• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

debesquire

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2010
I've been a 30A homeowner for more than 20 years so am very familiar with the area but this will be my first Songwriters' Festival experience so would appreciate some tips about how to best approach it for the most enjoyable experience. Most importantly, I want it to be a pleasant experience for my two friend girls that are joining me. What should we avoid and what should we not miss...best and least desirable venues...logistical tips, etc. Any advice 30a Songwriters' Festival veterans can share would be appreciated.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Great question!

Other than the large outdoor venues, most venues are smallish. That's good though because each is unique and provide an intimate atmosphere. But if there is someone playing you really have to see, then you have to go early to get in, and earlier or to get a good seat.

Half the fun is bopping around, the excitement of who is doing what, where, and planning where to go. But what really makes it special are the unexpected gems where talent and venue and listeners come together and make some magic. When you hear something awesome from an artist you never heard before you didn't expect. To do this you need to relax and go with the flow, and not get frustrated.

Here's a guide to venues - http://www.sowal.com/story/30a-songwriters-festival-venue-guide-2012

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Figure out a venue for each night, get there early to get a seat, eat something before you go, and bring cash to buy cds.

No matter where you go and who you see, you will see great music and often I enjoy the early performers more than the big names.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Wear layers! Ask a few no-names and ordinary folks for autographs. Be patient and loving and kind.

Foodlover

Beach Fanatic
Oct 15, 2006
South Walton
Songwriters Festival . . . Most of all - relax and have fun!

Most of all, relax and have fun! Do be patient as it is a busy time. Know that the artists really appreciate when you listen. :) Please do support the local venues. Many are serving food and drink during the festival. Shorty's will be serving from full menu! Yummy!

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Yes, being quiet so people can actually hear the performers is key! And turn off your phones!

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
The sunset from Shorty's was awesome tonight!