my luxury meal since we can't get good seafood where we live unless you spend a kajillion dollars at an expensive restaurant in ATL - not as good as the simplicity of fresh steamed shrimp IMHO.